Subsonic Running Club

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

Would you be interested in joining the Subsonicradio Running Club?

Yes
81%
No
3%
Maybe
16%

Total votes: 32

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Subsonic Running Club

Post by rdeacon » Apr Thu 25, 2013 10:36 am

There are a bunch of runners here at subsonic, including me a new convert who is training for the Tower of Terror 10 miler. NaCler came up with the awesome idea of us starting a club. We would design some custom running shirts and meet up before and after the races. He also had the great idea that we should use the club to raise money for charities. So what do you think? We are still kicking around name ideas but want to see what the interest level is. So let us know if you want to join!

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Subsonic Running Club

Post by subsonic » Apr Thu 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Ooh, awesome! And, I love that people are trying to keep in shape. I truly hope that if the group starts here, the shirts will have some kind of nod to Subsonic Radio. :)
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Apr Thu 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Oh the shirts are sooo going to be SR based.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Apr Thu 25, 2013 11:48 pm

I would like to add that it will be a running and cheer team and there is no pressure to run in any race. It will not cost anything to join the team we just ask that you try to raise money for whatever charity we can agree on as a team. I'm thinking we would have a separate FB page where people could post about local races they are in or training for.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Thank you so much for getting this rolling rdeacon!

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Apr Fri 26, 2013 10:01 am

Hey, great idea. Go ahead and throw me in. Just say when and where to sign up.

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by dsnymommy » Apr Fri 26, 2013 10:06 am

It will be a while before I'm able to run in any Disney running events, but I just started training again for local races. So, while I won't be there in body, I'll be there in spirit!

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Apr Fri 26, 2013 1:43 pm

I would be very interested. I would even say we could try to meet up at local events and not just Disney running events. I would love some folks to run with in the Austin area and across the Texas events I usually do.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Apr Fri 26, 2013 1:44 pm

subsonic wrote:Ooh, awesome! And, I love that people are trying to keep in shape. I truly hope that if the group starts here, the shirts will have some kind of nod to Subsonic Radio. :)
I'd pay for an Subsonic Tech shirt. I think that would be better then just Tees as we could wear them to events!
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

Monakie78
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Monakie78 » Apr Fri 26, 2013 4:15 pm

I'd love to join your running club! But unfortunately, I'd have to plan a Disney race out in a few years. I'd still like to be in the loop of your events. We go to Disney World almost every year, last year we went twice and I'm going on a girls' trip, starting out in Disneyland next week. My husband says we have to wait a while before Disney World again. Something to do with saving up money for other things and not just Disney, blah, blah, blah :mickey:

I live in the Nashville area if there is anyone else out there that wants to do races in Nashville. I just started getting into obstacle races, finished Hero Rush last weekend....doing Fired Up N' Fit in June. Maybe traveling to Atlanta to do Rugged Manic in August. Probably doing a half marathon in Sept around Nashville. My girlfriends & I talked about our dream race being in Disney World....so count me in as a team member and dreams of joining you in the future! :wink:

In the meantime, if anyone out there lives around Nashville-drop me a line if you wish....upon a star. :lol:

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Apr Mon 29, 2013 1:05 am

It looks like this is going to happen. I figured if we had about 10 yays then we would try it. We will probably update this thread, establish a Facebook group, maybe even a twitter account. There will be a few matters of business to complete first, such as choose a charity to support, create a slogan for the group and back of our shirts, etc...

What type of charity do we want to support? I know several of us have been affected by cancer, so I would suggest something along those lines. However, since we are a Disney themed site, do we want to support a Disney type of charity such as Give Kids the World or Make a Wish? Any suggestions will be considered. Once we get a few suggestions we can vote as a team. Once we choose the charity we will setup a contribution page kind of like what we had for the Sub donations and 100% will go to the charity.

I think only one or two people are doing the Tower of Terror 10 miler, so our first official group event may be the Wine and Dine Half in November since a few more are registered. We'll see how fast we can get this thing rolling.

That's all for now. Once I get the FB group up I'll let you know so you can join up.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Apr Mon 29, 2013 1:15 am

Monakie78 - you don't have to be close to WDW or DL to be a part of our group. You don't even have to run in a Disney race ever. If you run locally you are encouraged to post about it and if you get one of our shirts we'd love to see pics of you running with it on. You can support from far away and hopefully one day you can do a Disney race. The goal of our club is to stay active, be healthy, help a great charity and draw more attention to our great site. We want people to post about their training or runs they are doing and pass along tips to help the team. Welcome to our site and to our team!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Apr Mon 29, 2013 1:53 am

Quick update: We now have an email address, SubsonicRunningClub@comcast.net and a Twitter account: @RunSubsonic

FB account coming soon...

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Apr Mon 29, 2013 1:39 pm

[quote="NaCler"]
I think only one or two people are doing the Tower of Terror 10 miler, so our first official group event may be the Wine and Dine Half in November since a few more are registered. We'll see how fast we can get this thing rolling.

Darn it. I promised my wife that since I signed up for the Dopey in January, I would not sign up and go down 2 months earlier for the Wine and Dine. Now you are making me think about how I can weasel out of that agreement.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Apr Mon 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Haha.. Don't worry cccmouse, the W&D wouldn't be anything big since I don't think there are a lot of people registered for it. Our first big meet up will be in January. Don't get the Mrs upset!

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Tue 30, 2013 4:16 am

Can I be an overseas member?
Hopefully it might help me with my own return to fitness :)