Worst Cast Member Experience?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Just Believe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Worst Cast Member Experience?

Post by Just Believe » Sep Tue 26, 2006 7:05 pm

I know Disneyland is best known for the quality of their employees however, sometimes Cast Members can't help but to break character. But this excuse for breaking character really ticked me off.

We were heading towards the Hub and decided to see if any princesses were up for a quick picture. We saw Belle running towards the The Plaza and stopped to say hi.

We said in quote:
"Hi Belle! Can we take a quick picute?"
"NO!!! I need to go on my break!"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT!?!?!??!!?!

That was the most irritating, disgusting display of a Disney Cast Member.
We were going to report it to any high authority in the park so the manager is well aware but my dad said: "Just try to imagine being in her shoes. You would want a break after the first fifty kids."
Do you think have enough time to go the bathroom before the next show?

We can't you old fool, WE'RE BOLTED TO THE SEATS!!!

-Statler & Waldorf
Muppet Vision 3D

Gizmata
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Gizmata » Sep Tue 26, 2006 7:45 pm

I got scolded heavily after taking a picture of the control panel at Star Tours. The CM made me delete the photos before letting me on the ride.

I figured better take a picture now before they refurb and upgrade the ride, but oh well.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Wed 27, 2006 11:41 am

It depends on the cast memeber, I wouldn't have cared. Sometimes I would show people the window we can open to see the cabin moving around.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

bigthunderlover
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by bigthunderlover » Sep Wed 27, 2006 12:52 pm

It isn't really a bad cast member story, It's just an out of place cast member reaction. (and pretty funny) It was five years ago, I was 13 and in 8th grade and we we're on our Disney Magic Music Days band trip where we got to go behind Toon Town and they let us record over parts of movies in the sound studio and play games. Well, on our way back towards Toon Town, my freinds and I were wlaking down Main Street USA and having a grand ol' time taking in the sights, smells, and sounds. Then I see the wierdest sight I've personally whitnessed on Main Street USA. :pluto: Pluto is sprinting towards the closest "Cast Members Only" door.

So I laughed and thought to myself, "Wow, he must have really had to go to the bathroom!" :shock: But as I looked on I realized...I spoke too soon. Following behind Pluto (and also running) we're three Japanese exchange student teenage boys screaming at the top of their lungs, "PLUTO SON! PLUTO SON!" At that point I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe! :lol:
I do stuff sometimes.

weluvmovies.com
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by weluvmovies.com » Jan Wed 31, 2007 9:40 pm

I have two stories... one is an out of place cast member:

I was having breakfast with the Characters, back when Winnie the Pooh and friends hosted it. Tigger came out to me and was shaking hands, patting heads, photos, the works. When done, he slowly walked toward the back exit and was stopped by a Tigger twin! The two Tiggers were in the middle of a shift change and both appeared, just at different sides of the room. I guess if they had just kept going their own way, nobody would've noticed, but when the saw each other they both jumped a foot in the air and even though they were wearing masks, you could really feel the shock look of shock they both must've been sharing!

Story two... since even Downtown Disney Employee's go through the Disney training on how to never stop smiling, or whatever it is, this counts. I took my wife on our Honeymoon to WDW, when we first got there we went to the Downtown Disney area and ate at Planet Hollywood. Off season, late weeknight, not busy at all. We saw our waitor 2 times; 1 time to take our order(not drinks), and 1 time to collect the check! We had to flag down 2 bus boys, and someone else's waitress to get served! Now don't get me wrong, I always tip, very well, I might add, but it seemed like this guy had gone out of his way to ignore us, especially since he did nothing but help and pamper the older couple sitting so close we could bumb elbows! I paid in cash, exact change. While walking down the steps to exit Planet Hollywood, I hear someone yelling at me that I didn't pay for my meal, in front of a crowd at this time. I asked him how much money I had left, in fear that I really might have shortchanged the meal. He counted the money outside and yelled, "You know what, forget it!" This guy was trying to say that I didn't tip him, and somehow thought tips are part of the tab... sorry to disappoint him. Even posessed by the Disney spirit, I had had it with this guy. I went in to tell the manager how much this jerk had embarassed me for his poor service. I was really looking for a free meal or at least to be addressed as an adult and move on with my trip. Instead the manager called the waitor over for an appology and then sent him home until further notice, by that time everyone was being nosey and could here everything... dude probably lost his job, and I still didn't get a free meal.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jan Wed 31, 2007 10:01 pm

the Planet Holloywood staff is not Disney. they don;t go through Disney training (as far as I know). The only ones who are trained by Disney are the ones inside of actual Disney building (with Disney in the name)
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Halvogirl

Post by Halvogirl » Jan Wed 31, 2007 11:12 pm

i had to deal with a pretty rude cast member once who wouldn't help with the VMK quests, and told off a cast member for swearing but other then that everyone seams to be wonderful.
Yes, this is my happy place! Well, when not in my happy place.

It's official, The family is visiting Disneyland in October!

http://www.halvomassage.com
http://www.facebook.com/halvomassage

weluvmovies.com

Post by weluvmovies.com » Feb Thu 01, 2007 4:01 pm

From what I've heard, the downtown disney employees do go through some training for handling customers from disney, since they are associated with the disney park as the downtown area

weluvmovies.com

Post by weluvmovies.com » Feb Sat 03, 2007 1:49 pm

that sucks, I used to love going to Planet Hollywood, the Hard Rock of movies. Paparazzi? ...glad they can bring the most annoying experience possible to the dinner table. I always love the Disney service, especially in WDW. Planet just needs to step it up. thanks.

borjoyzee
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by borjoyzee » Feb Fri 09, 2007 7:58 pm

Honestly When I goto Disneyland or Walt Disney World, I don't have any bad experiences with a cast member. I do how ever rarely ever see one go bad on someone. I only go to Disney once a year and when I am there, I goto the park at least 3 days. Hmm, interesting so see someone had a bad experience with a cast member.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

MansionButler

Post by MansionButler » Feb Mon 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Oh no. . .
js3901 wrote:the Planet Holloywood staff is not Disney. they don;t go through Disney training (as far as I know). The only ones who are trained by Disney are the ones inside of actual Disney building (with Disney in the name)
No, business partners don't go through traditions.

By the way, that training is actually only about 5 hours, and it's not devoted to "never stop smiling." We are told that, but it's not an intensive training course. It's more based on corrections by supervisors while actually on the job.

weluvmovies.com wrote:From what I've heard, the downtown disney employees do go through some training for handling customers from disney, since they are associated with the disney park as the downtown area
Nope, only at the Disney places.

weluvmovies.com

Post by weluvmovies.com » Feb Wed 14, 2007 1:39 pm

thanks for the clarification :mickey:

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Feb Fri 23, 2007 2:47 am

Funny everyone talks about rude castmembers and there is only one page so far. It happens everyday. Funny part is, it is usually the same people everyday. They get old, and bitter, and then when they get into a situation that could easily be solved by just getting a manager or giving the guest what they want, they just argue instead and lie about it later. The union comes in to protect their senior members, so they don't really get into any trouble, or change their ways. Its really kind of sad.

Granted, many guests make rediculous demands, and are labelled rude for doing the best job possible. But there are some that take simple demands from guests as "extra work" and make life complicated for everyone.

I've seen those people that refuse to answer questions when walking to their breaks, then they completely change on the way to give someone else their break. They'll take your picture, ask about your life story, and find anyway not to have to go back to work.

I guess in this same line of questioning....Has anyone viewed or experienced other rude Guests?
Last edited by FlatlandMounty on Feb Fri 23, 2007 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Feb Fri 23, 2007 4:55 am

FlatlandMounty wrote:I guess in this same line of questioning....Has anyone viewed or experienced other rude Guests?
:lol: Too many to count

So many times I'd be happily working my way through the people who have waited patiently in line for the cart I was working on, and someone would just push their way in at the front and expect to be seen to there and then. The vast majority of times, pointing them at the line of patient people was enough to sort it out, however there's always the odd one who decides to claim he's been waiting longer than everyone else in the queue, just at the wrong side of the cart. I did have one chap go into a rant after doing that, saying he was there before the line was, and how he should have been served a long time ago, then he wandered off at which point I turned back to the people who were at teh front of the queue trying not to laugh at him. I apologised to them for having to wait for the chap to stop ranting and carried on with where I left off.

There's also the times when I was on the Pretzel/Churro cart outside the Great Movie Ride when it's getting close to the Parade starting, and the person who's supposed to come and refil the pretzel and churro cabinates hasn't made it out of the gate before the parade, thus not being able to get to you. Every now and then, a queue will suddenly form at that cart. (I never worked out the timing of it, seemed random!), and there's always someone further in the queue who gives you an evil look as you sell the last pretzel to someone who was in the queue before them. :roll:

Of course, there's also the silly questions :)

FWIW, As someone said, Traditions isn't about smiling all the time. It's a lot more about Disney and the way things are done (literally, the Disney Traditions), how guests should be treated, etc. As far as I know, Planet Hollywood staff don't go through Traditions (and also as far as I remember, that includes the staff in the Planet Hollywood store in Disney-MGM Studios)

Andy.

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Feb Fri 23, 2007 11:09 am

FlatlandMounty wrote:I guess in this same line of questioning....Has anyone viewed or experienced other rude Guests?
JS and I saw one when we were waiting for stitch, we needed the audio. A woman and her husband were asked to wait until the next show because it was to full. The woman refused and started saying that she was already inside the queue, but she sneaked in as the CM was being asked a question by another guest. She became abusive and the cast member called for the manager and for security and they were going to remove the two of them but let them go into the show and removed them afterward it was over. The funny thing was the husband just wanted to get out of this situation, and even said "lets go" meaning let go out and wait for the next show. But she kept pushing and pushing for them to get into the show.

If a CM says something to me I listen, because I know how it is in "retail" because that is basically what it is, you are selling an idea. Which means you have to suck up to the costumer/guest. When situations like this occur I try to observe it and remember it so if a CM or guest need a witness I can be there for them. 9x out of 10 it is on the CM's side, people get so abusive when they are at Disney. I think someone should do a study on this maybe there is a scientific explanation for it.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |