I hate people - A Disneyland essay.

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

disneyinfopage
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by disneyinfopage » Oct Wed 12, 2005 7:27 pm

In defense of "..., insistent mothers ramming their Strollers into [your] ankles ...", I must say that, yes, there are far too many people with strollers, wheelchairs, and (the worst ones of all) the electric scooters who feel they have the whole right-of-way and darn you if you get within 10 feet of their path.

However, I must say that now that I have a stroller, I can't believe all the people who just jump right in front of your stroller, almost knock your kid out, and glare at YOU because YOU didn't stop short, hurling your kid 3 feet into the air!

OK, I'm done rambling. I do remember one time in DL that I was waiting for CarToon Spin and I was alone. There was 1 woman in front of me in line. Just as we got up to get onto the car, about 5 people push past me and want to join her. I said, "HEY!! That's not fair!" She looked at me and yelled in my face, "Shut Up! This is for the kids!!" Um, sorry, lady. But I don't teach my kid to cut the line.

Again, done venting and rambling!

Judy :D

Saxxy36
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by Saxxy36 » Oct Fri 14, 2005 12:34 pm

I read this and it made me soo sad. I just recently bought a Annual Pass and the more I have gone, the more I have seen of this. My parents would have given me the smack down if I got anywhere out of line.

disneyinfopage

Post by disneyinfopage » Oct Sat 22, 2005 5:36 pm

OK... I have to say that the first time I read this essay I thought to myself, "Hmmm, this person doesn't seem to carry the 'Disney Magic'." However, having just got back from DL, I have to say your essay was right on! I cannot believe the ignorant people EVERYWHERE in DL!!

Every time we turned around, there was someone cutting into line, cutting us off, jumping into our stroller, or literally yelling at people to get out of the way (when it was wall-to-wall people and no one could move). I was shocked and amazed. Not that this never happens in WDW, but I have never experienced anything like this. Even in our hotel (The Hilton), people would jump in front of you to get onto the elevator, or just to basically cut you off. It was more than annoying.

AND, I even noticed this with the Disney cast members, too! Last night (10/21) I cannot describe the throngs of people that they packed like sardines into the park. It was beyond wall-to-wall... just plain overwhelming. When we finally realized (around 9 PM) that our efforts to do anything were futile, we decided to leave. However, they'd already started "seating" people for the 9:25 fireworks and were telling us that in order to get out of the park we would have to walk around the hub in the opposite direction (we were coming from Tomorrowland and trying to take a "left" to get onto Main St.). I finally had had it (and had a huge panic attack coming on to boot), and went against their "instructions" and turned left to get out. The cast members started screaming at me telling me I was going the wrong way, and I told them that I HAD to get out... I heard one of them yelling to the other cast members, "Good luck with 'that' one!!". Whatever... I continued to go "against the flow" and got out.

The thing of it was, there was plenty of room to let 2-way traffic go by. There were dozens of others yelling to the CM's, too, saying, "You're not letting us get out of the park??? Are you serious???" It was ugly.

Anyway, I must say that I don't see a DL visit too soon... I'll stick with WDW and continue to go in the truly "off season".

Thanks for letting me vent.

Judy :roll:

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Oct Sat 22, 2005 5:55 pm

Wow. I'm so sorry that you had to experience that. But yeah DLR can get very hectic at night right before and after the fireworks. Even after seeing the Remember show more than a few times, I still have trouble maneuvering my way around those huge crowds. It just takes a lot of patience, and perhaps more than a one time chance at it.

But I do have to hand it to the cast members for dealing with huge huge crowds.

Ah WDW- I need to get my butt over there. I miss it.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

ttztotdca50
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by ttztotdca50 » Oct Sun 23, 2005 8:07 am

Ah, people. I think the poor Cast Members who work crowd control hate us all. :mrgreen:

Anyways, I HAVE seen people do these heinous actions. I HATE it when people think that they're the only ones in the park and that everyone else will just "part" to make way for them.
Eleka Nahmun Nahmun Atum Atum Eleka Nahmun

Sub Ride Count: 1

disneyinfopage

Post by disneyinfopage » Oct Sun 23, 2005 2:13 pm

ttztotdca50 wrote:Ah, people. I think the poor Cast Members who work crowd control hate us all. :mrgreen:

Anyways, I HAVE seen people do these heinous actions. I HATE it when people think that they're the only ones in the park and that everyone else will just "part" to make way for them.

I do agree that the CM's have a tough job to control literally thousands upon thousands of people. However, when DL expects to try to "control" everyone by making it nearly impossible to "escape", then I lose any sympathy.

