First Time To Disneyland

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Mar Thu 23, 2006 12:47 pm

zenmondo wrote:
subsonic wrote:Yes, that's "B side". And the drop is called "Dolly's Drop".
Is there a story behind the name?
To Dolly's Drop? I believe in the 60s or 70s a woman (whose first name was dolly) fell off the ride at that area and was killed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
~Steve

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Mar Fri 24, 2006 2:34 pm

I'd really like to go to DLR just to see the original. Believe it or not I have been to the Disneyland Hotel 3 times to attend conferences for business, but never got into the Park!!

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Mar Sat 25, 2006 7:16 pm

I too am biased towards Disneyland. I like having everything in one area. WDW just didn't feel right to me, too big. I enjoyed it tremendoulsy don't get me wrong. But in DL the fact that the attractions are just all just around another corner makes it more fun for me anyways. I have too often went from attraction to attraction instead of taking the time to experience the "themes of the areas". Most of the time its so crowded that it can be hard to find a spot to sit and reflect, though I am sure they are there. Maybe because I am so impatient I can't find them or can't relax cause I feel like I have to ride everything, see everything! I think when I go next time I will do 3 days, that sounds more perfect to me.
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Sat 25, 2006 9:13 pm

I'm now even more in love with Disneyland. I just calculated how much it cost me to go and it came to about $400 for 7 days(thats having a annual pass and getting a free flight on southwest airlines). WDW costs at least $200 dollars more. Plus socal isn't as humid which is a big bonus.

I also enjoy how DLR is laid out. I love NOS and the water front especially. I really enjoy the cobble stone walkway, and the way it steps up (levels are cool). I do wish tomorrowland was a little more spread out though.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Mar Sat 25, 2006 9:17 pm

Dr. have a great trip and be sure to post some pic's when you return :D

Dr. Ravenscroft

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Sun 26, 2006 12:04 pm

Actually it was for my trip last month, My brother paid the original balance and I owed him, he didn't give me a total until yesterday. I was around presidents day weekend. I will be going to DLR again in august (that is going to be hot). As for pictures they are still being worked on for color editing. I will post some of them when I finish editing. So when are we all doing a singles trip bostoncg?

greconp
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by greconp » Apr Wed 05, 2006 9:30 am

I'm interested in DLR myself, but we're finding that, in our planning, it's extremely expensive, compared to WDW. Of course, we're thinking of staying on-site, so I guess that's why. Are there any real reasons to stay on-site at DLR, or could we just stay at a local motel?

Dr. Ravenscroft

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Apr Wed 05, 2006 12:16 pm

I would stay at one of the local places if you can't get a better deal at the "on-site" ones. The two hotels that I have stayed at are the Portafino ( which was amazing ) and the Anabella ( which I did not enjoy ). The off sites are good if you get a deal with them, like AAA, or dinner's club or such. The reason the off site ones are good too is that DLR is within walking distance of many of the hotels and they also provide bus service as well. I just walked from the hotel, it took all of 10 min. through the parking lot.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Apr Wed 05, 2006 12:32 pm

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:Out of habit, I always go on the Matterhorn side that's facing Tomorrowland. That side is also the one with a small dip at the end. Both sides are fun though.
Is that the side that is next to Alice In Wonderland? Which is one ride I have to go on!!!

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Apr Wed 05, 2006 12:37 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:Actually it was for my trip last month, My brother paid the original balance and I owed him, he didn't give me a total until yesterday. I was around presidents day weekend. I will be going to DLR again in august (that is going to be hot). As for pictures they are still being worked on for color editing. I will post some of them when I finish editing. So when are we all doing a singles trip bostoncg?
Sorry Dr., I have been off line for a bit, found time to get online at work today :D yippie skippie!! I am ready for a singles trip! We really should think of putting one together. Like during winter time back here cause then the So. Cal sun will be a most welcome treat!!! I would have to shoot for next year :cry: cause this year Uncle Sam gets all my dough :evil: unless a miracle happens and I win the lottery or something. But seriously maybe we should say like Sept or Oct 2007?? Any other suggestions??
Can't wait to see your pics online!

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Apr Wed 05, 2006 12:49 pm

greconp wrote:I'm interested in DLR myself, but we're finding that, in our planning, it's extremely expensive, compared to WDW. Of course, we're thinking of staying on-site, so I guess that's why. Are there any real reasons to stay on-site at DLR, or could we just stay at a local motel?
I am sure missing alot by not being online everyday :cry:
We used to stay across the street at The Candy Cane Motel and it was fine. The thing about staying like at the Disneyland Hotel for example, was that it was a treat and made us feel like we really accomplished something by affording it, and having early entry into the park made it worth it and riding the monorail after walking all day long. Even though the Candy Cane was across the street it seemed like it was a few miles away. I decided to stay off site because then I could spend the money I am saving on shopping inside the park. It's really a matter of personal preference and what you want to get out of the experience. I think everyone should experience staying onsite at least once. Everything has changed so much since I have stayed there cause I lived only a few hours away and usually just drove up at 0 dark hundred for just the day.

Finances would definately play a part in where I stayed nowadays.

Hope that helps some :D

Dr. Ravenscroft

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Apr Wed 05, 2006 1:15 pm

The October would be good because I go down then anyway for the Halloween nights. O wait did you mean DLR or WDW? If DLR that would be OK too. But we should start this thing up a year in advance or so. I have to get back to work now as well but I will contact you about it later.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Apr Wed 05, 2006 1:22 pm

Either place is fine. I live closer to WDW now, but my family is still in So. Cal so that would be fine too 8) I have to get back to work as well. We can go back into the Solo/Single forum and continue this later on.

proudcanuck
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Re: First Time To Disneyland

Post by proudcanuck » Apr Fri 29, 2011 1:58 pm

The best thing about DL & DCA is that you can see everything in only 3 days. I think my brain would go into overload to try and see everything @ WDW in the same amount of time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: First Time To Disneyland

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 29, 2011 2:45 pm

proudcanuck wrote:The best thing about DL & DCA is that you can see everything in only 3 days. I think my brain would go into overload to try and see everything @ WDW in the same amount of time.
You really need at least one day for every park at WDW, and probably two for EPCOT...