Favorite Downtown Disney Restarant?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

ldzny
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Favorite Downtown Disney Restarant?

Post by ldzny » Jun Tue 26, 2007 10:17 am

What's your favorite place to eat in Downtown Disney? Mine is the little Mexican place, Tortilla Jo's. We must have eaten there 4 times my last trip. Fast, large portions, good food at a reasonable price.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You hurt your what?" ~ Tow Mater
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JWG
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by JWG » Jun Tue 26, 2007 10:35 am

I'm a House of Blues fan, mostly for the atmosphere and because its not something I can to to around my hometown. We have a Rainforest here in MN, so I tend to avoid.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jun Tue 26, 2007 9:54 pm

funnily enough, I've never eaten in any of the DTD restaurants, save one time in 1999 when we ate at the Rainforest. Food tasted the same as the Rainforest across the border in Niagara Falls, Canada (more or less about 2 1/2 blocks and a river away from where I work) so I wouldn't really consider it a FAVORITE. I think I'd prefer HoB or Planet Hollywood (I'm a big movie buff). I'd like to try one of the Wolfgang Puck places, and/or maybe Bongos (I've heard some good things). we'll see what the budget allows on this next trip...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jun Wed 27, 2007 10:44 am

JS is, of course, referring to WDW's DTD.

At DLR's DTD, the best restaurant is, hands down, Catal.

Catal, Catal, Catal.

It ain't cheap, but the wine selection is stellar and the steak is among the best I've ever had (Ruth's Chris, Lowery's, Morton's, etc)... the small baked potato that comes with their filet is twice-baked, and filled with braised short rib meat. It blows you away.

So yeah, Catal. And for frame of reference, I have eaten at every sit-down restaurant in DLR's DTD save Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen... I have eaten there only for breakfast, not lunch or dinner.
~Steve

ldzny

Post by ldzny » Jun Wed 27, 2007 10:55 am

spaulo wrote:JS is, of course, referring to WDW's DTD.

At DLR's DTD, the best restaurant is, hands down, Catal.

Catal, Catal, Catal.

It ain't cheap, but the wine selection is stellar and the steak is among the best I've ever had (Ruth's Chris, Lowery's, Morton's, etc)... the small baked potato that comes with their filet is twice-baked, and filled with braised short rib meat. It blows you away.

So yeah, Catal. And for frame of reference, I have eaten at every sit-down restaurant in DLR's DTD save Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen... I have eaten there only for breakfast, not lunch or dinner.
Wow you are a pro! I've had the Shrimp Po-boy sandwich at Ralph Brennan, last time it wasn't too good. I'd love to try Catal, but we have a toddler... maybe when he is a little older.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jun Wed 27, 2007 11:09 am

There are kids in Catal every time I go and they have kids' menus... don't be scared away by stuffed shirts. Although, you know better than I how fussy your kid is. If he is relatively well-behaved for his age, give it a go!
~Steve

ldzny

Post by ldzny » Jun Wed 27, 2007 11:17 am

spaulo wrote:There are kids in Catal every time I go and they have kids' menus... don't be scared away by stuffed shirts. Although, you know better than I how fussy your kid is. If he is relatively well-behaved for his age, give it a go!
Not scared by the stuffed shirts, its kind of a crap shoot when you go to a restaurant with the boy!!! Maybe I'll try at lunch...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

js3901

Post by js3901 » Jun Wed 27, 2007 5:52 pm

yes, I was talking about the WDW version, sorry. only DTD area I've ever been to...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Wed 27, 2007 7:22 pm

I LOVE FULTON"S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

e3751
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by e3751 » Jul Fri 13, 2007 10:19 pm

catals baby.........

danimal3114u

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Wed 01, 2007 2:27 pm

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen has an AMAZING Brunch. It's probably my favorite restaurant at DLR Downtown. Their lunch is pretty good too. It's true that the little express counter portion of Brennan's isn't too good, but the sit down restaurant is excellent. I highly suggest stoppign by for a Brunch sometime. Great menu and live performances during the weekend.

Lobelto
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Lobelto » Aug Fri 17, 2007 2:16 pm

Catal

You would think that living in Orlando it would be easy to find good tropical drinks, but the best Mojitos I've ever had I've had at Catal.

billville
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by billville » Aug Fri 17, 2007 3:11 pm

Yes, by far catal or the uva bar outside is my favorite. More so the Uva bar for me. The atmosphere sitting outside and having a drink is the best! Especially after a nice long day at the parks, it feels good to be able to relax and enjoy some outstanding food with a nice glass of cab! This is a must for anyone who hasn't been here yet! :D
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3774/userbar506533aa1.gif[/img][/url]

"Now remember, magnifying glasses are for looking at little things.......not for burning little things. See Ya!!!"

danimal3114u

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Mon 20, 2007 10:33 am

It's interesting to see so many people on the board like Catals. Outside of this board, I've heard nothing but bad reviews for Catal and the UVA Bar. Everyone I've talked to said the service was horrible, and that the food wasn't that great. Have youa ll ahd different experiences than that?

slotofkit

Post by slotofkit » Aug Mon 20, 2007 11:27 am

Hmmm. I'm going to have to try Catals. I haven't eaten at all the DTD restaurants. I usually go to Rainforest with people, and I have to admit that Rainforest is my favorite.

A close second is ESPN Zone only because of the TV's that play any game that's on. And when I went there once it was during the NBA finals, and I didn't want to leave my table but had to go to the bathroom. Well, at one point I just had to go, you know, nature calls. I went and could hear the game, but didn't see it at first in the bathroom. Then looked up and they had TV's in the bathroom for each stall and urinal!

Okay, so maybe I grossed some people out with that one, but for someone who doesn't want to miss the game, that was awesome!
--------------------------------------------
"It's a tribute to all nations but mostly America"
-Sam the Eagle
Muppet Vision 3D