Your comment about people who think they're the only ones in the park and that everyone else should just part to make way for them is a bit harsh. I agree that there are many irritating people (during parades, for example), who -- rather than walk through the designated crosswalk area-- trample on top of people. And, I'm not naive to think that my actions of "escaping" the other night didn't seem to be the same thing. But I also think that DL needs to consider the fact that they must make a better system for those who do not wish to stay in the park.

I remember this happened once at WDW... It was 4th of July weekend (understandably, it was a busy time). After the fireworks, EVERYONE tried to leave the park via the only way out: the monoral or the ferry boat (I'm going back a few years, here). The line went all the way back *into* the park itself! They finally "reopened" the MK and let us back in (to wait it out), but it was actually quite scary. What if something happend that they would have to quickly evacuate us all? Then what?

After that year, they started offering "alternate" means of exit. Specifically, that's when they started having the busses go directly to the MK versus giving you only one option to get out. They also started "closing" the park once it reached capacity.

I wonder if DL has a "capacity" that they would turn people away? It certainly didn't seem that way to me. Even one of the CM's working the merry-go-round said the crowds were a bit "unexpected".

I don't want to sound like I should be treated any differently or special, but I just didn't like the fact that I was in a complete and utter state of panic with seemingly no means of escape. I would never ask for special treatment... I'm sure there were dozens upon dozens of other guests that day who -- like me -- wanted to get out, as well.

Judy

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Oct Mon 24, 2005 4:24 pm

The last time I was at the park I needed to leave fast. The fireworks were about to happen. Being an Ex-Castmember I cheated and walked backstage from Tomorrowland to Main Street. What would been a 15 minute hassle turned into a 5 minute breeze.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

jeffiner

Post by jeffiner » Nov Mon 07, 2005 11:43 pm

then maybe you should stop going to disneyland cuz then it would be less crowded

borjoyzee
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by borjoyzee » Dec Mon 12, 2005 3:28 am

This was a great review of your day, it made me laugh because it is true! Seen it and been there with ya and wanted to do the same thing but I didnt because I am adult. BUT on the other hand I would let my uncle do all the talking and stuff. You should see him at DLR, so funny when he get mad at those kind of people you mention.

Plus i liked how you used your words.

8)
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Dec Mon 12, 2005 8:29 pm

jeffiner wrote:then maybe you should stop going to disneyland cuz then it would be less crowded
Ouch, that had to hurt!
Having grown up in So. Cal and visting DL at least twice a year for 20 yrs,(that's pretty good concidering I lived 3 1/2 hrs away) I have seen the crowds grow as there is less and less good clean places for people to visit. I am the biggest DL fan alive (so I believe...ha ha ha), I love that park! I do agree that in lieu of the times we live in they should definately offer alternate exits. If they had to evacuate the thousands of people there it would be a sad affair. I hope the DL authority has a plan in exsistance, and that we the general public just don't know about until it needs to be used.
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

CA Screamin Dude

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Dec Thu 15, 2005 1:23 am

I'm glad I don't work over at Disneyland GC - don't think I could handle that park, at least not yet. I'm "in training" over at DCA lol -- but I prefer my park.

I've had shifts over at Disneyland (I was there opening on July 17 [after closing at DCA the night before lol] -- wasn't too bad thanks to some great strategies in place), it's a madhouse over there sometimes.
Administrator, [url=http://www.visionsfantastic.com/]Visions Fantastic[/url], www.visionsfantastic.com.
[url=http://www.visionsfantastic.com/forum/][img]http://www.visionsfantastic.com/CASD/CASD-vfmediabar.gif[/img][/url]

realcal
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by realcal » Jan Mon 23, 2006 9:10 pm

A bad day at Disneyland is better than most any other day anywhere else. Carpe rodentia!

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jan Tue 24, 2006 10:15 am

That is true, it is better than here in Philly with public transit. I is as crowded with people trying to get to work as any of the Disney Parks (New York is obviously more crowded). I annoys me when in the crowds here everybody pushing trying to get to work and me trying to go as slow as I can to avoid going to work. Why does everybody want to get there that fast there is no Space Mountain on the otherside. When I go to Disney I think of wonderful things (have to find your happy place) and try not to pay any attention to the crowds, as difficult as it may sound.

zenmondo

Post by zenmondo » Jan Tue 24, 2006 11:22 am

realcal wrote:A bad day at Disneyland is better than most any other day anywhere else. Carpe rodentia!
What a great way of putting it.

addlema

Post by addlema » Jan Tue 24, 2006 1:19 pm

I turn my eyes to all of it but the rude people basing their wheelchair, stroller, buggy, whatever into me or running over my toes...

Thats when they get an earfull, even going so far as to catch up with a family and ask them kindly to please watch their strollers as they are dangerous to the ankles.

You have to ignore it. And if you dont want to get in a car, train, or log with someone just wait. CM's are usually very understanding about this.