Really good at WDW but first time at Disneyland! Any tips?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Really good at WDW but first time at Disneyland! Any tips?

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jan Mon 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Want to roll in like a boss!
Any suggested itineraries?

2 Days w/ Park Hopper, 1 night at Paradise Pier

I think I want to focus on rides that aren't at WDW, or are different versions (might have to skip Guardians of Galaxy ToT on principle :mrgreen: )

I've been carefully studying the MaxPass / FastPass system and think I've got a grip on it mostly. Not being able to plan your FP beforehand is annoying.

Questions!:

Must Sees?
Is Extra Magic Hour worth taking advantage of or is it better to line up at gate for opening?
Are the parks pretty steady all day or is there an ebb and flow? Do they clear at night?
Can you walk from Paradise Pier to both parks?
Quiet spots / recharge attractions?
Recommended food stops - 2 vegans
Any tips tricks love

THANK YOU FRIENDS! Super stoked. :goofy_bounce:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Really good at WDW but first time at Disneyland! Any tip

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 22, 2018 9:47 pm

You have way more locals here, but you are going to need to give more info in terms of when you are going. The crowds stay decently large in the slow times, but not as insane as during the summer or holidays. Most rides at WDW will be slightly different here. The only exception would be things like Star Tours, as it uses the same vehicle and video. Normally I would say try Trader Sam's but as you will have vegans in your party, the odds are good none of the drinks would work (isinglass is a common clarifying agent in spirits and is made from animal products, plus white sugar everywhere).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 23, 2018 8:19 am

when are you going kelpseaweedkelp? That will affect your plans greatly. And yes, you can walk from Paradise Pier to both parks. Cali Adventure is closer but both parks are small in comparison to WDW.
Go for the EMH!! You can either grab FP during that time and/or knock out a lot of Fantasyland just like at WDW.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jan Tue 23, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks Wizz Thanks Amy!
We are going Monday/Tuesday May 7/8

Oh duh - the magic of the Googlez
http://disneylandnews.com/fact-sheets/2 ... act-sheet/

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Can't say how crowds will be (they truncated calendars, so you can only go off historical data), but remember that Fantasmic and World of Color are FP shows, so you will want to pick those up early in the day. For Radiator Springs Racers, if you don't mind not riding together just use the single rider line if you cannot get a FP, which will save tons of time.

Another ride you can skip is little mermaid, aside from being an exact copy it is also terrible. Toy Story Midway Mania can also be skipped because it is the same as DHS. Pretty much all of Paradise Pier is skipable since much of it will likely be closed for update to the Pixar Pier stuff.

I'm not sure if your hotel is technically closer to DCA since (if i recall), the gate that the park had for the hotel was closed years ago. Technically, DLR is closer because of the monorail.

Which also reminds me, you should be able to cut through the Grand Californian to get to DCA (it dumps you out near GRR). Just make your way towards Napa Rose (which also could do Vegan, since they have better chefs) and it is right by that.

This also reminds me, the security facing DHS and GCH has their metal detectors set to a lower power, so wearing a belt through them will not get you wanded.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 23, 2018 10:26 pm

A Monday/Tuesday shouldn't be too bad I would think. I second Wizz's suggestion of single rider for RSR ~ excellent way to get on and off that attraction fairly quickly. And it is worth at least one, if not two, rides! If you like roller coasters, I recommend California Screamin' as it is super smooth ~ and the Mickey fun wheel is great if it is open. It is a fun ride and offers great views over the parks

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Wed 24, 2018 10:49 am

The only thing I would do on Paradise Pier that hasn't been suggested is California Screaming, assuming it's not closed for its re-theming. I would also make sure to spend time in Carsland and Buena Vista Street in general, just wandering around. The Monsters, Inc. ride is a lot of fun, too.

Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin is fun, but you can skip the rest of Toonland. Don't skip Small World even though there's one in WDW. Same for Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Matterhorn is a rough ride for us older folks. Space Mountain is much smoother than WDW. Grab a Dole Whip and enjoy the Tiki Room. Eat some skewers from Bengal BBQ. Grab a pastry at Jolly Holiday bakery. Take some time to relax and "soak it in." The rides are similar but the atmosphere is very different.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 24, 2018 9:51 pm

From the listings, and usual stuff surrounding big changes, the updates to the rides wouldn't open before memorial day. Mainly because it will be a high profile thing for the year.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Thu 25, 2018 8:22 am

Wizzard419 wrote:From the listings, and usual stuff surrounding big changes, the updates to the rides wouldn't open before memorial day. Mainly because it will be a high profile thing for the year.
I don't remember the projected reopening date for the new theming of that area. Do you? Summer makes sense.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jan Thu 25, 2018 4:39 pm

This is great!!! Thanks so much everyone for the tips - extremely useful and definitely helping with getting a bit of a sense of things. Keep em coming if any pop into your head.

Wizz thanks a bunch for the shortcuts through hotels and metal detector tips - dropping knowledge left and right and exactly info I'm looking for. I hate wandering in big loops when its unnecessary.

Amy I always chuckle at your descriptions of roller coasters and I don't know what you look like but I definitely picture you with your hair flowing back like Beyonce and a look of glee/terror with hands clutching the safety bar. Great about EMH - I'm thinking we will knock out a bunch of Fantasyland!
cy - Yes I'm really curious to experience the different vibe and soak in the "it all started here". Thanks for good ride recs!

How is the shade situation?

Has anyone tried out the new MaxPass? Worth the extra $?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 25, 2018 9:40 pm

Most of the stuff for the pier that is closed now (Fun Wheel, Coaster, etc.) all have a "TBD" for re-opening. As these are just reskins, those can be done faster and they are presumably going to get it running by Memorial Day weekend, possibly that weekend (it worked for Guardians).

Shade in DLR is pretty prevalent, the exception being the re-opened big thunder trail as they planted new trees along that and widened the walkways for Galaxy's Edge. DCA is somewhat less. Bug's land and Grizzly Peak are fine but many of the spots are more exposed. It is May so you won't see boiling temps yet. Summer really doesn't hit until July/Aug.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 26, 2018 9:43 am

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:...I definitely picture you with your hair flowing back like Beyonce and a look of glee/terror with hands clutching the safety bar.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sort of, my hair is long (used to be longer) so it is always back in a braid or ponytail, but I am definitely holding on and I'm quite sure there is a look of glee on my face ~ I'm at a Disney park!! :goofy_bounce:
I think the thing you will be most pleasantly surprised about at DL is how much smaller everything is. You look at the map, take a few steps and you are where you need to be. In WDW I was so used to walking and walking and walking and walking...well, you get the idea, but at DL, everything is literally just around the corner. DCA is a little more spread out, but it is still so much smaller. And park hopping is as easy as crossing an open plaza area between the two entrance gates. So much easier to get around!

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Question on World of Color! You can still see it from other places around the park, or you really need a FP?

What rides tend to run out of FP, if any? Roger on single rider lanes for Radiator Springs.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:43 am

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Question on World of Color! You can still see it from other places around the park, or you really need a FP?

What rides tend to run out of FP, if any? Roger on single rider lanes for Radiator Springs.
You don't NEED a FP to see WoC but the places where you might watch it will have obstructed views.

The only FP you need to pull early are RSR and maybe the new Tower ride... Guardians of the Galaxy something or other.

Keep in mind Peter Pan has the shortest line first thing in the morning and is rarely less than half an hour. No FP either.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Wed 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Since you are going in May, provided you don't have to see the first showing (and they are doing two that day) you will be able to wait until the evening to pick up your pass if you wish. The later show is much less crowded and you have no issue getting a good spot. At the same time you can also do a dining package or the dessert thing they also have.