I hate people - A Disneyland essay.

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

lavenderblue

Post by lavenderblue » Jan Sun 29, 2006 11:37 am

I saw a guy once with a stroller repeatedly hit people on the ankles after fireworks so they would all clear the way for him, most people did too after 5 or 6 hits. He never apologized to anyone (I had a stroller too, but I don't go around intentionally hitting people so they will get out of my way!). He and I ended up on the same tram anyways.

Another lady took my folded up stroller and put it aside once while waiting for a parade. I thought someone had stollen it at first. When I found it in the middle of the walkway, I brought it back, she said "no" and pointed back to the area I found it. I said I don't think so and through out the whole parade, she kept pushing the stoller into my back (were on the curb) until I finally pushed the stroller back about 2 feet and sat on it. She then tried to get her little girl to try to sit on the curb next to my dd, elbowing her way in. There was no room, my dd was next to a trash can and she was going to move the trash can but the people on the other side of it spoke up. I finally told her to keep away from us or I was going to call security. A translation later, she finally backed off, but talked incessantly and loudly during the parade.

Once a little boy peed in the dumbo planter, just got right up there and peed. When security came, they didn't speak english, but I heard them speak english earlier. They thought it was so cute.

I went on Splash Mountain and in the boat ahead of us, 3 preteen kids stood all the way up on the log, one foot on one side, and one foot on the other several times . I am surprised no one fell off, and they almost hit their heads on the entrance to a tunnel. After 5 times, they were finally ejected from the ride, when we clapped, the parents of the group started cussing us out. So much for parental supervision. I hope they were kicked out of the park. Of course they told us we were racist.

A group of people (various ages) were talking about my daughter on a ride, looking and pointing repeatedly. The grandmother figure started to fondle my daughters hair. I moved her ahead of me and gave them a dirty look and said don't. Later on in the line, at the loading area, my dd lagged behind and again the lady started stroking my daughter's long hair. I yelled at them and the older male figure let her have it, I am surprised he didn't full blown beat her right there on the spot. His yelling rang throughout the queue. He pushed her several times, including when she got ready to board the ride (3 cars behind us, they were a large group). After we got off the ride, they were no where to be seen, so I could not bring it to security's attention. I think maybe they decided to exit the ride before it started. I spent the whole day worrying about people touching my kids.

I agree, a day at DL is better than a day anywhere else, but I cant help but noticing such things. I do not point them out, so my kids might not notice. But at the end of the day, dh and I will discuss what we had seen. I never had a had bad experience in WDW, other than some giggly girls on the boat behind us on POTC.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jan Sun 29, 2006 12:32 pm

I have two sisters that like to talk a lot during rides or shows they just don't appreciate Disney like the rest of our family does. They're not bad, just talkative. Many people have asked them to be quiet during rides, sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. This looks like a good place to apologize for them.
They're sorry. 8)

Sarah Turp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Sarah Turp » Jan Sun 29, 2006 12:43 pm

Jikes! :shock:
I thought it was bad in Disneyland Paris where people think its ok to climb over a railing and into a flowers bed to get a better spot to watch the parade, or climb the trees to see the fireworks, but even they normally restrain themselves from urinating in public, although for some reason they seem to thin it fine to undress and redress young children in public when they spill something down them or have an accident!

If you're being harrases by people with strollers though, just cry out in pain and stumble moaning about it being your "bad" ankle. They will go really red and stop it. If they dont, next time they do it collapse down and grab your ankle. I've only had to do that once, but then everyone takes notice. A cast member came over and told the women off as all around me other people were telling the cast member how this women had been repeated running over everyone.

It always annoyed me that you would see children aged 5-7 in strollers. Why don't they just walk, particularly on busy days when strollers cause hell for everyone else. I was 3 when I first went to disney and I never had a stoller, I used my own legs! I think there ought to be an age resitriction, once you reach 4 years old you cant have a stroller unless it is for medical reasons.
Stitch is Back!!!

disneyinfopage
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by disneyinfopage » Jan Sun 29, 2006 1:44 pm

I was in Tokyo DL once and lined up for the Fantillusion parade. I purposely moved to the side of the railing / fence, so I wouldn't have to sit down; I preferred to stand. Once the parade started, I heard a bunch of yelling (all in Japanese, of course). Then all of a sudden, I clearly heard (in English), "Excuse me!!!". I turned around and the bunch of girls started giggling (becaue they didn't realize I was caucasian and couldn't understand them). They asked me to sit, I apologized, and sat for the duration of the parade. They were very sweet and thanked me, but we all got a kick out of the fact that I couldn't understand what they were all yelling about.

The point is, I didn't realize that I was actually in the way... I thought I found an out-of-the-way spot to stand. But, I was in a different country with different cultures that I want to respect. Although I was a little uncomfortable sitting for so long, I didn't want to be a jerk and block everyone else's view of the teriffic parade.

Judy :-)

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jan Sun 29, 2006 5:57 pm

Thanks Sarah I will try that when I go (in 19 days). If people hit my ankles I'll get them back when they get in front of me. I do that all the time when commuting. People bump past you hard and get stuck behind the person in front of you, all you have to do is give them a "flat tire". And I always wear my steel toe sneakers where ever I go so it hurts like H**l.

But I don't want to do that that would only encourge people to be more evil, start fights, and basically ruin other peoples vacations.

Brina78
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Brina78 » Feb Fri 03, 2006 2:37 am

I had the same incident with girls splashing water on POTC. My mom and I were in the very front and I got wet on my shoulder. I turned right around and said, "Please, stop that!" very firmly. I wasn't in the mood for that sort of thing. The girls apologized and stopped. As for the vandalizing, I heard items have been stolen in Mickey's House in ToonTown. I mean, come on! This is the famous mouse being robbed! No one is safe these days!

But, oh, lord, the smell of farts hit both my sister and I in line for Splash Mountain. My face fell into her hair and I was trying to inhale her shampoo. It's so claustrophobic in those caves before the boarding zone, I can't stand it even when there is no fart smell.
"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."-- Walt Disney on Disneyland

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Feb Fri 03, 2006 8:50 am

Sarah Turp wrote:Jikes! :shock:

If you're being harrases by people with strollers though, just cry out in pain and stumble moaning about it being your "bad" ankle. They will go really red and stop it. If they dont, next time they do it collapse down and grab your ankle. I've only had to do that once, but then everyone takes notice.
That is hilarious, I think I will try that even at places other than a Disney park :wink:
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

ttztotdca50
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by ttztotdca50 » Feb Sun 12, 2006 9:41 pm

Haha... good thing I'm a teen... when some teen tells me to f*** off, I can relay the comment back to him. :D
Eleka Nahmun Nahmun Atum Atum Eleka Nahmun

Sub Ride Count: 1

Sarah Turp

Post by Sarah Turp » Feb Mon 13, 2006 1:30 pm

Ahhhhh NO! Never tell a teen to f*** off!
It always just makes the situation worse. Just confuse them (it isn't hard!) and they'll back off. Depending on where you are and the situation you're in there are lots of different ways. One way is just to play dumb yourself. Tell them that you've been trying to learn english for several years and thought you were getting good at it, but f*** isn't in the dictonary. You keep hearing the phrase f*** off, but dont really understand. Everyone keeps telling other people to f*** off and it sounds like quite good fun. Maybe you (the teen you are talking to) could f*** off for me and show me how its done, I would really apprieciate that.
Works especially well if other people e.g. your mates play dumb as well and agree with you.
Stitch is Back!!!

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Feb Mon 13, 2006 4:57 pm

Tell them that you've been trying to learn english for several years and thought you were getting good at it, but f*** isn't in the dictonary. You keep hearing the phrase f*** off, but dont really understand. Everyone keeps telling other people to f*** off and it sounds like quite good fun. Maybe you (the teen you are talking to) could f*** off for me and show me how its done, I would really apprieciate that.
That's Great! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brina78
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Brina78 » Feb Mon 13, 2006 5:06 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:
Tell them that you've been trying to learn english for several years and thought you were getting good at it, but f*** isn't in the dictonary. You keep hearing the phrase f*** off, but dont really understand. Everyone keeps telling other people to f*** off and it sounds like quite good fun. Maybe you (the teen you are talking to) could f*** off for me and show me how its done, I would really apprieciate that.
That's Great! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would want to see that in action, not have it done to me. I'm almost thirty, but could pass looking like a teen. I hate confrontation, though, and try to avoid it at all costs.
"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."-- Walt Disney on Disneyland

stev02
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by stev02 » Feb Tue 14, 2006 9:07 am

If I had a license to kill, I know who I would get first. :evil: :| :x :? :shock:
[url=http://www.d-cot.com][img]http://www.d-cot.com/images/d-cot_button.png[/img][/url]

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Feb Tue 21, 2006 3:14 pm

This thread is pretty old though I never read any of it until today. The opening essey almost made me cry. Is behaviour like this a chronic problem at Disneyland? I've never been to DL, but I've been to WDW nine time and I don't think I've witnessed the valdelism or rudeness described. Have I just had those blinders on? Can anyone who has been to both DLR and WDW a number of times let me know if there is a difference in the crowd or what?

Dr. Ravenscroft

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Feb Tue 21, 2006 10:53 pm

It really is only true in certain cases. I noticed this weekend that there were allot of tenager's acting very disrespectful towards the CM's and Patrons. Yelling "do you believe in magic" in a sarcastic tone. And talking about taking things from rides. These are the people that shouldn't even be aloud into the parks.

Some of the kids in the park today were climbing the rocks by the entrance to tomorrowland, behind the fences. And I saw the same kids climbing the rocks and going under the stairs on Tom Sawyer Island. Their parents were off somewhere ahead(about 40-50ft away).

But then there were the real disney fans and family. They were much more well behaved. The people with strollers were really getting on my nerves today though, I got run over a couple of times.

MouseMan,

The difference between the two is mainly that DLR wasn't made for strollers so for every stroller in the park it takes up twice the space as one person (in somecases 3 to 1). WDW was created with this in mind, so when your walking through the park you will notice allot more space.

Thats just my thought as to why.

realcal
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by realcal » Feb Wed 22, 2006 10:16 am

It's definitely a space issue. DL is exponentially smaller than WDW and therefore, no room for strollers. When we took our stroller-aged children, we always opted for the small umbrella stroller(s). Many parents bring those SUV/Hummer strollers that can accomodate the entire contents of their hotel room, as well as their children. These types of strollers ar intended to be ramrods. It is just a different form of road rage. Going postal just went Disney...