Worst Cast Member Experience?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Feb Fri 23, 2007 3:12 pm

I think we have a thread about rude and immature guests somewhere in this forum.

I don't really have any outstanding instances of rude cast members at Disneyland. The last time I was there was just a month after I came back from working at WDW. I was pretty much over-critical about how the cast members were behaving, but I can also sympathize with them to an extent.

It doesn't mean I enjoyed hearing about their awesome party the night before, or having them whip out their cell phones to exchange phone numbers, mind you.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

avastindy
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by avastindy » Nov Sat 28, 2009 1:52 pm

My worst Cast Member experience would be when we were going to the handicapped parking lot outside in pinocchio when an old woman said you cant go out there and held us up. My mom had to persuade her to let us through. Finnaly, in a huff,she let us through. It lasted 5 minutes. I said to my mom as we drove "She isn't having a magical day"
"Remain seated please; Permanecer sentados por favor"

"Everyone turn around and wave good-bye to the people back on the dock... Come on wave! You may never, ever see them again. But then again, you probably never, ever saw them before." - J.C.

metsofny
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by metsofny » Nov Sun 29, 2009 3:54 am

Well this happened at disney world so I don't know if it counts but I have red hair and I had a male cast member at POTC look at me and say "WE WANTS THE RED HEAD" in a sexy voice. I am also a man. Technically I was sexually harassed.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Fri 04, 2009 2:37 pm

As an ex-non-Disney theme park employee, I totally empathize with the CM's and the never ending parade of annoyances. I will always laugh on Jungle Cruise, thank a CM for their work, and chat it up whenever possible. There's enough other stuff they have to deal with...I want to be a highlight of their day.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Fri 04, 2009 3:21 pm

I've not been a cast-member (oh, the regrets! :cry: ) but I have known many. I think people forget that cast-members are human, especially if their cast members in costume. The physical abuse they can suffer from uncaring guests - ouch! I don't envy, and I don't want to make them suffer. I agree with MmeLeota, I like to chat with them as well - sometimes it can help when they know they're being treated as a human being.

hockeygirl
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by hockeygirl » Dec Sat 05, 2009 1:46 pm

The worst CM experience I've had was on my recent trip to DL... I got on the monorail at the end of the day to go to Downtown Disney. Since it was the end of the day, that was the final stop. I got on with my ECV in Tomorrowland, but apparently they didn't alert DTD that I was coming! The monorail stopped and everyone got off, but I couldn't because no one brought the ramp!!!!!!!! I sat their thinking, maybe they're getting it, then the cast members were preparing for the monorail to leave, so I had to jump off my ECV and flag down a CM with attitude. Apparently bringing over the ramp was too much work for him. I got the rolling eyes and the 'tude. Then he got annoyed with me for asking where the elevator is. Dude, I can't just drive down the stairs, OK?

But honestly, the good CM's totally outweighed the bad by far. The class that most CM's show is amazing. I commend them.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Sun 06, 2009 8:31 am

hockeygirl wrote:The worst CM experience I've had was on my recent trip to DL... I got on the monorail at the end of the day to go to Downtown Disney. Since it was the end of the day, that was the final stop. I got on with my ECV in Tomorrowland, but apparently they didn't alert DTD that I was coming! The monorail stopped and everyone got off, but I couldn't because no one brought the ramp!!!!!!!! I sat their thinking, maybe they're getting it, then the cast members were preparing for the monorail to leave, so I had to jump off my ECV and flag down a CM with attitude. Apparently bringing over the ramp was too much work for him. I got the rolling eyes and the 'tude. Then he got annoyed with me for asking where the elevator is. Dude, I can't just drive down the stairs, OK?

