My Encounter with the Hatbox Ghost

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

My Encounter with the Hatbox Ghost

Post by ZenMondo » May Fri 22, 2015 5:54 am

So last weekend, I made it to the original Magic Kingdom and at the top of my to-do list was to ride the Haunted Mansion to see the latest edition, the Hatbox Ghost.

I gotta tell you, the glimpse you get of him is exceedingly brief, and I only rode twice so I tended to focus on little details instead of the overall figure.

The face which I think uses that projection technology that has been in Audioanimitronic figures as of late. His face is very expressive and his eyes squint and look around. The illusion of his head being transferred to the Hatbox is very good, but there is a good chance that it will happen when your doombuggy is far from the figure, either approaching or leaving the attic. It is timed in such a way that very few have a good view of the illusion.

All in all, I am thrilled with the Hatbox Ghost, and look forward to my next encounter with him!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: My Encounter with the Hatbox Ghost

Post by Amy » May Fri 22, 2015 10:07 am

I wondered if the illusion would be something that would be seen well by every guest since it seems to be a relatively quick transformation and independent of the travel of the doom buggys. Guess it is a good reason to ride through more than once. The videos I have seen of the Hatbox Ghost online have been very impressive.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sun 24, 2015 11:29 am

The only drawback is the "reset" is a bit of a jump since they have such a short window.

cfd3rd
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by cfd3rd » Jan Thu 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Saw the Hatbox Ghost December 2015. Even with the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay I thought the effect was cool. I did ride about 4 times so I was able to see the effect and the reset a couple of times. All in all I love the addition. Welcome back Hatbox Ghost!!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Oh my goodness, the silly hatbox ghost is in DL?! That explains why I didn't see the darn thing at WDW! :roll:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Sun 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Amy wrote:Oh my goodness, the silly hatbox ghost is in DL?! That explains why I didn't see the darn thing at WDW! :roll:
Yup, he was added to HM for the DLR 60th. And I agree, I loved the effect.

...I might be planning a return trip to DLR. No dates, of course, as we have daughter #1 to get through college, and daughter #2 immediately thereafter.

So, target, 10 years from now. Is 58 too old to go to DLR and ride the coasters? :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 10, 2016 3:44 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:Oh my goodness, the silly hatbox ghost is in DL?! That explains why I didn't see the darn thing at WDW! :roll:
Yup, he was added to HM for the DLR 60th. And I agree, I loved the effect.

...I might be planning a return trip to DLR. No dates, of course, as we have daughter #1 to get through college, and daughter #2 immediately thereafter.

So, target, 10 years from now. Is 58 too old to go to DLR and ride the coasters? :)
You're never too old for Disney! :D