July 17th

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

borjoyzee
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by borjoyzee » Jul Thu 21, 2005 3:58 pm

Well i gave you my day.
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Jul Fri 22, 2005 8:04 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:All my Disney trips must be okay'ed by my parents. I told them about July 17th, and my mom goes, "I forbid it." There's really not much you can do after that, lol.
Don't feel bad, I am going home (back to So. Cal) for Christmas and taking 2 days for my son, my boyfriend and myself to go to DL and my mom says "I can't understand why you would waste your money and go to THAT place". I am 47 yrs old, so I can make up my own mind, but my point is some parents just don't understand our love for Disney :D
And my parents are the ones who got us hooked on DL, we went every year twice a year from the time I was 2 to age 17!! So I told her "well, it's all your fault anyway for taking me so many times as a child, I fell in love with that place." Of-course I said it nicely, she would probably still smack me if I was disrespectful to her, and I couldn't and wouldn't be.
I can't wait til December, not for Christmas, but for my trip to DL :D
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

urbancadence
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by urbancadence » Jul Sun 24, 2005 3:57 pm

I was there on the 16th and the 17th, naively unaware of the significance that July 17th was. I figured that since Disneyland had advertised on TV about their 50th a gazillion times, they were probably celebrating DLand's birthday everyday until they got tired of it - like 120 days of Christmas or something like that.

The 16th was cool, and but it was CROWDED. I got a Fastpass for Space Mountain around 10am, and the return time was 10:35pm!! This was the first time I've been on Space Mountain ever since they closed for refurbishment, and man, it was so-o-o awesome!!!

Anyway, the 17th was EVEN MORE CROWDED. But we got a 2-day park hopper, so the 17th was supposed to be California Adventure day. (Again, we were completely unaware of the significance of the 17th). DCA was, in contrast, very empty. I guess the only people in there were idiots like myself who didn't know about the 17th. Still, we got those cool golden Mickey ears with the date embroidered on the back. Stupid me thought to myself: "Wow, they're gonna embroider every single date for as long as their birthday celebration lasts for months and months? That must cost a fortune, dum de dum dum..." as I went on California Screamin' about 5 times (the lines were 10 minutes max!). They were giving away cupcakes throughout the park, and they were DELICIOUS. They had glittery-type gold powder on the icing along with colorful sprinkles. I appreciated their beauty for about a second before I swallowed the whole thing - YUMMY! And again, I thought to myself, "Wow, free cupcakes for so many months? That must cost a lot!". When I went back for a second cupcake (I know, I'm shameless), the guy said "Happy Birthday!" to me. Here comes the DUMBEST thing I've ever said in my entire life: Thinking that he said 'Happy Birthday' out of some Alice in Wonderland allusion, I replied: "An a merry un-birthday to you too!" and turned my attention to the cupcake, thinking that I'd shown myself to be a true-blue Disney fan... when in actual fact I should've been shot right there. (Right now as I type this, I feel like burying my head underground for the next 20 years.)

ANYWAY. We went into DLand just in time for the fireworks, and it was SO crowded that Main Street, USA wasn't moving at all! The show was spectacular, and only at that time it dawned on me - Wait... Dland's birthday is TODAY! And of course - that was already the end of the day. I talked to a guest relations official-type-person on the way out, and he told us that around 5pm, they showed Walt's inaugural speech on huge screens along Main Street, USA... the exact time that the speech was made in 1955. I kicked myself in the butt for not knowing better beforehand.

So that was pretty much the 17th from the viewpoint of a clueless moron, D'OH! Sorry for the lengthy post, though :(

ickymouse

July 17th...

Post by ickymouse » Jul Mon 25, 2005 4:38 pm

I really wanted to go, and would've dealt twith the crowds, but I had to play a gig in San Diego ("named by the Germans - it means 'Whale's V*****'..") for the Comic Con. I was bummed I missed it. It sounds like it was a zoo.

(sigh)

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by eagle4life69 » Jul Tue 26, 2005 12:07 am

yeah i'm just glad i got the map from my co-worker

larasound
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Golden Ears

Post by larasound » Jul Tue 26, 2005 10:19 am

I have got my July 17th Golden Ears. Did anybody else go?

larasound

I see some of you did

Post by larasound » Jul Tue 26, 2005 10:25 am

And yes it was a zoo, but the Disney sprit was alive and well. People waited for hours just to be the first in the park. I hear one guy was in line at 3pm on Saturday to get in at 8am on Sunday. Pin fanatics all limed up to receive their limited edition "I was there pin" which is now on ebay for $300. It was hot and crowded and the lines went on forever, but to be a part of that day was a once and a lifetime thing. My wife and I made plans to be there for the 100th. God willing we will be a young 78 years old.

Caramelswirlz07

Post by Caramelswirlz07 » Aug Sat 06, 2005 5:31 am

I was one of the ones waving at 7am on main st. with my fellow cast members :) That was the highlight of my day...i have never EVER been so excited at 7am!! I really had an awesome work day :D