Possible Scattering Of Human Remains On Disney Rides

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

chefbuns
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by chefbuns » Nov Thu 29, 2007 11:30 am

I am not sure what to think about this issue. I do realize that the ashes will be "cleaned" up within a day, but when someone says they was their ashes spread over someplace, like the ocean, they are also displaced to places unknown. I know of a woman who took a family members ashes to the cliffs of the ocean in San Diego, opened the urn and poured them into the ocean. The wind blew most of them back up on the cliffs and the street near the cliffs. I think for them it is just the "idea" of where they were placed as opposed to actually believing they will be in that location forever.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Nov Fri 30, 2007 11:51 am

chefbuns wrote:I am not sure what to think about this issue. I do realize that the ashes will be "cleaned" up within a day, but when someone says they was their ashes spread over someplace, like the ocean, they are also displaced to places unknown. I know of a woman who took a family members ashes to the cliffs of the ocean in San Diego, opened the urn and poured them into the ocean. The wind blew most of them back up on the cliffs and the street near the cliffs. I think for them it is just the "idea" of where they were placed as opposed to actually believing they will be in that location forever.
Anyone see the Big Lebowski?

chefbuns

Post by chefbuns » Nov Fri 30, 2007 11:56 am

danimal3114u wrote:
chefbuns wrote:I am not sure what to think about this issue. I do realize that the ashes will be "cleaned" up within a day, but when someone says they was their ashes spread over someplace, like the ocean, they are also displaced to places unknown. I know of a woman who took a family members ashes to the cliffs of the ocean in San Diego, opened the urn and poured them into the ocean. The wind blew most of them back up on the cliffs and the street near the cliffs. I think for them it is just the "idea" of where they were placed as opposed to actually believing they will be in that location forever.
Anyone see the Big Lebowski?
EXACTLY!!!! :wink:
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

dimagineer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by dimagineer » Nov Fri 30, 2007 8:30 pm

Why dump them in the water? What landfill will Disney put the filter in?

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Dec Sat 08, 2007 2:40 pm

Is it just me, or is Disney missing a HUGE business opportunity here?

I think they have enough space at WDW for a Disney themed garden of rest.
Charge a fee to accept ashes and then place them somewhere where mother nature can recycle them so that there is always space.

An environmentally sound option that makes money for the company.

It might stop the random dumpers as well.
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Dec Mon 10, 2007 7:45 am

Actually, that's a really good point, Joe90. I'm sure that if Disney did something like that, it would really creep some guests out (even if this resting place was nowhere near the parks or resorts), but it would be a financial opportunity AND would let dying wishes be fulfilled...
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

FlyingMouse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlyingMouse » Jan Mon 07, 2008 1:35 am

I kinda like the idea of being flash frozen and vaccuum-sealed. Then launched on a rocket and shot towards the center of our galaxy. If I need to be sling-shotted around the sun and a few planets to get there, that's fine. I won't have anything better to do.

saritajuanita
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by saritajuanita » Jan Tue 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:Is it just me, or is Disney missing a HUGE business opportunity here?

I think they have enough space at WDW for a Disney themed garden of rest.
Charge a fee to accept ashes and then place them somewhere where mother nature can recycle them so that there is always space.

An environmentally sound option that makes money for the company.

It might stop the random dumpers as well.
OMG, you just made me spit macaroni'n'cheese out of my mouth! I know, they can attach it to the Haunted Mansion at each park, and have a running ticker of how many "happy haunts" have been added (over X served!).

I guess my feeling is - if you love Disneyland that much, pay for a commemorative brick or something - don't shut down the ride by dumping human remains in inappropriate places (they'll just get vacuumed up anyways).
"Pretty soon we'll be underwater - I mean, under<i>way</i>."

"Careful of the little ones folks, if they latch on to you they'll bleed you dry for the next 18 to 24 years."

Calypso
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Calypso » Jan Tue 22, 2008 9:18 am

I wonder if the person whose remains were spread thought about it ahead of time? Like the fact that the water gets replaced? I don't think I would want to know that my ashes would eventually be diluted and then flushed.