But honestly, the good CM's totally outweighed the bad by far. The class that most CM's show is amazing. I commend them.
That's too bad... :( But I'm glad the good outweighed the bad. :)

btw, I was thinking about you this past week...hoping all went well and that your trip was a success.

hackmonkey
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by hackmonkey » Dec Tue 29, 2009 2:48 pm

In general I find the CM's on the CA side to be a bit more gruff. Experience in DL has always been pretty good. CA on the other hand has the customer service equivelant of chuckecheese.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Tue 29, 2009 2:53 pm

hackmonkey wrote:In general I find the CM's on the CA side to be a bit more gruff. Experience in DL has always been pretty good. CA on the other hand has the customer service equivelant of chuckecheese.
Yeah, I've noticed that too...it's like the level of magic isn't there. Although, we were delighted when a CM asked if we would like to go on TSM again (near closing & DH in a wheelchair). Way fun, but my arm hurt so badly afterward...

cmaister

Post by cmaister » Dec Tue 29, 2009 3:11 pm

My wife and I had a few weird ones around when we got married.

The day before the wedding, she was being harassed by a CM on her way into Pirates. He wouldn't leave her alone and at one point he told her that marriage is like a pirate's curse -- at first it seems like a blessing, but then it becomes a curse.

And when we went to the park while we were just engaged, the "security" checking our bags on the way into the MK told us that we should make sure that we really want to do this, because it would be terrible to realize years later that we'd made a terrible mistake.

But that weirdness was more than made up for by all the CMs wishing us congratulations and the manager whom came over to compliment me on my wife's ring :-) and give us fast passes and VIP parade access.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Thu 25, 2010 10:14 pm

I can't remember any specific times when I ran into rude cast members but there always seem to be rude guests. Nothing bad against New Yorkers but the worst guests seem to have New York accents ~ maybe they just tend to be louder than others. I did shake my head with sadness when I had to listen to some college program cast members relive their escapades of the night before when I was behind them in line for an attraction. I think their parents would have been appalled at the things they were discussing having done while gaining a "higher education"!

kcookiebaker
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kcookiebaker » Apr Sun 04, 2010 9:36 am

Horrible person maintaining a line who yelled at my son for leaning against the railing...he didnt' want anyone even touching the railings...but that was eons ago and we got over it.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Tue 04, 2010 6:18 pm

hockeygirl wrote:The worst CM experience I've had was on my recent trip to DL... I got on the monorail at the end of the day to go to Downtown Disney. Since it was the end of the day, that was the final stop. I got on with my ECV in Tomorrowland, but apparently they didn't alert DTD that I was coming! The monorail stopped and everyone got off, but I couldn't because no one brought the ramp!!!!!!!! I sat their thinking, maybe they're getting it, then the cast members were preparing for the monorail to leave, so I had to jump off my ECV and flag down a CM with attitude. Apparently bringing over the ramp was too much work for him. I got the rolling eyes and the 'tude. Then he got annoyed with me for asking where the elevator is. Dude, I can't just drive down the stairs, OK?

I remember you telling me that one.

I can't really think of one myself... for the most part, CMs have always been wonderful!

Arete

Post by Arete » May Tue 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Back when I was a CM I brought my mom to the MK for the day. She is very allergic to peanuts and whenever she gets a trace it affects her ability to walk; at the time (this was before traces were mandated to be labeled on all food) she was in a wheelchair for every trip to the park.

We left that day in the afternoon after the parade. There was a bit of a rush. I could not get the attention of the CM by the exit no matter what I was doing, so I opened the wheelchair gate myself. This got her attention, and she actually came over and physically shoved me away from the gate; she was even reluctant to open it so I could push my mom though. :evil: As a CM I knew this was a horrendous breach of CM etiquette - you do not assault guests. You should especially not assault a guest who happens to be a CM who will immediately go over to Guest Relations and report you for what you did, both for not doing your job properly and for the shove.

It's been over 10 years and I immediately thought of this incident when reading this thread.

paul1232
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Re: Worst Cast Member Experience?

Post by paul1232 » Aug Sun 29, 2010 4:39 pm

I don't think I've ever had problems with Disney cast members.