Subsonic Running Club

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

Would you be interested in joining the Subsonicradio Running Club?

Yes
81%
No
3%
Maybe
16%

Total votes: 32

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: Subsonic Running Club

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jun Sat 15, 2013 12:23 pm

:mickey: I would be on the walking team :roll:. This is such a great idea!

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » Jun Sun 16, 2013 4:24 am

dsnymommy wrote:I'm just starting back with running after a 6 year hiatus. I feel like I'm starting from scratch. Anyone have any advice for this relative newbie??? :)

Take it easy. Then, if it is possible from the US, have a look at this http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx It is pretty good for a startup program.

Good old British National Health Service. :wink:
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by dsnymommy » Jun Mon 17, 2013 9:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:I'm just starting back with running after a 6 year hiatus. I feel like I'm starting from scratch. Anyone have any advice for this relative newbie??? :)

Take it easy. Then, if it is possible from the US, have a look at this http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx It is pretty good for a startup program.

Good old British National Health Service. :wink:

Thanks, Joe! The server did allow me in despite being on the wrong side of the pond. :wink: I'll definite give it a read. I'll take any and all advice I can get. And perhaps a bit of pixie dust too! :D :-)

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jun Mon 24, 2013 8:28 am

Wow, 21 interested. I know we have 17 likes on Facebook so far. If you haven't done so, please like us on Facebook. We will be posting a lot of questions about upcoming events so we can plan meet ups and other fun stuff so please like us! We have a new logo and will be trying to get shirts done soon as well.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jun Mon 24, 2013 11:08 am

I just received my registration entrance into the 2014 Cheveron Houston Marathon. I had registered for this because I did not believe I could convince my wife to let me do Disney 2 years in a row. Well, I got through the lottery and I'm running Houston January 19th, 2014. Is anyone else running Houston by any chance?
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Sun 21, 2013 1:07 pm

I know I'm late to this party! But this is soooo cool!!! I wanted to run the Tower of Terror 10 miler but it's now full. :( Ran this race back in '07, it was a 13K then, the medal is awesome! I would vote for a cancer charity, we've had many family members pass from cancer and now my mom is recently diagnosed with cancer. But, I would support whatever charity you guys decided on. I didn't read this entire thread, just skimmed it, so if I missed some stuff, sorry!

NaCler, so awesome you're running your first 1/2!!! Way to go!!! You will LOVE it!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jul Sun 21, 2013 9:45 pm

It's great to see you back B-babe! I'm sure I can use some great running tips from you to help our Club.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Mon 22, 2013 10:26 am

NaCler wrote:It's great to see you back B-babe! I'm sure I can use some great running tips from you to help our Club.
Thanks! How's your training going?! Are you signed up for any local races? If you've already been running I'm sure you've invested in good shoes, right?! That's my big thing, lol. Shoes, they make a world of difference!!!

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Mon 22, 2013 2:40 pm

I would add, if your going to go out and get a good pair of shoes (which I would also highly recommend) go on yelp and find a good local running store. Let them help you determine what shoes are good for you. A good store will have very knowledgeable staff and should watch you run a bit and tell you what your feet are doing while you run. Some may actually record you on a treadmill and use that to show you what you're doing. They may charge a bit more then an Academy or Amazon for the shoes but the wealth of knowledge they can provide is more then worth the difference in price.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Mon 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Absolutely jrcohen! I've had several gait analysis done. You may pay more initially from a specialty shoe store, but once you know what you wear you can find them at a better price online. I feel most people can't go wrong with a stability shoe.

Every distance runner has a shoe of choice...what's yours?! I swear by my Asics, Gel Kayano! :D

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Mon 22, 2013 6:25 pm

boilerbabe wrote:Absolutely jrcohen! I've had several gait analysis done. You may pay more initially from a specialty shoe store, but once you know what you wear you can find them at a better price online. I feel most people can't go wrong with a stability shoe.

Every distance runner has a shoe of choice...what's yours?! I swear by my Asics, Gel Kayano! :D
I am actually the exception to the rule. I tend to over supinate instead of over pronating. I use a support shoe instead of a stability shoe. I am also an Asics guy, but use the Cumulus instead. I actually went through years of stability shoes and knee and and foot problems before seeing a podiatrist. Once I found out what was wrong I went to a quality local running store (Hill Country Running for any in the Austin area) and got fitted with a good pair of shoes. It does make a difference. I've also needed to pay more attention to my gait when I'm running to try to stay pain free.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Mon 22, 2013 10:53 pm

jrcohen wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:Absolutely jrcohen! I've had several gait analysis done. You may pay more initially from a specialty shoe store, but once you know what you wear you can find them at a better price online. I feel most people can't go wrong with a stability shoe.

I am actually the exception to the rule. I tend to over supinate instead of over pronating. I use a support shoe instead of a stability shoe. I am also an Asics guy, but use the Cumulus instead. I actually went through years of stability shoes and knee and and foot problems before seeing a podiatrist. Once I found out what was wrong I went to a quality local running store (Hill Country Running for any in the Austin area) and got fitted with a good pair of shoes. It does make a difference. I've also needed to pay more attention to my gait when I'm running to try to stay pain free.
I'm not familiar with a "support" shoe?! I only know Neautral, Stability, Stability + and Motion Control. I'm glad you found one that works for you though and you're running pain free! I've been through alot over the years and I'm currently running pain free. :D In fact, going to run early a.m. tomorrow! I'd better turn in!

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Tue 23, 2013 10:40 am

boilerbabe wrote:
jrcohen wrote:

I'm not familiar with a "support" shoe?! I only know Neautral, Stability, Stability + and Motion Control. I'm glad you found one that works for you though and you're running pain free! I've been through alot over the years and I'm currently running pain free. :D In fact, going to run early a.m. tomorrow! I'd better turn in!
From what I've read and been told a support shoe is just another name for a neutral shoe. It's designed for people who underpronate, or supinate. Because of my high arches I don't roll inward enough at contact and stay mostly on the outside of my foot. The reason I call them support shoes is because they have have cushioning to take the absorb some of the shock the way your foot should naturally do when it pronates inward mid strike.

Since my foot doesn't naturally do that all of that pressure stays on the outside of my foot; hence the IT Band inflammation and joint issues I've gone through over the years. I'm still working through the IT band issues but they are getting better. At the WDW Marathon in January it was really bad. I was just glad to finish :mickey:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Tue 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Ok, I'm with ya now crcohen. Just never heard neutral called support. We learn something new everyday! :D I'm the opposite of you, I'm flat footed. I was dealing with a low back/hamstring issue for the 1/2 in Disney in '12, I was thrilled I finished, I know the feeling!!!

Ran a strong 5 miler this a.m. on the hills in downtown Valpo. :goofy_bounce:

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jul Tue 23, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm definitely an over pronator and I settled on the Saucony Omni 11.