Disney allowing beards and goatees next month. Ugh!

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Disney allowing beards and goatees next month. Ugh!

Post by subsonic » Jan Tue 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Once again, Disney has disappointed me. I really don't know what they are thinking over there to first allow mustaches and now beards and goatees. Walt, from day one, was against this. He said, "I don't want Disneyland to look like a carnival." I visit Disneyland at least once a month; Every time I see someone with a mustache it just doesn't fit. I'll take a guess at why Disney is more lenient on grooming standards, turnaround. I know Disney has had a much higher turnaround rate at their parks, especially Disneyland. Disney Cast Members used to take so much pride in their work and working there used to be such an upstanding job. I believe Disney doesn't treat their employees nearly as good as they used to.

Disney keeps looking externally and not internally. They are reactive and not proactive. Perhaps if Disney started taking care of and supporting their employees more (I'm using the word employees purposefully because that's how Disney see them, not as Cast Members anymore) there wouldn't be as much turnaround. Just like where most companies start to decline is the failure to understand that it's the "little people" that help make the difference when it comes to interacting with the customers. The outdoor vending, attractions, merchandise, food service, all the entry level jobs that have direct contact with it's customers. If Disney took pride in these roles from the top down then these people would take pride in themselves and their own jobs.

As Roy Disney said, "Disney keeps making things on-the-cheap" and I 100% agree with that. It takes money to make money. Disney, start spending money on attractions, appearances, detail, and Cast Members that helped bring you to the number one spot which made you special in the first place.

darn carnies...
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disney allowing beards and goatees next month. Ugh!

Post by Len90 » Jan Tue 24, 2012 3:11 pm

I posted about this earlier and agree with you 100%. It seems like there are now two clashing beliefs: the new age and classical. Some people think it's nice and others, like you and me, see it as a bad move. Let's just hope Disney realizes they maintain some sort of standard and don't ever allow multiple piercings and tattoos.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Tue 24, 2012 3:19 pm

:D Where did you post about it?
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 24, 2012 3:59 pm

There is one in the general and one in the DLR forum.

I really don't see a problem with it. To put such a connotation on facial hair is simply asinine. Mullets would look far more carney like than cropped facial hair. Considering the strict rules, it won't make any of them look desheveled and whatnot.

Plus, the odds are slim you will actually see more than a few people with facial hair because they do the douche move of only allowing fully grown hair (if they are keeping the rule) so the choices are clean shaven, start work with the hair, or take a vacation/unpaid leave to grow the hair.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Tue 24, 2012 11:58 pm

I do know that Disney is keen on keeping tattoos out of sight in order to portray that "clean" image. I really hope that it stays that way. The thing that really gets to me is that there was an original ideal Walt had for Disney parks. The workers were not just employees, they were cast members as they were putting on a performance for the guests. After all, when a cast member is working they are considered to be on stage... I do feel like it is changing the script of the performance. I know it's not the 1950's but to me the strict dress policy is one of many small things separated Disney from any other amusement park.

If this change was done to boost employee morale, I highly doubt it will accomplish that task. In fact I think it will cause more issues as monitoring beard length will just be a big headache. If the beard is slightly longer than 1/2 inch will the managers shave it off or trim it down :roll:
subsonic wrote::D Where did you post about it?
I put it over in the General Resorts and Cruise Lines section: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7638&p=205504#p205504 However, I really like your write-up so I'll route all discussions about it over to here....
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 12:18 am

But that's the thing, it's just marketing. Every worker on earth is performing a set of expected behaviors for their job, the CEO leads, the receptionist gets water, the HR lady is a heartless cow that has no sense of humor, etc. Disney just gave it a different name, just like how labs and companies say things like "We are all a big family" or "Join the tribe!". At the end of the day, they are just workers, and they can be replaced with great ease (just like in the 50's). Nothing is changing in any major sense.

It probably will boost morale since it allows for individuality in an opressive environment where the only thing unique to you is your name. It won't be any harder to deal with since a stick or ruler can check on the fly and failure to comply means you simply have to go over to the barber shop or use a disposable razor to fix the problem.

Look at IBM, they didn't collapse because women started wearing pants and men didn't have to wear sock garters.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 9:32 am

wizzard, how many times have you paid to look at IBM's Employees?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 2:39 pm

With or without their clothes on? :D

Do you pay to look at people wearing clothes they may or may not like while pushing buttons?

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Well, for anyone who knows anything about the company.... moustaches were allowed in Walt's honour. Considering he was quite famous for his. :)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Actually, no on both parts. They never gave a reason why in 2000 and his 'stache wasn't iconic.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Thu 26, 2012 9:20 am

when i pay for a disney "experience" i expect kind, courteous, helpful, smiling faces... as long as they are well-groomed i have no trouble with facial hair(on guys). changing their look however, changes how the parks are looked at... difference between Disney parks and six flags... i do not pay 90+ dollars a day to go to six flags, and i expect less from them in return...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 26, 2012 4:07 pm

The funny thing is that a lot of the long term park workers have a tendancy to look like they've had their soul sucked from their body. They are usually higher up but still have to wear the costume, say the same statements over and over, rarely get praise, and always get rants. It takes a lot out of them. The only ones that always smile and are perky, are the ones that take your money.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Thu 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Actually, no on both parts. They never gave a reason why in 2000 and his 'stache wasn't iconic.
That's the reason they gave at WDW when it was implemented and I'm sticking with what we have always been told.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Yeah, unless something official turns up, I wouldn't trust what a manager says. And his 'stache was forgettable, otherwise people would be calling it the "Walt" rather than the Selleck. :D

Wyntuck
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Wyntuck » Jan Sun 29, 2012 7:16 pm

I worked at WDW when the mustache ban ended, and Walt's mustache was not ever mentioned as the reason (as if it had just occurred to them decades later, "hey, Walt had a mustache! What were we thinkin'?") At the time of the mustache change, the typical Company reasons given were things like "due to Cast Member input..." and "as part of our evolving Grooming guidelines" I believe the decision was made to make working at the parks more appealing to applicants. To reduce turnaround. I felt it was a mistake, for this reason: If you truly wanted to work for WDW, then adhering to a grooming policy was something you just did. It was a little thing, but it said "I believe in Walt's original vision, and agree with it." True, it was a hassle when I got into management, to have the occasional male CM who forgot to shave, to make him go buy a razor from a vending machine in the tunnel, shave, and return to work. But as we always used to explain, they were part of a show, and to distract from the "star" (the park) was unprofessional. I also think it sent a subtle message to guests who were aware of the guidelines: "I may have to be clean shaven, haircut above ears, no visible tattoos or piercings, but it's worth it to work for Disney." --and it was.