A delightful, great quality, video of Disneyland circa 1957

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

A delightful, great quality, video of Disneyland circa 1957

Post by subsonic » Feb Tue 07, 2012 3:25 pm

For those of you that don't know, I basically grew up in Los Angeles and with that includes my growing up with Disneyland. My passion and love for the park over the years is what prompted me to work there as well as create this site. It's amazing to see how large the franchise has become. From movies, to theme parks, to cruises and islands. This video is a little stroll down memory lane for me. I actually the old Fantasyland and Skull rock. Though, I don't remember Tomorrowland like that (Rockets on ground level for example).

Anyways, here it is:
http://youtu.be/DOIBjQoCXLk
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: A delightful, great quality, video of Disneyland circa 1

Post by sockfire » Feb Tue 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Time traveler at 1:34! Man on cell phone in the background.

TTA Traveler
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by TTA Traveler » Feb Wed 22, 2012 4:42 am

That was a fantastic watch. :)

I really love the mule/cowboy, horse & wagon rides... I bet that would have been so fun to ride as a kid. But It's crazy how the only thing that really seems outdated are the guest's clothing. Disney was ahead of their time!
.. now arriving at Space Mountain, Tomorrowland's gateway to the galaxy..

wdwannabe
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by wdwannabe » Feb Sat 25, 2012 3:15 am

Love the plane going behind the castle. Enjoyed seeing that retro look at Disneyland.
First Family Visit
POP Century - September 2006

Second Family Visit
2013 Fall/Winter-Christmas

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Aug Mon 13, 2012 6:00 am

cool!!! love seeing old footage!!!

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by DisneySpin » Aug Thu 16, 2012 10:05 am

Nice video, thanks for posting. I had to chuckle at a couple of the scenes as they brought back memories of very early childhood fears; whenever I was in the vicinity of Monstro, I walked as far away as possible - that huge, blinking eye and those teeth!? Oh, no, no, no, no, run away! :lol: While I also don't remember the first Tomorrowland very well, I do remember The Rocket. Having many relatives in the aerospace industry here in SoCal, even as a squirt, I just assumed that any Rocket to the Moon meant that Thing was going to actually take off and I wanted no part of that! Another area I didn't want to walk by, as I figured I'd get fried by the blast :lol: :lol: Silly, naive little kid. And yet...I returned to that Park a few more times.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 16, 2012 10:41 am

DisneySpin wrote:Nice video, thanks for posting. I had to chuckle at a couple of the scenes as they brought back memories of very early childhood fears; whenever I was in the vicinity of Monstro, I walked as far away as possible - that huge, blinking eye and those teeth!? Oh, no, no, no, no, run away! :lol: While I also don't remember the first Tomorrowland very well, I do remember The Rocket. Having many relatives in the aerospace industry here in SoCal, even as a squirt, I just assumed that any Rocket to the Moon meant that Thing was going to actually take off and I wanted no part of that! Another area I didn't want to walk by, as I figured I'd get fried by the blast :lol: :lol: Silly, naive little kid. And yet...I returned to that Park a few more times.
That's great that you have those memories! If I was in your shoes, I would have been trying to get in that rocket to go to the moon :D

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Aug Thu 16, 2012 11:04 am

Amy wrote: That's great that you have those memories! If I was in your shoes, I would have been trying to get in that rocket to go to the moon :D
:lol: I was a pretty tough little kid, but hearing all the stories of botched launches from my uncle at Vandenberg AFB added with some nice Sci-Fi movies my Dad liked that always had bizarro aliens, this kiddo did not want to lose her bum in that rocket! I like a few more guarantees of success and the Disney Space Program had not made its' mark yet.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 16, 2012 11:07 am

DisneySpin wrote:
Amy wrote: That's great that you have those memories! If I was in your shoes, I would have been trying to get in that rocket to go to the moon :D
:lol: I was a pretty tough little kid, but hearing all the stories of botched launches from my uncle at Vandenberg AFB added with some nice Sci-Fi movies my Dad liked that always had bizarro aliens, this kiddo did not want to lose her bum in that rocket! I like a few more guarantees of success and the Disney Space Program had not made its' mark yet.
Ah yes, having insider info can be a good thing sometimes :lol:

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Thu 16, 2012 11:40 am

DisneySpin wrote:
That's interesting DisneySpin... we seemed to have had similar growing up backgrounds. My Dad worked on the Atlas Rockets at Vandenberg AFB and I was born in Santa Maria, CA. He worked in the Aerospace industry through until retirement at Hughes Aircraft Co. (PS... my Dad needs a hearing aid now at age 75 due to all the rocket launches!)

I have always had a love and fascination with rockets, space and science due to the influence from my Dad. Tomorrowland is still my favorite part of Disney Parks and always will be!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Aug Thu 16, 2012 12:42 pm

cousininmiami wrote:
That's interesting DisneySpin... we seemed to have had similar growing up backgrounds. My Dad worked on the Atlas Rockets at Vandenberg AFB and I was born in Santa Maria, CA. He worked in the Aerospace industry through until retirement at Hughes Aircraft Co. (PS... my Dad needs a hearing aid now at age 75 due to all the rocket launches!)

I have always had a love and fascination with rockets, space and science due to the influence from my Dad. Tomorrowland is still my favorite part of Disney Parks and always will be!
Hey, wow, we must be a similar"vintage" :D Yes, my uncle ( age 79) lives in Lompoc and worked at Vandenberg for years; a number of other family members were with McDonnell-Douglas and Martin Murietta, so yeah, Tomorrowland, especially after the '60's update, was a Must See. I wish they all could have seen Epcot, especially Horizons, but they're all a bit frail for the Calif to Florida hop.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 16, 2012 5:21 pm

DisneySpin wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:

Hey, wow, we must be a similar"vintage" :D Yes, my uncle ( age 79) lives in Lompoc and worked at Vandenberg for years; a number of other family members were with McDonnell-Douglas and Martin Murietta, so yeah, Tomorrowland, especially after the '60's update, was a Must See. I wish they all could have seen Epcot, especially Horizons, but they're all a bit frail for the Calif to Florida hop.
I know seeing it via the Internet isn't the same, but you could show them some videos from Youtube...they might like those :D

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Aug Thu 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Amy wrote: I know seeing it via the Internet isn't the same, but you could show them some videos from Youtube...they might like those
:twisted: Heh heh, I go one better, I shackle them to their chairs and make them watch my slideshows and videos!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 17, 2012 5:42 am

DisneySpin wrote:
Amy wrote: I know seeing it via the Internet isn't the same, but you could show them some videos from Youtube...they might like those
:twisted: Heh heh, I go one better, I shackle them to their chairs and make them watch my slideshows and videos!
:lol: That's too funny! :lol:
My friends always want to see my photos, but whenever I start showing them, they fall asleep :shock: I might try your tactic, but also include some toothpicks for their eyelids :twisted:

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Aug Fri 17, 2012 12:44 pm

nah, toothpicks break... now, a good splash of franks hot sauce, on the other hand...