Golden Gate Bridge going...?

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

saritajuanita
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by saritajuanita » Jan Thu 03, 2008 12:49 pm

I read something about this on Miceage.com - the bridge is going, and the front turnstiles will be re-done in 30s-era Los Angeles style (somewhat like Disney-MGM Studios in FL). This is supposed to match with the new theme of the front area behind the turnstiles and the new Red Cars.

Of course, I read this in November, so who knows what they're doing now!
"Pretty soon we'll be underwater - I mean, under<i>way</i>."

"Careful of the little ones folks, if they latch on to you they'll bleed you dry for the next 18 to 24 years."

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jan Thu 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Yeah, it completely stinks that DCA will actually be getting Red Cars even though MGM's billboard has been "advertising" them since the park opened. :roll:

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Jan Fri 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Sounds like the monorail will cross on an art deco style bridge in the future, to complement the 30's styling. And the Red Cars are going to be great. Would love to see them at MGM but hey, at least they are putting them in somewhere!
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

2sfcaguys
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by 2sfcaguys » Jan Mon 07, 2008 1:34 pm

It does seem a bit sad that they will be removing the Golden Gate Bridge from the entrance. Thought it was a "cool" thing to see the monorail go by overhead as you looked at the entrance. Guess we just have to trust that they know what they are doing.

soccermouse
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by soccermouse » Jan Mon 07, 2008 3:13 pm

2sfcaguys wrote:It does seem a bit sad that they will be removing the Golden Gate Bridge from the entrance. Thought it was a "cool" thing to see the monorail go by overhead as you looked at the entrance. Guess we just have to trust that they know what they are doing.
I really like the GGB also, but I realize that it just will not fit into the new plans. The entrance that will start out were the letters are will be more of a 'main street' and will look like LA looked when Walt arrived. It will also have real sidewalks so that parades make more sense/better seating without the tape on the ground.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Tue 08, 2008 3:25 am

I hope they don't get rid of it. I always ride the Monorail and we go through it so that's something I'm used to see it.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Wed 09, 2008 1:31 am

I thought it looked lame. Having lived in San Fran, it's almost a disrespect as to how small and out of perspective it looks. Really, the whole concept of the park is a slap in the face of the intelligence of guests. At least to me. Disneyland has always had a problem of people going to California and visiting more than Disneyland. Like San Francisco and Yosemite. It was pompous of Disney to think that Guests would not go to the real thing if they could see replicas.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

garate55
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by garate55 » Jan Tue 22, 2008 3:02 pm

The Golden Gate Bridge can reflect the 30's era just fine and trying to make something out of the park that is literally right down the road is not smart. True the new area will have 30's LA feel but LA is right there, look around.
I think if they keep rebuilding and rebuilding then something ought to be done about their design teams or imagineers, cause something is really going wrong.
Dave