Subsonic Running Club

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

Would you be interested in joining the Subsonicradio Running Club?

Yes
81%
No
3%
Maybe
16%

Total votes: 32

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Subsonic Running Club

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Thu 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Glad you're back to running dsnymommy!!! :D Good luck with your 5K, let us know how it goes! What is the date of your event?

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Aug Sat 03, 2013 1:23 pm

dsnymommy wrote:Each of you is so inspirational! I'm training for my first official 5k this fall. I used to run before, but never did any events. 5k seems doable, 10k something I could train for, 1/2 marathon I'd love to do but questionable. Anything else seems like it would never happen. Can't wait to hear how everyone's events go!
I am sure you are able to do a Half Marathon dsnymommy it just takes a lot of training.
I am an old cogger compared to most of the others and had never run until a couple of years ago but I ran a Half last September.
It was not quick and I am sure not pretty to watch either :lol: :lol: :lol: but I did it within the time allotted for a Disney race so I was a happy bunny. This September I do it all again and if I am really lucky a little faster, not that I care about the times it is just nice to be able to say that you have done it.
The big one for me will be the 2015 marathon weekend at Disney when the gang get together. I am not sure what to run in yet but I would really like to do the marathon, we will have to see if the old body holds up to that :roll: .

Monakie78
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Monakie78 » Aug Sat 03, 2013 3:46 pm

dsnymommy wrote:
Botts wrote:
dsnymommy wrote: Monakie78, have you noticed any negatives to working out that often? I used to run 4-5 times a week, or at least do something. But I have a couch to 5k app that I just started using that suggests only 3 days a week and then to rest your muscles the rest of the days. So now I'm of two minds as to what to do. :?
I've been using the training guides on rundisney.com as I've never run before. I run the 3 days a week it suggests, then do strength training on 3 other days, taking one day off.

I used to kayak for the Canadian National Team, and as long as you're resting parts of your body alternately it's ok. I.e. cardio on day 1,3,5, strength on 2,4,6 and 7 off worked well for me.

Thanks for the info Botts! I'll definitely give it a try then. I am not admittedly as educated in running as I should be, but I'm trying to be better in that area. Not as young as I used to be and see injury lurking around every corner! :o
Sorry, dsnymommy-I need to change my settings, I didn't see your post until now. To answer your question....no there are no negatives to working out that often. My former cross country coach suggested 1 day of rest per week, 2 at max. We would alternate workout days between slower/longer runs with faster/muscle building workouts including weights. Botts suggestions are great....alternate days of strength vs cardio. I am no stranger to injuries. The more you rest because you feel sore & then try to reboot, the more at risk for injury you will be. The phrase "no pain, no gain" is true. You may be really sore, but keep moving at a doable level. Maybe on your easier days all you can do is walk or go for an easy bike ride. I promise you that the soreness will go away. Keep achievable goals & push yourself steadily. Your strength will increase & pain will become a thing of the past.

By the way...it's been a few months. How are your workouts going? -Monica

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Aug Sat 03, 2013 10:13 pm

BB and others mentioned how important it is to get good shoes for running. Please check out the new edition of Runners World magazine as there is a big article on the new shoes that are coming out and a guide on how to pick the best one for you.

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » Aug Sun 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello all experienced Disneyland runners! I'm setting a goal to do a Disneyland race in 2014 or 2015. My friend from CA will be joining me. We're going to do at least a 10k. From her past Disneyland race experience, she was in a mass of people & said she had no choice but to walk for parts of the race. She really doesn't run anyway, mostly walks races. :? I started reading through rules on the races and it said "New 2014" rules. It talked about proof of time to get into the proper corral. Has anyone gone through the experience of being put into a corral of racers at your speed? Were you able to run the race? Or was it so packed that you had to walk too? I'm going to be pretty bummed to get myself all worked up to do a Disney race, only to be forced to walk it because of the crowd.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Sun 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Monakie78, we have run quite a few Disney World races. The bigger races (1/2 Marathon) we had to show proof of time. There are so many runners though, you shuffle a bit the first 2 miles I'd say, then it starts to thin out and you can weave your way through the people. By the 4th mile, there is no issue. The corrals help b/c you don't have people that start off running and then immediately start to walk and don't know race etiquette, and don't go over to the side as to not block the other runners. In my personal opinion, Disney is not a race to try and PR. Others might feel differently, of course.

When we ran the 1/2 in '05, that was when they still ran the 1/2 and the full on the same day, we had corral "L". Then in '12 they already started to spilt up the days of the races b/c they have become so popular. So in '12 we had corral "B". My dad and I both used 10K times we had from earlier in the year. If I'm not mistaken, if you're doing the Goofy challenge, I believe they place you in the back b/c my cousin is much faster than us, he was doing the Goofy and was in the last corral, go figure?! He passed us like we were standing still at milel 5, lol! I know he submitted a time too.

If your friend walks, most likely she'd be in one of he corrals further back. Corrals are a great way to stager runners when you have such a large race! Hope this helps?!

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » Aug Sun 04, 2013 9:43 pm

boilerbabe wrote:Hi Monakie78, we have run quite a few Disney World races. The bigger races (1/2 Marathon) we had to show proof of time. There are so many runners though, you shuffle a bit the first 2 miles I'd say, then it starts to thin out and you can weave your way through the people. By the 4th mile, there is no issue. The corrals help b/c you don't have people that start off running and then immediately start to walk and don't know race etiquette, and don't go over to the side as to not block the other runners. In my personal opinion, Disney is not a race to try and PR. Others might feel differently, of course.

When we ran the 1/2 in '05, that was when they still ran the 1/2 and the full on the same day, we had corral "L". Then in '12 they already started to spilt up the days of the races b/c they have become so popular. So in '12 we had corral "B". My dad and I both used 10K times we had from earlier in the year. If I'm not mistaken, if you're doing the Goofy challenge, I believe they place you in the back b/c my cousin is much faster than us, he was doing the Goofy and was in the last corral, go figure?! He passed us like we were standing still at milel 5, lol! I know he submitted a time too.

If your friend walks, most likely she'd be in one of he corrals further back. Corrals are a great way to stager runners when you have such a large race! Hope this helps?!
Thanks Boilerbabe! That does help. It's weird your cousin was placed back further with a faster time though. I don't expect a PR with a crowd. I just don't want to fight my way upstream. Looks like I have homework to do by running a couple of local races to use as proof of time.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Sun 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Monakie78 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:Hi Monakie78, we have run quite a few Disney World races. The bigger races (1/2 Marathon) we had to show proof of time. There are so many runners though, you shuffle a bit the first 2 miles I'd say, then it starts to thin out and you can weave your way through the people. By the 4th mile, there is no issue. The corrals help b/c you don't have people that start off running and then immediately start to walk and don't know race etiquette, and don't go over to the side as to not block the other runners. In my personal opinion, Disney is not a race to try and PR. Others might feel differently, of course.

Thanks Boilerbabe! That does help. It's weird your cousin was placed back further with a faster time though. I don't expect a PR with a crowd. I just don't want to fight my way upstream. Looks like I have homework to do by running a couple of local races to use as proof of time.
Glad I could help! It really isn't too hard to pick up steam once you've gotten past the first few miles! I tried to look at it as a positive, it made me hold back a bit and not go out too fast! Yea, not sure what the deal was with my cousin?! Anyway, it all worked out and we all had a great race! I hope you do too!

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by dsnymommy » Aug Mon 05, 2013 8:06 am

boilerbabe wrote:Glad you're back to running dsnymommy!!! :D Good luck with your 5K, let us know how it goes! What is the date of your event?

Thanks boilerbabe, and I will. Its the last weekend in August. Its slow going, but at least its going!

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Aug Mon 05, 2013 8:10 am

Sleepy90 wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:Each of you is so inspirational! I'm training for my first official 5k this fall. I used to run before, but never did any events. 5k seems doable, 10k something I could train for, 1/2 marathon I'd love to do but questionable. Anything else seems like it would never happen. Can't wait to hear how everyone's events go!
I am sure you are able to do a Half Marathon dsnymommy it just takes a lot of training.
I am an old cogger compared to most of the others and had never run until a couple of years ago but I ran a Half last September.
It was not quick and I am sure not pretty to watch either :lol: :lol: :lol: but I did it within the time allotted for a Disney race so I was a happy bunny. This September I do it all again and if I am really lucky a little faster, not that I care about the times it is just nice to be able to say that you have done it.
The big one for me will be the 2015 marathon weekend at Disney when the gang get together. I am not sure what to run in yet but I would really like to do the marathon, we will have to see if the old body holds up to that :roll: .

Awwww, thanks for the vote of confidence, Sleepy! I'm going to keep plugging along. With two little ones that time for lots of training sometimes gets a bit difficult, but hubby has been wonderful in helping me find time to train. Good for you for running the half! That's fantastic!! I'm definitely going to be in the not so pretty and not so fast boat for any race that I do, but they thankfully aren't giving out awards for looks or I'm out of the running. :) I'm thankful its a walk run though, or I'd definitely get swept! :lol: Can't wait to hear what everyone does in 2015. Keep on training, if you were able to run the half, I just know that you'll be able to do the full!!!

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Aug Mon 05, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks for the info Botts! I'll definitely give it a try then. I am not admittedly as educated in running as I should be, but I'm trying to be better in that area. Not as young as I used to be and see injury lurking around every corner! :o[/quote]

Sorry, dsnymommy-I need to change my settings, I didn't see your post until now. To answer your question....no there are no negatives to working out that often. My former cross country coach suggested 1 day of rest per week, 2 at max. We would alternate workout days between slower/longer runs with faster/muscle building workouts including weights. Botts suggestions are great....alternate days of strength vs cardio. I am no stranger to injuries. The more you rest because you feel sore & then try to reboot, the more at risk for injury you will be. The phrase "no pain, no gain" is true. You may be really sore, but keep moving at a doable level. Maybe on your easier days all you can do is walk or go for an easy bike ride. I promise you that the soreness will go away. Keep achievable goals & push yourself steadily. Your strength will increase & pain will become a thing of the past.

