Grand Californian, worth the $$?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

bamato
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Grand Californian, worth the $$?

Post by bamato » May Wed 28, 2008 8:41 am

I know the hotel is beatufiul... but I could never get past paying over 250 per night for a place I only spent time in to sleep ya know? I spend all day at the park and only retreat to my hotel to sleep.... why so much? Am I missing something? It would be nice if it included admission or something too.... I'd rather spend 90 a nice somewhere just outside the park and use the leftover money on spending money and food. Am I crazy? :shock:

Calypso
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Calypso » May Wed 28, 2008 9:55 am

No, you're not crazy. I stayed at GC in '05. It was beautiful and conveniently located (great with small kids!). Great pool. But, WOW, pricey. If I go again, I will not be staying at GC.

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » May Wed 28, 2008 10:13 am

I've been a few times. When I've stayed it's been in the $150 range, and you can usually talk to the concierege and get a good rate if they're not sold out. Disclaimer that I am an AP, but I actually spend a good amount of time in the hotel whether I stay or not. It's a great place to take a quick 30 minute timeout and relax in the lobby, and the grounds are so nice it's fun to just walk around. Some of the rooms are very cool and have the little Tinkerbelle fiber optics in the wall that will go off every so often at night. You also have great views in about 90% of the rooms (the only bad one is facing the other hotels). In most cases you're either directly overlooking / in the park (If you can get one facing the Grizzly Peak adventure area, that's the best!) or Downtown Disney. The park is great because you get to hear all the BGM music if you go outside your room, and it's really very cool to see the park at night after closing, as they keep the themeing going because of GC, so Grizzly Peak is lit up, Grizzly River Run is actually still going a lot of the time, and it's actually very peaceful. DTD was great because you could sit out on the balcony and listen to the street performers, but when you closed your window you couldn't hear a thing. I probably wouldn't stay there if you're there for more than a day or two (if you are, the Candy Cane Inn is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), but it's a fun thing to do very rarely, and you feel like a member of some cool club, being able to stay effectively inside a Disney park. :mickey:

bamato

Post by bamato » May Wed 28, 2008 11:34 am

What Danimal is saying is what makes me want to stay there. Almost as if it would give me a peak into the park after hours. Do any of the other hotels offer an inside look into Disneyland from a higher floor or something?

And I know the GC is gorgeous inside. My wife and I would cut through it when we stayed at an off park hotel. Not sure if they liked us doing it, but we still did. The main hall is absolutely stunning. But like I said... so expensive... And I spend no time at my hotel. But I have to say, it would be easier on my feet if I didn't have to walk down Harbor Blvd or Katella to get to my hotel. And it must be pretty convienient with the monorail right there. Thats actually how my wife and I figured out that the monorail boards in DTD as well. REALLY handy. Takes you right into tomorrowland right when the park opens so I can run to Space Mountain before the queue fills up :)

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Wed 28, 2008 7:14 pm

I've stayed in GC and the DL Hotel. I like them both. I agree that it's hard to justify 250 a night anywhere, but the convenience makes it almost worth it right there.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

MintJulepRoo

Post by MintJulepRoo » May Thu 29, 2008 12:57 am

I've never stayed at the Grand Californian but I seriously can't wait to. I think it is priced that high because you are not just paying for a place to sleep. You are actually buying more time. The last 2 times I've been to Disneyland, I've stayed in good neighbor hotels. While the hotels were nice, the transportation to and from the park was not. We waited and waited for the bus to pick us up both going to and from the park for long periods of time. It was so frustrating. If you stay in the GC or the DLH, you are located in the park and you get to and from your resting place a lot faster. I think it would be so fun to watch the people in Down Town Disney or at CA while in your room. It seems like the magic would never end. The rates are expensive but I think its worth the price to pay at least once in my lifetime.
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

NsDodgers
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by NsDodgers » Jun Fri 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Several times I have stayed with a large group in one of the three-room suites. I wasn't in charge of the finances, but the more people you fit in, the better the price becomes. And I think the suites come with concierge.

NWPrincess
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by NWPrincess » Jun Fri 06, 2008 11:33 pm

Staying at the GCH is a dream of mine as is the DLH. I've never been able to afford staying on site.

borjoyzee

Post by borjoyzee » Jun Sat 14, 2008 8:47 pm

I say, maybe one visit would be nice, but other than that go get a cheap hotel. It will save you some money.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

WishUponaStar
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by WishUponaStar » Jul Wed 02, 2008 5:44 pm

We stayed at the Grand Californian June '07 and absolutely loved it. We use our DVC points though, if I had to pay cash I'd stick with the Disneyland Hotel like we normally do. We do a lot of 'resort time' though, I like to come back to the room in the middle of the afternoon, use the pool, etc. I personally think it's "worth it" but everyone has different opinions. NOTHING beats strolling out of your room and basically into California Adventure park... it's AWESOME!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10701;442/st/20081008/e/WDW/k/39e1/event.png[/img]

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jul Wed 02, 2008 7:11 pm

If the place wasn't so pricey I would love to stay even if I am about 45 minutes away from the park. It would be nice for a birthday gift or a Christmas gift to stay a night or two at the resort.

JWG

Post by JWG » Jul Thu 03, 2008 10:48 am

I think the DLH is better from all but the "look and feel" of the GCH. I really enjoyed our DLH experience and have heard their services can be better (this is 3rd party) at times.

It is cool you can walk right into DCA from the hotel though... I do like that.
But, if staying on property, I say DLH is my preference.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

happyfunball
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by happyfunball » Jul Thu 17, 2008 2:42 pm

I stayed there for five days once, maybe in 2002. I didnt' find it to be much savings in getting to disneyland. its still a fair walk, and the room I had was quite small, especially considering the price.
it was worth it once, but I can't see doing it again unless its a special occasion. but I tend to only sleep in the room and otherwise I'm off doing stuff.
staying in one of the hotels directly across the street from the crosswalk is a shorter walk and significantly cheaper.
but, if you can afford it, try it.. it is kinda cool walking through that lobby to your room, and having a back door to dca is handy.