Subsonic Running Club

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

Would you be interested in joining the Subsonicradio Running Club?

Yes
81%
No
3%
Maybe
16%

Total votes: 32

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Re: Subsonic Running Club

Post by dsnymommy » May Thu 09, 2013 10:29 am

I am Sulley wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:I'm just starting back with running after a 6 year hiatus. I feel like I'm starting from scratch. Anyone have any advice for this relative newbie??? :)
I am no expert but am in a similar boat after a four year absence and three knee operations.
I have chosen to start off with a bit of walking 2 to 3 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Been doing this for a month now and can feel some benefit so will be mixing it with some short runs in the coming weeks.
If your a previous runner you will soon get back into things and you have the experience to help you.
Good Luck
:)

Thanks, I am Sully! That's kinda what I've been trying. Started with some easy treadmill walking at home. Now back on my favorite trail alternating walking and running. Going to work back up to 5 miles where I was before. I applaud you for getting back at it after the knee operations. That's fantastic!!

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » May Thu 09, 2013 10:31 am

subsonic wrote:It's so good to hear people "getting back into it" It's never too late. :) Now, I can't imagine not working out.

I agree. Even if its just walking, a little is better than nothing. I forgot how much I loved it until I started again.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » May Thu 09, 2013 10:34 am

Monakie78 wrote:
I am Sulley wrote:
dsnymommy wrote:I'm just starting back with running after a 6 year hiatus. I feel like I'm starting from scratch. Anyone have any advice for this relative newbie??? :)
I am no expert but am in a similar boat after a four year absence and three knee operations.
I have chosen to start off with a bit of walking 2 to 3 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Been doing this for a month now and can feel some benefit so will be mixing it with some short runs in the coming weeks.
If your a previous runner you will soon get back into things and you have the experience to help you.
Good Luck
:)

I also took roughly a 6 year hiatus up until about 2 years ago. The key is to start off at a slower pace...walking is great like I am Sulley does. Don't set your expectations too high, otherwise you could end up with an injury. For myself, I started off with slower paced jogs 2-3 times a week. 30 mins at a time is suggested for beginners or rebooting yourself. I also did cross training with an indoor bike & P90X. Cross training is fantastic for allowing your running muscles time to recoup. It's important to keep going with exercise on your non-running days, so your body isn't in a constant state of struggle to work back up hill. Then before you know it, you'll be running faster longer distances. Lots of luck! :mickey:
Monakie78, have you noticed any negatives to working out that often? I used to run 4-5 times a week, or at least do something. But I have a couch to 5k app that I just started using that suggests only 3 days a week and then to rest your muscles the rest of the days. So now I'm of two minds as to what to do. :?

Botts
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Botts » May Thu 09, 2013 4:39 pm

dsnymommy wrote: Monakie78, have you noticed any negatives to working out that often? I used to run 4-5 times a week, or at least do something. But I have a couch to 5k app that I just started using that suggests only 3 days a week and then to rest your muscles the rest of the days. So now I'm of two minds as to what to do. :?
I've been using the training guides on rundisney.com as I've never run before. I run the 3 days a week it suggests, then do strength training on 3 other days, taking one day off.

I used to kayak for the Canadian National Team, and as long as you're resting parts of your body alternately it's ok. I.e. cardio on day 1,3,5, strength on 2,4,6 and 7 off worked well for me.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » May Sat 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Botts wrote:
dsnymommy wrote: Monakie78, have you noticed any negatives to working out that often? I used to run 4-5 times a week, or at least do something. But I have a couch to 5k app that I just started using that suggests only 3 days a week and then to rest your muscles the rest of the days. So now I'm of two minds as to what to do. :?
I've been using the training guides on rundisney.com as I've never run before. I run the 3 days a week it suggests, then do strength training on 3 other days, taking one day off.

I used to kayak for the Canadian National Team, and as long as you're resting parts of your body alternately it's ok. I.e. cardio on day 1,3,5, strength on 2,4,6 and 7 off worked well for me.

Thanks for the info Botts! I'll definitely give it a try then. I am not admittedly as educated in running as I should be, but I'm trying to be better in that area. Not as young as I used to be and see injury lurking around every corner! :o

jeebz68
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by jeebz68 » May Mon 20, 2013 12:09 pm

This is an awesome idea!!! I havent looked through all the notes in this post but a crazy idea, lets start a workout/running stream of the tracks that gets ya going. Personally nothing gets me more in the mood to accomplish something then listening to some Disney tracks and thinking WWWD (What Would Walt Do, lol - He'd tell us all to get our butts in gear and get to Orlando for a race!!).
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

joefox97
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver
Location: Orlando, FL, Dallas, TX or Chicago, IL depending on the day and weather!

Post by joefox97 » May Tue 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Julie would be open to joining! And definitely echo the SR tech shirt idea (preferably in mens and ladies, if possible) -- she'd LOVE to have a SSR shirt! :goofy_bounce:

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » May Wed 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Many thanks to joefox97 who has submitted an awesome graphic that will be seriously considered as our new SSR Running Club logo.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jun Mon 03, 2013 11:47 am

Can we see the graphic? Also how's everyone doing with their running? I'm trying to get myself back to doing it at least 5 days a week. I've been starting out with short distances; doing mostly hill repeats and a bit of speed work. I'm keeping each of these workouts between 3 and 4 miles. I'm hoping to add in a long run of 5+ on the weekends this week. We'll see how this goes, and if I can actually keep it up. I am signing up with a buddy of mine for a half in La Porte in November, but that's the first long race I'm seeing myself doing since the WDW back in January. I've only done a few other events since then but nothing more then 10 miles.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jun Mon 03, 2013 4:02 pm

jeebz68 wrote:This is an awesome idea!!! I havent looked through all the notes in this post but a crazy idea, lets start a workout/running stream of the tracks that gets ya going. Personally nothing gets me more in the mood to accomplish something then listening to some Disney tracks and thinking WWWD (What Would Walt Do, lol - He'd tell us all to get our butts in gear and get to Orlando for a race!!).

I know there's a big cost involved in setting up a stream, but even something in the scheduled for us runners would be fun. Even if I wasn't working out at the moment, I'll take all the motivation that I can get!

joefox97
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver
Location: Orlando, FL, Dallas, TX or Chicago, IL depending on the day and weather!

Post by joefox97 » Jun Mon 03, 2013 10:01 pm

You can see the image here: http://webcruiser.org/Subsonic-Running.png or with a purple background (somewhat like it would look like on a shirt) here: http://webcruiser.org/Subsonic-Running-wColor.png.

It would need a bit of finalizing, but the idea is there. I will send the Photoshop file to whoever wants to take this ball and (pardon the pun) run with it. ;-)

joe

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 04, 2013 6:30 am

joefox97 wrote:You can see the image here: http://webcruiser.org/Subsonic-Running.png or with a purple background (somewhat like it would look like on a shirt) here: http://webcruiser.org/Subsonic-Running-wColor.png.

It would need a bit of finalizing, but the idea is there. I will send the Photoshop file to whoever wants to take this ball and (pardon the pun) run with it. ;-)

joe
That's a really clever design joefox97 :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Tue 04, 2013 1:28 pm

I LOVE THE LOGO DESIGN!!!

Now to just get off my hiney and walk walk walk walk!!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 04, 2013 6:08 pm

cy1229 wrote:I LOVE THE LOGO DESIGN!!!

Now to just get off my hiney and walk walk walk walk!!!
Me too. I have unsuccessfully walked a few mornings in a row, only to have lots of morning without walking at all. Stupid schedule doesn't help, but shouldn't be an excuse. I keep meaning to look up how long you need to do something in order for it to become a habit, and then make a point of walking that many days before I even think about slacking off! :lol:

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jun Thu 06, 2013 9:54 am

joefox97 wrote:You can see the image here: http://webcruiser.org/Subsonic-Running.png or with a purple background (somewhat like it would look like on a shirt) here: http://webcruiser.org/Subsonic-Running-wColor.png.

joe
I think the design looks awesome also. You obviously put a lot of effort into it and it shows. I'm curious, is there a particular shoe you used as the base of the design?
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.