By the way...it's been a few months. How are your workouts going? -Monica[/quote]

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, Monica and don't worry about taking a while to see it as it often takes me a while to see posts too. Things are going slow but sure, at least at the moment. My kids were sick for quite a bit this summer and so running or even walking had to take a back seat for a while. But I'm back in training mode. Running 3-4 times a week and walking 4-5 times a week. We have a park nearby and I try to walk the kids to it as much as I can during the week. It has a few hills and I'm pushing a stroller with a preschooler hanging on and trying to have me pull him too, so I figure that even though its walking, it has to be some kind of work out lol. I'm slowly shaving down my time when I run, and I'm just shy of running 75% of the time. It can be frustrating when I think that I used to run 5 miles, not just 5k. But then I try to remember that was quite a few years and two kids ago. Boy does time fly!

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » Aug Mon 05, 2013 9:12 am

dsnymommy wrote:Thanks for the info Botts! I'll definitely give it a try then. I am not admittedly as educated in running as I should be, but I'm trying to be better in that area. Not as young as I used to be and see injury lurking around every corner! :o

By the way...it's been a few months. How are your workouts going? -Monica[/quote]

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, Monica and don't worry about taking a while to see it as it often takes me a while to see posts too. Things are going slow but sure, at least at the moment. My kids were sick for quite a bit this summer and so running or even walking had to take a back seat for a while. But I'm back in training mode. Running 3-4 times a week and walking 4-5 times a week. We have a park nearby and I try to walk the kids to it as much as I can during the week. It has a few hills and I'm pushing a stroller with a preschooler hanging on and trying to have me pull him too, so I figure that even though its walking, it has to be some kind of work out lol. I'm slowly shaving down my time when I run, and I'm just shy of running 75% of the time. It can be frustrating when I think that I used to run 5 miles, not just 5k. But then I try to remember that was quite a few years and two kids ago. Boy does time fly![/quote]

I completely understand about the kids. I have an 8, 6, & 3 year old. We have sick epidemics sweeping through our house on a regular basis. I'm right there with you on being derailed temporarily for illness. Being a mom is always first. It took me a good year to just find the time to workout. Walking with the kids & playing with them is a total workout. Even going to the grocery store is like an olympic event at times. Kids...whatta gonna do! :mickey: -Monica

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Aug Fri 09, 2013 9:18 am

Monakie78 wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:Thanks for the info Botts! I'll definitely give it a try then. I am not admittedly as educated in running as I should be, but I'm trying to be better in that area. Not as young as I used to be and see injury lurking around every corner! :o

By the way...it's been a few months. How are your workouts going? -Monica
I love my kiddos to death, and they do give me an excuse to buy and do anything and everything DIsney, but they certainly do have a way of eating up time. lol. And I only have two, not three like you, Monica. And in Mommy math, 1+1 does NOT equal 2. The time, tears, and $ spent seems to increase exponentially with more. But so does the love and snuggles, so I'll take it. :-)

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, Monica and don't worry about taking a while to see it as it often takes me a while to see posts too. Things are going slow but sure, at least at the moment. My kids were sick for quite a bit this summer and so running or even walking had to take a back seat for a while. But I'm back in training mode. Running 3-4 times a week and walking 4-5 times a week. We have a park nearby and I try to walk the kids to it as much as I can during the week. It has a few hills and I'm pushing a stroller with a preschooler hanging on and trying to have me pull him too, so I figure that even though its walking, it has to be some kind of work out lol. I'm slowly shaving down my time when I run, and I'm just shy of running 75% of the time. It can be frustrating when I think that I used to run 5 miles, not just 5k. But then I try to remember that was quite a few years and two kids ago. Boy does time fly![/quote]

I completely understand about the kids. I have an 8, 6, & 3 year old. We have sick epidemics sweeping through our house on a regular basis. I'm right there with you on being derailed temporarily for illness. Being a mom is always first. It took me a good year to just find the time to workout. Walking with the kids & playing with them is a total workout. Even going to the grocery store is like an olympic event at times. Kids...whatta gonna do! :mickey: -Monica[/quote]

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Sun 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Congrats to Richard Deacon and Leigh Ann Butler Perry for completing the Tower of Terror 10 Miler last night. Pictures are posted on the Subsonic Radio Running Club Facebook page. Make sure to like our page so you can keep track of our great Sub runners.

Sorry for the repetitive posts but I want to make sure we grow our group as much as we can. Next step tech shirts, then maybe some meet ups.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 06, 2013 8:26 pm

That is awesome!!! I don't do FB, any chance the pics could be posted here?!?