Subsonic’s Review of Transformers 3D Ride at USH

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Subsonic’s Review of Transformers 3D Ride at USH

Post by subsonic » May Mon 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Friday, May 4 was the Universal Studios Hollywood Annual Passholder preview for the new Transformers 3D ride opening this month. The ride uses the same system as Spider-Man: The Ride in Florida. Those of you who have spoken to me about my views on various attractions should know that until Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey, Spider-Man held my top spot as favorite attraction, ever. So, one could understand my excitement for the arrival of Transformers 3D. My standards are pretty high when it comes to what I expect from new attractions. I say this because I was actually disappointed with Transformers 3D. It’s still a great attraction, if not one of the best on the West Coast. But, compared to Spider-Man, I was left with criticism.

For starters: the entrance. Nothing really pops; it’s a multi-layered 2D picture of two robots basically pointing at the entrance.

After a quick google for images of the ride’s entrance, I see Singapore’s entrance. This is more like it:
http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/u ... de%201.jpg

The theme of the queue is good. Basically, it’s like walking through a secure military base. There are some interesting things to look at, as well as knobs and buttons (that don’t do anything) to play with. Though, I felt it lacked a little detail in lieu of video monitors. What’s with theme parks thinking that video makes up for tangible/detailed items? (more on this later)

The transport you enter is exactly like that in Spider-Man. As I said, the attractions have a lot in common. The difference being, that on the Transformers ride, you’re supposed to be stepping into an actual Autobot. This Autobot will be your guide/narrator throughout the ride. I don’t need to go into many details, but basically your cruise through areas that blend in with 3D screens. The effect is top-notch. I’ve always loved how in Spider-Man, the 3D video blends in with the environment around you. It’s truly amazing how people come up with ideas like these. And this is where, what I’m guessing, the budget for Transformers 3D is cut short. It’s 95% video. One of the effects about Spider-Man I always loved was how the images on the screen interacted with the real objects around you. A villain throws a fireball from the screen and real fire explodes out of a building next to you. An anti-gravity beam shoots from the screen, hits a real box, and it levitates. These little nuances truly immerse you. Not so on Transformers 3D. It’s video after video with very little realism around you. I can only think of one part that was more immersive, and of course, I liked it. I just want more. Also, the Autobot you’re on is more ‘telling’ a story than making you part of it. Every time a new Decepticon appears on the screen, the Autobot feels compelled to tell you the Decepticon’s name. To me, it got old. Let me experience it; don’t tell me what to think. Though, there were some huge video walls that fully engulfed you which I thought were pretty cool.
Again, overall, it’s a great ride. I have an annual pass and will continue to ride it every visit. Let’s hope it grows on me instead of making me more jaded. Universal has made some amazing attractions that, I feel, have left Disney behind and raised the bar for the world. Terminator 4D, Spider-Man, Transformers 3D, and Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey (OMG *drool*) to name a few will cause me to happily hand over some of my vacation time and money to Universal Studios Florida and Hollywood.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Subsonic’s Review of Transformers 3D Ride at USH

Post by Wizzard419 » May Mon 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Is it basically a copy of the one in Asia? Including the queue where you see the "all spark"?

AA's are a thing of the past, mostly, because film can move rather than have it bolted to a support means more vibrant motion.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » May Mon 07, 2012 8:59 pm

I got a chance to preview it during the employee preview party last month since my stepdad works at Universal Citywalk. I loved it. I was too busy getting into the ride and fully immersing myself in it to pay attention to the Autobot's announcement of all the other Decepticons. We were all too busy cheering.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » May Mon 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Is it basically a copy of the one in Asia? Including the queue where you see the "all spark"?
Yep.

And there are rumors of it showing up in Universal Studios Florida in the future. Also a clone.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Mon 07, 2012 11:37 pm

I wonder if they will put it in IOA and have it replace Spiderman so they can start moving away from Disney owned franchises? While they still get the usage rights, they still end up having to pay any normal operation fees to Marvel (which is the same as paying to Disney) as well as the merch they sell would basically mean they are shilling another company's products.

At least with the hulk, they literally just can repaint it and redecorate and it's a new non Marvel ride.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 08, 2012 9:20 am

Heck, they don't even need to repaint the Hulk coaster. They just need to change to signage to something else and fit the green color into the new theme.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Tue 08, 2012 9:25 am

mindflipper wrote:Heck, they don't even need to repaint the Hulk coaster. They just need to change to signage to something else and fit the green color into the new theme.
Would that green be envy that Disney owns the franchise?
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 08, 2012 12:00 pm

mindflipper wrote:Heck, they don't even need to repaint the Hulk coaster. They just need to change to signage to something else and fit the green color into the new theme.
True, but the repaint is more for promotional materials saying "Hey, we have a brand new coaster, it's not green!".

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 08, 2012 1:36 pm

They didn't repaint the dueling dragons but they promoted as new ride in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 08, 2012 3:01 pm

True, they were able to jump onto a bigger promotion. When they redid Superman at Six Flags, aside from making new cars and turning them backwards, they also changed the color as part of the "transformation" from old to new.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Tue 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
Would that green be envy that Disney owns the franchise?
Honestly, Disney should be green with envy that Universal now holds three attractions that blow what Disney has out of the water. Disney's newest addition: Star Tours 3D? Eh, while it's good, it could have been better.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 08, 2012 3:42 pm

They could just re-do the whole Marvel area into a Transformer area. "Whole new area" at IoA. Same rides, just different names and different 3D movie.

Subsonic: BTW besides Transformers 3D what are the other two USH rides are you talking about?

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Tue 08, 2012 3:49 pm

mindflipper wrote:Subsonic: BTW besides Transformers 3D what are the other two USH rides are you talking about?
Spider-Man and, OMG, Harry Potter. HP is soooooooo good. Simply amazing. I even enjoyed walking the highly detailed queue the 7 times I went on it on my last visit.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 08, 2012 4:12 pm

I wonder if there is any exclusivity with the G2 in the US? I'm surprised that other parks did not jump on that tech now that someone is using it.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Tue 08, 2012 4:33 pm

subsonic wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Subsonic: BTW besides Transformers 3D what are the other two USH rides are you talking about?
Spider-Man and, OMG, Harry Potter. HP is soooooooo good. Simply amazing. I even enjoyed walking the highly detailed queue the 7 times I went on it on my last visit.
Dueling Dragons was the best themed ride I had ever been on. Your saying that HP is better?
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage