A Musical History of Disneyland - 50th Anniversary...

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

ickymouse

A Musical History of Disneyland - 50th Anniversary...

Post by ickymouse » Jul Mon 25, 2005 5:13 pm

I just got a copy of the Big boxed set of the Disneyland 50th Anniversary. Pretty cool. I have a lot of it already (Disneyland Forever, Collector editions, etc.), but there's some really cool stuff on there. I love the remix of the MSEP, the Mark Twain (with the steam whistle & bell), the Monorail, The original Mr. Lincoln show, The super-clean Adventures through Inner Space track, The 2001 Haunted Mansion Holiday show (the recent one was the re-done, Danny Elfman one), the Circle-rama 360 show and the New Orleans music track (Happy rag). Not too crazy about the cheesy reverb they added to the Tiki Room tracks. The book's real nice, great set-up (each land is represented with the track list and then has photos of each attraction over the next few pages). I get so excited every time they throw us a few more bones. It seems that one day, they will have released just about every track of audio or music.

I'll wait.

(P.S.: I LOVE that "Soarin' over California" track that Jerry Goldsmith did - can you tell? I request it on here every chance I get. beautiful, stirring track. Goldsmith rules.)

larasound
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

I saw this at DCA

Post by larasound » Jul Tue 26, 2005 10:52 am

It was rather $$$. Have you found it for less than $100?

ickymouse

50th boxed set...

Post by ickymouse » Jul Tue 26, 2005 3:17 pm

...It was a gift. I don't know how much they spent.

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » Jul Sat 30, 2005 10:10 am

I can't wait to get my hands on this set! :D

I love Soarin' Over California as well.

Manncab

Post by Manncab » Aug Mon 01, 2005 6:13 pm

first cool avatar their icky :wink:

i just love disney box art if you can upload some pics of the set so we can see what it looks like, I know the "disney online" has a pic but that just with it open so i want to see what it looks like

GoofyInOhio
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by GoofyInOhio » Aug Tue 02, 2005 1:23 pm

The only place I've seen it is at the Disneydirect website. Can you get it elsewhere?
Bloody Pirate!

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Aug Wed 03, 2005 11:33 am

I believe it's in Disneyland as well in the Emporium. That's not for certain.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Aug Wed 03, 2005 12:37 pm

In the past, they have been at the following locations:

20th Century Music on Main Street
Disneyana on Main Street
The Emporium on Main Street
World of Disney in Downtown Disney
Off the Page in DCA
-Club33Hopeful

ickymouse

Disneyland 50th music Boxed set...

Post by ickymouse » Aug Fri 12, 2005 1:45 am

I really love that 50th boxed set. They really did a nice job on a lot of the tracks - some of my favorites include:

The Haunted Mansion - did a nice job editing all the graveyard tracks together so it sounds more like you're on the ride (As opposed to the separated, isolated tracks heard on the 30th Anniv.)

Pirates of the Caribbean - Same thing - great mixing of the end scene with the city on fire.

It's a Small World - I have never heard a recording of all of the different music styles from all the different lands, as are heard on here. Especially the Hawaiian part (with the lap steel-guitar & “underwater” voices – that was always my favorite part)

Adventure through Inner Space - This, to me, is really the prize on here - a crystal-clear recording or the attraction's queue spiel & ride. Sounds awesome.

Carousel of Progress – How funny is this? I had a bad boot of this a while back someone gave me – and this one sounds great. I just love the whole Innocent, naiveté with which the Husband & Wife (I love how he always calls her “Mother” – creepy and priceless) talk about how much better the future is gonna be with progress during the Progressland segment at the end. Hilarious.

Space Mountain – this is the new music for the ride which just opened – I love it! It sounds like an old Johnny Williams-meets-Lalo Schifrin TV Cop-show theme from the seventies, only a little bit more modern-sounding. I don’t know why they feel the need for music on a rollercoaster, but at least it’s cool.

America Sings! – I’ve had this track for a while (released in Disneyland Forever), but now it’s got the original line “Was it Pancho, down at the Rancho?” line from “Who put that hole in my Sombrero”. It was thought too “racist” back in the 70’s (changed to “I just can’t figger…who pulled that trigger…”), but apparently now it’s OK. The tail at the end with Tomorrowland and Autopia is cool, though.

The Mark Twain Riverboat - I was really hoping for the 1990’s spiel on here, but I LOVE the Whistle & Bell SFX.

The Monorail – same thing – wish it had the more modern spiel on here, but the Monorail driving by and honking is really cool.

