Tower of Terror to be changed to Guardians of Galaxy theme

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Tower of Terror to be changed to Guardians of Galaxy the

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 12:41 am

That is correct, randomized drops didn't make it for some reason.

Though... WDW may not be so safe anymore. Apparently Marvel has been showing up inside the parks without legal issue which implies the ban may have expired.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 29, 2017 1:07 am

NaCler wrote:I'm ok with the change. Partly because it's in Cali and I know I will most likely not get a chance to go ride it. But, also I don't like having exact copies of rides in multiple parks (other than the original classic attractions, of course). When I visited a couple of years ago we rode the ToT and it was fun but it wasn't as good as WDW's version. I seem to remember that they only drop you once and not the random ride sequence like in WDW. So, changing it to be different from WDW is cool with me. I just hope that WDW doesn't follow suit at some point and change our ToT.
DL's version suffers as it doesn't have the same elevator ride out into the star field and into the drop chambers. We didn't ride it the last trip and I can't remember at the moment what the drop(s) were like in 2013. I want to say it dropped, rose, and dropped again, but there is no pinging back and forth like WDW.
I'm in agreement that I hope WDW's version doesn't become a Marvel movie version.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 2:09 am

Are you looking for the DCA one? If I recall it is (once you get to the hallway scene), you see the tiny elevator drop, you fall, rise up, drop, rise up to the second highest floor, drop, then it powers up (the lights above the car/shaft will light up for this one) and you go all the way to the top for the final drop.

What is surprising, remember how WDW pulled permits to put a bar in the WDW version's exit lobby? They cancelled the project. Not odd by itself, but right now the company is looking to pull in money through quick fixes like this that monetize the rides. DLR is adding a paid FP system later this year ($10/day) that allows you to use a mobile app and opens up rides that previously were not part of the FP system.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 29, 2017 9:44 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Are you looking for the DCA one? If I recall it is (once you get to the hallway scene), you see the tiny elevator drop, you fall, rise up, drop, rise up to the second highest floor, drop, then it powers up (the lights above the car/shaft will light up for this one) and you go all the way to the top for the final drop.

What is surprising, remember how WDW pulled permits to put a bar in the WDW version's exit lobby? They cancelled the project. Not odd by itself, but right now the company is looking to pull in money through quick fixes like this that monetize the rides. DLR is adding a paid FP system later this year ($10/day) that allows you to use a mobile app and opens up rides that previously were not part of the FP system.
Ok, yes, that sounds familiar on the drop sequence. Interesting on the bar idea being nixed in WDW. I wonder what ended up happening with that idea?
It will be interesting to see what happens with the DLR FP system. I'm guessing AP holders and locals will consider that a low enough charge to go ahead and utilize it. I also wonder what will happen with the paper FP system if the mobile version proves popular. I imagine the paper FP will be going the way of WDW's paper FP if people end up shelling out the money to use the mobile app. Win-win for the company. No need to staff the FP kiosks anymore, and less operating costs (I would think anyhow)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm thinking it was nixed because they are holding to see how the DCA makeover works out, if all is good then it is going to be done there too.

The AP pricing for the system is unknown, at first it sounded like it was $10/ticket, which would be nothing to an AP holder, then it was clarified to a daily charge. What I am waiting for is, knowing Disney's track record, what the first major weakness in the system will be where people are able to walk onto every ride.

It would be kind of a win, while you wouldn't need to put staff at distribution sites or pay to refill/maintain the printers but you also can't really do much with the spots. Depending on how they are going to collect money to give access to the mobile system, that also means 1/3rd of that automatically goes to Apple/Google and the salary for a team to maintain and update the app alone probably costs more than they were paying for an entire shift of FP workers.

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 2:52 pm

There have been rumors that they were going to change ToT to Guardians of the Galaxy at WDW too.( I can't seem to work up enough nerve to get on it, I say I'm going to go on it and then at the last minute chicken out .) I don't think I have an opinion on this one way or another, just wondering if they will indeed change it at WDW too.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 3:05 pm

It is presumably up in the air, mainly seeing how this performs as well as the cost of the changeover. While they won't be paying CBS for a franchise that is 2 generations disconnected from the collective consciousness, paying out for more famous actor performances as well as utilizing a popular franchise can get costly.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 29, 2017 4:20 pm

brerrabbit1 wrote:There have been rumors that they were going to change ToT to Guardians of the Galaxy at WDW too.( I can't seem to work up enough nerve to get on it, I say I'm going to go on it and then at the last minute chicken out .) I don't think I have an opinion on this one way or another, just wondering if they will indeed change it at WDW too.
I will go on it with you when we eventually meet up at WDW! :D I get myself a little psyched out sometimes as well, especially if it has been a long time since we were at the parks, but I always go and love it :goofy_bounce:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Amy wrote:
brerrabbit1 wrote:There have been rumors that they were going to change ToT to Guardians of the Galaxy at WDW too.( I can't seem to work up enough nerve to get on it, I say I'm going to go on it and then at the last minute chicken out .) I don't think I have an opinion on this one way or another, just wondering if they will indeed change it at WDW too.
I will go on it with you when we eventually meet up at WDW! :D I get myself a little psyched out sometimes as well, especially if it has been a long time since we were at the parks, but I always go and love it :goofy_bounce:
ToT is awesome! I love it. DLR had multiple rises and drops, but the same sequence and heights as stated before.

I really, really hope they don't change WDW.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Jan Mon 30, 2017 7:10 am

Amy wrote:
That sounds like a great plan Amy!!