POTC needing major overhaul

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jul Thu 14, 2005 11:29 am

I'm not sure how a well an anamatronic Jack Sparrow will look. With all the life that Depp brought to that character it will be very difficult to transfer the essence of that character, how he moves and carries himself into the ride. Speaking as someone who has never seend the DLR version but only the WDW version, i can't make a comparison, but i think the WDW version could definatly use a refresh.

DISNEYman
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DISNEYman » Jul Thu 14, 2005 1:48 pm

If a Jack Sparrow animatronic must be put into the ride, I hope it's a subtle reference. Having him be the center of attention in a scene would not be a wise move in my opinion.

I like the rumor of having him "sleeping" in the back corner of the prison. It would be a clever nod to the movie without trying to stuff it down our throats.

In regards to the leakage, the heavy California rains are to blame for it, or so I've heard. The rehab planned for it should take care of that.

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jul Fri 15, 2005 12:46 pm

I am willing to bet the Jack Sparrow part will either be subtle, or it is just a rumor. However, I hear they are toying with adding new effects. They already made the cannon splashes bigger in the battle scene.
-Club33Hopeful

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Jul Fri 15, 2005 1:33 pm

Sub, I totally agree with you on this. I am sick of the almight dollar ruling the mindset of everyone at WDC (we made it big at the boxoffice so surely we can captivate more by bringing it into the park)! I am glad the Black Pearl was a hit, I enjoyed it myself, but if I want stuff like that, I go to the MOVIES! I don't want it incorporated into a existing ride that I hold dear to my heart from 45 years of going to DL to ride on! I realize that a lot of DL is based on Walts animation ex: Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, Dumbo, etc, but they are not being re-done to incorportate new releases. I am sure I didn't say all of that correctly, I am at work dodging the "get caught online" at work ordeal =)

Is/was Walt the only person in the world with original ideas and imagination??? Seems like no one at the company can come up with anything original these days, it's all redo's and I am sick of it! I don't care if the younger generation (my son and grandson included) grew up in the tech ages and rides just don't stimulate their excitement level. Take a breath, relax and just enjoy the rides. We over stimulate our kids that they will never be satisfied with the rides like we older folks were and still are. Is that our fault, sure it is. After all I bought my son all the latest and greatest techie gadgets out there, now I regret it. At age 26 he still can't seem to get out of the house and be a part of society, he is inside in front of his TV with the XBOX he now has.....ok, I got off subject.

Point is, leave the movies at the movie theather!
I better get off line ....
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

larasound
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by larasound » Jul Tue 26, 2005 11:00 am

It was great to see a tribute to the ride in the movie, but a tribute to the movie in the ride makes me want to hurl. Bigger splash. Yes. New paint job and some dusting…sure. Recalibrate the lighting. Ok. I know its just a rumor but don’t put Johnny Deep in the POTC for God's sake is nothing scared?

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Tue 20, 2005 10:00 am

I posted this in the wrong place earlier..............does anyone know the exact dates the POTC will be under going a major overhaul? I will be at DL Christmas week and was wondering if it will be open. Also if it is going thru refurb, will the Blue Bayou remain open?

Does anyone know the phone# for making reservations and how far in advance I can make them, like months, weeks, days, etc.?
Thank you!
~Claudia

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Tue 20, 2005 10:22 am

I think I answered my own question, sorry maybe I should've went to Mouseplant and read before I posted :shock: ya think?!
http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/ ... htm#Rehabs

Pirates of the Caribbean closed March 6–June 16, 2006 for major refurbishment and possible show updates.

I found the Disney Dining info too :D see what I can do when the boss leaves the office......ok, now I have to get my work done, dang it!
TTFN

Club33Hopeful

Post by Club33Hopeful » Sep Tue 20, 2005 9:51 pm

Too funny. I just answered your other post before looking here.
-Club33Hopeful

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Wed 21, 2005 9:53 am

Club33Hopeful wrote:Too funny. I just answered your other post before looking here.
Thank you for the info! I am just hoping we actually do get to make it there Christmas week and no surprises pop up!

Fantasrick
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Fantasrick » Oct Sat 01, 2005 12:49 pm

The ride must take some abuse considering that it is almost 40 years old.

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Nov Sun 13, 2005 5:03 am

If it's just Captain Jack sleeping in the background, I suppose I won't have to start a riot or anything, but I really wouldn't like to see any more than that. I totally agree with sub that the whole movie tie-in thing is completely out of hand. Nemo, Buzz Lightyear and Stitch in the Tomorrowlands? It doesn't even make sense.
On the surface there is hunger and fear. Men still exercise unjust laws. They fight, tear one another to pieces. A mere few feet beneath the waves their reign ceases, their evil drowns. Here on the ocean floor is the only independence.

kronk's angel
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by kronk's angel » Nov Sun 13, 2005 6:58 am

Sub, I feel your pain. After what they did to Tomorrowland :cry:, I see that POTC could get really, really screwed up. And cheesy, like with lots "look it's Johnny Depp" moments throughout. And, if he does something embarrassing in the future (a distinct possiblity in Hollywood), it could wind up like Capt. Eo, and... Well, I'm too bummed to go on with that.

But I think spaulo has a good point:
spaulo wrote:Part of me wants to say "No! Don't update the ride with movie tie-ins!"... but after the late 90s PC-ifying of parts of the "sacking the town" section, it's not like it's Walt's PotC anymore anyway... so update away.
POTC is not the same. I remember vividly how thrilling it was in 1969(?) when I first rode it (age 5).

By comparison, my kids were really excited and enjoying the ride until they got to the PC-ified sacking section and they just got, well, confused. Sort of "Huh?" The story was lost somewhere along the way...

And I could see that -- assuming the movie was actually good -- adding Davey Jones coming out of the water, or say, putting a chest of aztec treasure in the treasure room, along with some dueling pirates could be fun. With Hopper-type audioanimatronic technology the pirates could really *move* now... (instead of just rocking back and forth).

But mostly, I think the story needs to be fixed.

In regards to the political correctness changes, I strongly agree that things like, say, murder, rape, and slavery are not fun, or funny, and that making light of them is problemmatic (at minimum) for society.

But, the original point wasn't "Hey, these colorful pirates were such fun-loving goof balls, how quaint they once were..." which seems to more-or-less be what people think of the ride nowadays (maybe the recent pirate attacks in the here and now will change that.)

As I recall from my perspective as a kid, POTC was very clear that these were very unsavory characters (despite how colorful they were), who were gleefully engaged in truly evil actions :evil:. So, in the end, we saw they got what they deserved... Metaphorically and literally, they were consigned to a fiery hell.

Made quite an impression. :shock: Dead men may not tell tales, but we can see what happens for ourselves, the ride seemed to say.

The loss of a common moral grounding has eroded the experience for many, I fear, and the "political correctness" installed in its place spoiled it. The story, and its moral, were lost.

Plus, at the time, the effects and scenery were so great. It seemed we were out in deep ocean water, and I swear I thought we barely escaped those cannon balls! :D

The movie, BTW, seemed to take up the original moral quite clearly, i.e., people who are disloyal to their own friends, while seeming to be beyond feeling, will one day feel the coldness of their actions creeping upon them (spoiler: as Barbossa comments after returning to mortality only to face death), and then they will be cursed indeed. The deepest circle of hell, I think Jack Sparrow predicted.

And not to nitpick but FWIW, I think the ride could use more "Caribbean" in it. It's always seemed more "Pirates of New Orleans" to me.

No matter what, though, they need to make sure the rehab doesn't conflict with the release date of the new movie! :D Those rehabs take for.. ev.. er!

My $0.02 worth...
No, no... He's got a point.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Nov Mon 14, 2005 1:48 pm

Topic locked to be continued here:
viewtopic.php?t=938

They are giving it a major overhaul. In my opinion, majorly bad!
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z