Subsonic Running Club

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

Would you be interested in joining the Subsonicradio Running Club?

Yes
81%
No
3%
Maybe
16%

Total votes: 32

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Subsonic Running Club

Post by Amy » Nov Fri 15, 2013 8:42 pm

boilerbabe wrote:Geez Amy! Sounds like your walks could be hazardous to your health!!! :shock: Is there somewhere else safer you can go? Or perhaps the treadmill isn't a bad idea, but that can become boring. Our subdivision is extremely hilly with no sidewalks, it can be dangerous. So we either run at the VU campus or our track at the fairgrounds.

Anyway, I'm really glad you're ok!!!!
You would think a relatively sleepy dead-end street would be safer wouldn't you?! It just is a shame people can't slow down and pay more attention :( We have a treadmill but I hate it because it is so boring. I will go back to my stationary bike when it gets colder rather than take my chances with the road conditions. I wonder if there is a stationary option on the map my run app?

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Nov Sat 16, 2013 12:00 am

Unfortunately there is not a treadmill option for tracking miles on the map my run app Amy. If you place it on treadmill mode it only counts your time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 16, 2013 7:58 am

NaCler wrote:Unfortunately there is not a treadmill option for tracking miles on the map my run app Amy. If you place it on treadmill mode it only counts your time.
Yeah, that is sort of what I figured. Hard to gps-track something when you are basically staying in one spot :(
Last edited by Amy on Nov Sat 16, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monakie78
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Monakie78 » Nov Sat 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Amy wrote:I think it might be time to dust off the treadmill. Remember the lady that hit our mailbox awhile back? Figment told me to watch for the school bus a few days ago when I went for my walk. I didn't have to worry about that but Mrs. Smith was driving home when I first walked down the street. That went off without a hitch, but then when I was walking the other way she was heading back out and aiming right for me :shock: It took me just a second to realize that I was in the same position as the mailbox on the side of the street and there was a truck coming the other way that she was "getting over to avoid"! Ack!!! So off into the leaves I jumped. She didn't even budge an inch or slow down so I am glad I had somewhere to get off the road to :shock:
Today I didn't encounter Mrs. Smith, but Mom had joked to watch out for the school bus. We both laughed because there is no school today due to parent teacher conferences. Anyhow, as I was rounding the turnaround at the end of the street I heard a large vehicle. I saw some trash cans and figured it was probably a trash truck, but nope, it was a school bus! Which barely fits around the small turnaround on our street. Yup, back into the leaves on the side of the road for me!
At this rate I think the stress is offsetting the benefits from my walks!

You may laugh about it afterwards, but holy cow! Do you walk/run facing traffic? My old coaches always made us go against traffic, b/c you really have to be on the defensive side when out walking/running. No matter if a car moves over for me, I still run off the road into the grass b/c you never know. My former neighbor got hit by a car when I was just a kid. She was walking with traffic & never saw them coming. They also never stopped & she doesn't know who hit her to this day....they left her bloody with broken bones in a ditch.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Monakie78 wrote:You may laugh about it afterwards, but holy cow! Do you walk/run facing traffic? My old coaches always made us go against traffic, b/c you really have to be on the defensive side when out walking/running. No matter if a car moves over for me, I still run off the road into the grass b/c you never know. My former neighbor got hit by a car when I was just a kid. She was walking with traffic & never saw them coming. They also never stopped & she doesn't know who hit her to this day....they left her bloody with broken bones in a ditch.
Yup, I follow the rules of walking against traffic and riding with it when I'm on my bike. Amazing how many people don't do that though. It is horrible how many people hit and run too! :shock:

Monakie78

Post by Monakie78 » Nov Sat 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Amy wrote:
Monakie78 wrote:You may laugh about it afterwards, but holy cow! Do you walk/run facing traffic? My old coaches always made us go against traffic, b/c you really have to be on the defensive side when out walking/running. No matter if a car moves over for me, I still run off the road into the grass b/c you never know. My former neighbor got hit by a car when I was just a kid. She was walking with traffic & never saw them coming. They also never stopped & she doesn't know who hit her to this day....they left her bloody with broken bones in a ditch.
Yup, I follow the rules of walking against traffic and riding with it when I'm on my bike. Amazing how many people don't do that though. It is horrible how many people hit and run too! :shock:
Maybe you need a bright orange construction vest to wear...sounds like a hard hat wouldn't be a bad idea for you too :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Monakie78 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Maybe you need a bright orange construction vest to wear...sounds like a hard hat wouldn't be a bad idea for you too :shock:
I used to have a neon yellow windbreaker that I would wear all the time, but it is a bit chilly for that at the moment. I will just keep my eyes open!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Nov Sun 24, 2013 9:33 pm

We are currently planning our first meetup. Since many of us will be at the January races, we figured this would be a great opportunity. Currently thinking about Thursday, January 9 since most of you are doing the Dopey. Thoughts on when and where?

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Dec Mon 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Crap, less then 5 weeks until I'm running in Houston. I did a very slow half last month, and am trying to ramp up my training big time now. I did a 10 mile run around Town Lake here in Austin on Saturday in 1:38. I guess either this weekend or next weekend I need to do my 20 miler and start to taper off after that. How does everyone here usually do their taper? I've never been good at figuring that out.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Tue 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Let's plan for a meetup at 1p at EPCOT on Thursday at LaCava.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 08, 2014 8:19 am

NaCler wrote:Let's plan for a meetup at 1p at EPCOT on Thursday at LaCava.
Just remember not to drink too much ~ you'll be running further if you are zig-zagging on the course ;) :lol:

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Thu 09, 2014 10:44 am

Due to timing issues we will NOT be having this meet up today. Sorry... I think it was just H and I anyway.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 09, 2014 1:36 pm

NaCler wrote:Due to timing issues we will NOT be having this meet up today. Sorry... I think it was just H and I anyway.
Bummer....Hopefully all y'all can manage to meet up somewhere over these next few days!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Fri 10, 2014 1:37 am

H and I managed to see each other yesterday and we are running together. Deacon is going to join us for the Half and I hope we run into cccmouse along the way. That should all make up for the cancelled meetup.

Deacon8luez
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by Deacon8luez » Feb Fri 21, 2014 7:04 am

I'm just training to not die on my walk to the end of the driveway to pick up my newspaper.