Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Is new fireworks show too complex?

Post by daluke » Jun Tue 02, 2015 7:56 am

From the LA Times:

Is Disneyland's fast-moving 'Forever' fireworks show too complex?
"It will take some time to get used to the new “Disneyland Forever” fireworks show, which pulls your attention in several directions at once to the detriment of the pyrotechnics spectacular unfolding above."

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themepark ... tml#page=1

I wasn't there, but I did try to watch it via the stream. I did wonder if my head would need to swivel too much to see all the components.

Has there been any consensus on "better" places to watch from?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Is new fireworks show too complex?

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 02, 2015 10:37 am

I would think you might just need to experience it more than once to get the full effect. It looks really cool!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jun Tue 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Amy wrote:I would think you might just need to experience it more than once to get the full effect. It looks really cool!
I think that's the whole point. :wink:

We will probably watch more than once. I'll try to remember to post my initial impression.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Tue 02, 2015 9:22 pm

The other point was to not make it mandatory to be right in front of the castle and actively disincentive the practice by putting stuff behind them.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 03, 2015 6:48 am

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:I would think you might just need to experience it more than once to get the full effect. It looks really cool!
I think that's the whole point. :wink:

We will probably watch more than once. I'll try to remember to post my initial impression.
That would be fun ~ thanks!
Wizzard419 wrote:The other point was to not make it mandatory to be right in front of the castle and actively disincentive the practice by putting stuff behind them.
Makes sense. When we went around the 50th (I think) we stood in the hub off to the side and it was great viewing to see the fireworks that were 360 degrees around :D Still one of the coolest shows ever!

SeattleSuz
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by SeattleSuz » Aug Wed 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Wow, that looks so neat! I cant wait to see it on 9.29!!
Image Image

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Fri 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The other point was to not make it mandatory to be right in front of the castle and actively disincentive the practice by putting stuff behind them.
Speaking from experience at WDW and wishes, you basically need to fight it out to get into the middle of the hub for the "best" spot. My prior experience in WDW has been witnessing a fight in the hub and some extremely rude people staking their claim and willing to ruin everyone else's enjoyment with their actions.

360 degree shows are not the solution to this issue either as you put more pressure on the hub. The only way you can improve this "issue" is to place something on Main Street that would not allow the viewer in the hub to see everything at once.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Sat 22, 2015 9:14 am

Oh, I forgot about this post. In a word, no, the show is not too complex. How can I explain this...

IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

The best part was how into everything the crowd was. The projections and lasers only added to the fireworks. Plus, from a financial standpoint, they can be re-used, unlike the spectacular shells that explode once and are gone.

There is no possible way anybody could see everything at any one instant in time. Just cannot be done. Given that DLR is a park attended more by locals who visit frequently, this makes sense. You don't want a "yeah, I've seen that a dozen times" feel.

The first time we watched this show we were in the middle of Main Street. It freaking snowed on Main Street. The second time, we were on the hub. No snow, but we could see the castle projections better. We didn't make it to the other parts of the park for those perspectives.

My point is that the complexity is its best asset. It's like Star Tours, or ToT at WDW. You never know exactly what you'll get depending on where you are, but it's all familiar enough to be magical.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

SeattleSuz

Post by SeattleSuz » Sep Tue 08, 2015 10:45 am

cy1229 wrote:Oh, I forgot about this post. In a word, no, the show is not too complex. How can I explain this...

The best part was how into everything the crowd was. The projections and lasers only added to the fireworks. Plus, from a financial standpoint, they can be re-used, unlike the spectacular shells that explode once and are gone.

There is no possible way anybody could see everything at any one instant in time. Just cannot be done. Given that DLR is a park attended more by locals who visit frequently, this makes sense. You don't want a "yeah, I've seen that a dozen times" feel.

The first time we watched this show we were in the middle of Main Street. It freaking snowed on Main Street. The second time, we were on the hub. No snow, but we could see the castle projections better. We didn't make it to the other parts of the park for those perspectives.

My point is that the complexity is its best asset. It's like Star Tours, or ToT at WDW. You never know exactly what you'll get depending on where you are, but it's all familiar enough to be magical.
Is it better to watch it on Main Street or at another location?? The projections are only on Main Street, correct?
Image Image

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Sep Tue 08, 2015 1:28 pm

SeattleSuz wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Oh, I forgot about this post. In a word, no, the show is not too complex. How can I explain this...

Is it better to watch it on Main Street or at another location?? The projections are only on Main Street, correct?
[I am in grave danger of speaking out of turn here, so if someone (I'm looking at you, mmeleota, JenMuse, or Wizzard419) who knows more than I has better information, then please feel free to jump in...]

We only observed the fireworks from Main Street and the hub. There were projections on the MS buildings, as well as on the castle. My understanding is that they project onto the Matterhorn and Small World, and I think there's one other place that's prime for viewing but I don't know what it is right this second.

I didn't feel deprived of anything at the hub, knowing what was happening on Main Street. However, MS was more immersive.

Does this help?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

SeattleSuz

Post by SeattleSuz » Sep Wed 09, 2015 10:19 am

cy1229 wrote:[I am in grave danger of speaking out of turn here, so if someone (I'm looking at you, mmeleota, JenMuse, or Wizzard419) who knows more than I has better information, then please feel free to jump in...]

We only observed the fireworks from Main Street and the hub. There were projections on the MS buildings, as well as on the castle. My understanding is that they project onto the Matterhorn and Small World, and I think there's one other place that's prime for viewing but I don't know what it is right this second.

I didn't feel deprived of anything at the hub, knowing what was happening on Main Street. However, MS was more immersive.

Does this help?
That's very helpful! I was wondering if I could watch it over by Matterhorn or IASW, so that totally answers that. :) Thanks!!
Image Image

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 15, 2015 4:54 pm

We only got to see this show once and we were at the Town Square end of Main Street. As awesome as the show was, I really wish we could have seen it a few times to get the full effect, as well as watch it from the other locations. We had several Cast Members tell us that IASW is their favorite place to watch them. Unfortunately, with the timing, we knew we wouldn't be able to make it down there in time. As it was, we barely made it in time to see them at all...let alone from an "ok" perspective.

For the record, I believe the other projection location is the Rivers of America. It makes sense since Fantasmic! ends right before the fireworks begin, thus it would help the instant rush to Main Street that would always happen after the show. (Can anyone confirm this?)

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Sep Tue 15, 2015 10:46 pm

MmeLeota wrote:We only got to see this show once and we were at the Town Square end of Main Street. As awesome as the show was, I really wish we could have seen it a few times to get the full effect, as well as watch it from the other locations. We had several Cast Members tell us that IASW is their favorite place to watch them. Unfortunately, with the timing, we knew we wouldn't be able to make it down there in time. As it was, we barely made it in time to see them at all...let alone from an "ok" perspective.

For the record, I believe the other projection location is the Rivers of America. It makes sense since Fantasmic! ends right before the fireworks begin, thus it would help the instant rush to Main Street that would always happen after the show. (Can anyone confirm this?)
Didn't you just LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE it??!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Wed 16, 2015 4:57 pm

I had to keep picking my jaw up from off the ground so it wouldn't be trampled on... :shock:

It was phenomenal! More now than ever am I honored to have met the creative genius behind this work of art! I do kind of wish we had a better view, but even with the mediocre view we had, the show was spectacular!

(on a slightly off topic side note...Paint the Night was right up there too...had the song stuck in my head for days)

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Sep Wed 16, 2015 7:48 pm

MmeLeota wrote: (on a slightly off topic side note...Paint the Night was right up there too...had the song stuck in my head for days)
Yes!!! I loved it!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012