The Enchanted Tiki Room/Tiki Garden – Can’t really figure out why they added tons of reverb to these tracks – don’t really need it. I do like the little tail at the end of Tiki room where they have the Jungle cruise, however.

America, the Beautiful/Circle-Vision 360 – God, I miss this attraction! I know most people, by today’s standards, would find this attraction a snooze, but you have to remember that back in the 60’s when it came out, it was the IMAX or “Soarin’ over California” of it’s time. I used to love going in there, after a long day’s walking the park, just to lean up against the well-polished brass banisters & watch the vistas of America trapped in a time capsule of the 60’s. It was so cool. The music brings it all back.

Star Tours – I was really hoping for more than a re-hash of this track which appeared on the last Official album of the park. No ride spiels? Oh well. Maybe next time.

Remember – dreams come True (Wishes) – I love this track (except, of course, for the barfy kids at the beginning). This is one of those tracks that I will always remember the first time I heard it at the park (Like “Fantasmic!”) and it brings back memories of that. The best part (besides the middle with all the lands) is the end where it goes, “…and your wish…will…come…true…” over those chords – I love the tension just before it comes back to the root (where Julie Andrews says her end part) - always gets a lump in the throat. Yes, I'm a dork.

Haunted Mansion Holiday – I got a copy of this a few years back from a friend (and boy, did I feel special) – it’s from the first year of HMH. In my humble opinion, it’s better than the subsequent one that Elfman did. It was it’s own thing. It’s cool now, ‘cause everyone else can hear it. Corey Burton (the Holiday Ghost Host) does such an amazing impression of Paul Frees, he should win an award.

Main Street Electrical Parade – FINALLY!, They did it right. I’ve been wondering if they would re-do this oft-offered track that’s seen more re-edits than Pirates & Haunted Mansion combined! I honestly think I have, like, eight different versions of this from the time it was first heard on that old LP of the music from the park back in the late 70’s. I love the Bell chimes & the Snail & Caterpillar noises. I just wish they could’ve found the guy doing Pete from “Pete’s Dragon” that I have on an old video tape from back in the early 90’s who sounds like a So-Cal surfer-dude. “Cowabunga, Elliot!”. Totally.

Submarine Voyage – Sonar pings? Not on the ride.

Flight to the Moon – the Hostess narrating on this track sound like the hottest bimbo in the Galaxy. “Please be sure to take along all your personal belongings…including your imagination”. Genius.

(Mission to Mars was more my generation, though)

Roger Rabbit’s cartoon Spin – so far, no actual recording of the actual ride track has been released – only this jazzy version of “Hungarian Rhapsody”.

The Monorail Song – Disneyland Monorail/ Nation on Wheels – The Peoplemover – OK – can somebody tell me - isn’t this the same piece of music, only chopped up into different pieces? I have five different versions of this (the first – released through Disneyland Forever as “The Monorail song”) and they’re all from the same recording session and are just “Frankensteined” together. Hmm.

Matterhorn Yodelers – The Matterhorn Bobsleds/The Sounds of the Matterhorn – This is great. I’ve been wanting this for a while. Sounds great. Even has a little “Remain seated, please…” as the cherry on top.

Overall, if you don’t yet own many of these tracks, then this Boxed set is like hitting the Jackpot – very comprehensive. If they released something like this ten years ago, I would’ve wet myself. It’s nice to know that somebody, somewhere deep within the hallowed walls of Disney, is getting something this cool out to the public. And it’s about time.

-Ickymouse.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Fri 12, 2005 3:33 am

I think the new Space Mountain track sounds a bit like the score for The Incredibles
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Club33Hopeful

Post by Club33Hopeful » Aug Fri 12, 2005 11:25 am

js3901 wrote:I think the new Space Mountain track sounds a bit like the score for The Incredibles
Thats because they were by the same composer, Michael Giacchino.
-Club33Hopeful

ickymouse

Post by ickymouse » Aug Fri 12, 2005 11:45 am

Well that makes sense. I love that score.

Club33Hopeful

Post by Club33Hopeful » Aug Fri 12, 2005 12:08 pm

Call me crazy, but I bought one for myself to listen to, one for my dad, and two more that are unopened. I thought I would hang on to those for some special occasion.
-Club33Hopeful

ickymouse

Post by ickymouse » Aug Fri 12, 2005 1:34 pm

O.K.. You're crazy.

There. I said it.

(I'm just kidding)

chefbuns
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by chefbuns » Oct Tue 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Does anyone know if this can still be found for sale anywhere? Please help!!!
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney