Riding the Monorail

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

artbaum
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Riding the Monorail

Post by artbaum » Apr Mon 10, 2006 5:10 pm

I've never been on Disneyland's monorail (though I have taken them at WDW), and I wonder: can I enter the park taking the monorail in from Downtown Disney? (Or do you have to be a hotel guest/have a re-entry hand stamp to board in Downtown Disney?)

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Apr Mon 10, 2006 7:00 pm

There is a ticket turnstile at the Monorail station in Downtown Disney. You do not have to be a resort guest, and the entrance is good for both re-entry with handstamp, and the initial entry of the day. They will check your bags like at the Esplanade entrance every time you want to get back into the station.
~Steve

rudekick
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by rudekick » Apr Mon 10, 2006 8:22 pm

spaulo wrote:There is a ticket turnstile at the Monorail station in Downtown Disney. You do not have to be a resort guest, and the entrance is good for both re-entry with handstamp, and the initial entry of the day. They will check your bags like at the Esplanade entrance every time you want to get back into the station.
This actually used to be the case, but they recently changed it. (My brother works front desk at the Disneyland Hotel.) During certain times of the year (i.e. high occupancy/attendance times) you need to be a resort guest to use the monorail. I think this is related to the fact that the monorail is currently only operating with one train on half the track, and it might only be restricted for the Downtown Disney to Disneyland trip (and not for coming out of the park), but I do know that sometimes there are some restrictions.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Apr Tue 11, 2006 11:00 am

The only restrictions I've ever heard of are (A) for early entry... obviously must be a resort guest, and (B) express entrance line at the Tomorrowland station for resort guests.

However, with the renovations happening at Tomorrowland station, and the reduced capacity of the monorail, the type of restrictions you mention make perfect sense.

Sorry if I gave bad info. The info I had was good as of last September, my last trip there.
~Steve

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Tue 11, 2006 11:49 am

I thought I read somewhere that the monorail was operating in shuttle mode instead of it's usual loop because of the renovations to the sub lagoon. That eliminates a section of track and shortens the ride duration. Anyone else hear something similar? Would that affect who's able to board at Downtown Disney?
"Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards--the things we live by and teach our children--are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings." -- Walter Elias Disney

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Apr Tue 11, 2006 12:42 pm

that situation is definitely going down, madorin, and is probably the cause of the changes rudekick mentions.
~Steve

ttztotdca50
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by ttztotdca50 » Apr Thu 13, 2006 9:03 pm

Yeah, I've been on the shuttle monorail track. It's not that bad - the only thing is that the ride is significantly shorter than the regular circuit track. Gets you to your destination faster, which is always a good thing... :)
Eleka Nahmun Nahmun Atum Atum Eleka Nahmun

Sub Ride Count: 1

bigthunderlover
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by bigthunderlover » Jun Mon 05, 2006 2:52 am

I prefer the original monorail. I like that it gives you all this information about disneyland while you are riding it. I persomally haven't been on it since they first started builing Indiana Jones.
I do stuff sometimes.

proudcanuck

Re: Riding the Monorail

Post by proudcanuck » Apr Fri 29, 2011 1:35 pm

The only reason we take the monorail into the park is to bypass the longer lineup at the security checkpoint. Always seems to go way faster at the monorail checkpoint. We also count it as a "ride" as well.

proudcanuck

Re: Riding the Monorail

Post by proudcanuck » Apr Fri 29, 2011 1:38 pm

The only reason we take the monorail into the park is to bypass the longer lineup at the security checkpoint. Always seems to go way faster at the monorail checkpoint. We also count it as a "ride" as well.