Fass Pass - A further observation

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Fass Pass - A further observation

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Tue 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Space Mountain's the one I have to get a fastpass on if I make it before the early to mid afternoon otherwise I skip it if the line is more than 30 minutes. Other than that I'm all right with other rides. The only ride I WILL get a fastpass on if I want it is Indiana Jones since that one is always beyond 50 minutes stand by.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 29, 2011 1:29 pm

subsonic wrote:DLR had to shut it's gates down for 2 days around 2 months ago. So, yes, it happens.

Also, there's usually a limited number of Fast Passes. They can "sell out". That's why I try to make it to Space Mountain ASAP to make sure I get a pass. I think Space will usually sell out of passes around 5-6pm on weekend night.
Yep, they also sometimes happen during the summer (which is also when the real busiest travel day of the year is, day before thanksgiving is a myth). They do it in phases, the first group to be blocked from entry are normal ticket holders. I know AP holders surprisingly are one of the last groups to be locked out. When they were covering it on the news, they were showing the system being used. People would have to line up in the bus drop-off area (oposite side of the esplanade from DTD) and, like a nightclub, they would let people in as people exited (your handstamp won't automatically let you back in).

I don't know if it ever happens at WDW though, the day it almost always happens here is NYE since there is pretty much no central gathering point for southern california that night.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Tue 29, 2011 1:41 pm

subsonic wrote:DLR had to shut it's gates down for 2 days around 2 months ago. So, yes, it happens.

Also, there's usually a limited number of Fast Passes. They can "sell out". That's why I try to make it to Space Mountain ASAP to make sure I get a pass. I think Space will usually sell out of passes around 5-6pm on weekend night.
I have never seen or heard of it at WDW. Maybe MadEye or some other current/past CM from WDW would know.

As for FP "sell-outs" that happens at WDW quite often, most current examples are Soarin' and TSMM.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Does Test Track still have that issue as well?

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Mar Tue 29, 2011 9:03 pm

I respectfully disagree with you sub. Friday, I was at the WDW MK and I was able to accomplish everything we wanted to do with the use of Fastpasses. We walked on to Peter Pan's Flight instead of wasting 45 minutes of valuable park time in line. The standby line does back up a little more to let the FP people in, but it does not add that substantial an amount of time.

Also, it doesn't change a thing about the theme of the queue. The elements of the queue are still there in the standby line. If you want the overall effect of walking through the queue, then go ahead and get in the standby line. For those who are interested in the ride and not the theme, they can use the FP entrance. It's a win-win for everybody.

If a visitor is not familiar with the FastPass system, then shame on them. They are paying a lot of money to vacation at the Disney resorts and they need to educate themselves on all of the options that are available. The Fastpass distribution is a fair process where first come is first served. Now if Disney changes this principal based on what resort you book (which it sounds like it is something they are checking into), then I will definitely change my opinion on this.

I believe the Fastpasses are printed on recycled paper and I hope that Disney recycles them once they are used. So, I don't think that should be a negative.

More CM's required to man the Fastpasses is a good thing isn't it? More job opportunities, right?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Tue 29, 2011 9:14 pm

NaCler wrote:The Fastpass distribution is a fair process where first come is first served. Now if Disney changes this principal based on what resort you book (which it sounds like it is something they are checking into), then I will definitely change my opinion on this.
Oh, I hope not! Sounds too much like Universal Studios! I don't want Disney to go down that dark path! :evil:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 29, 2011 9:40 pm

NaCler wrote:I respectfully disagree with you sub. Friday, I was at the WDW MK and I was able to accomplish everything we wanted to do with the use of Fastpasses. We walked on to Peter Pan's Flight instead of wasting 45 minutes of valuable park time in line. The standby line does back up a little more to let the FP people in, but it does not add that substantial an amount of time.

Also, it doesn't change a thing about the theme of the queue. The elements of the queue are still there in the standby line. If you want the overall effect of walking through the queue, then go ahead and get in the standby line. For those who are interested in the ride and not the theme, they can use the FP entrance. It's a win-win for everybody.

If a visitor is not familiar with the FastPass system, then shame on them. They are paying a lot of money to vacation at the Disney resorts and they need to educate themselves on all of the options that are available. The Fastpass distribution is a fair process where first come is first served. Now if Disney changes this principal based on what resort you book (which it sounds like it is something they are checking into), then I will definitely change my opinion on this.

I believe the Fastpasses are printed on recycled paper and I hope that Disney recycles them once they are used. So, I don't think that should be a negative.

More CM's required to man the Fastpasses is a good thing isn't it? More job opportunities, right?
I forgot about the queue thing, other than recent additions (in what the fanboys/girls call "Eisner era") the queues didn't really have a ton of storytelling/themeing to them. Think about the best themed queues, how many of them existed before Eisner came on board? :D The point being that the queues weren't built with the main purpose of telling the story, but rather they were built to keep you distracted from long ride times, just like the interactive stuff, and music, and flooring, and air conditioning.

I actually checked an old WoC FP and it doesn't state that it's recyled, but it's a moot point since I am guessing few americans really care about trees. Recycling paper to a point that people want is still toxic to the environment.

With the visitor not being familiar, I wouldn't get too miffed at them, they hype the system very hard, people usually can look stuff up online now, and there is a giant sign, stuff in the maps, stuff on the hotel tv station, and possibly stuff in hotel literature about the system.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 30, 2011 7:11 am

mindflipper wrote:
NaCler wrote:The Fastpass distribution is a fair process where first come is first served. Now if Disney changes this principal based on what resort you book (which it sounds like it is something they are checking into), then I will definitely change my opinion on this.
Oh, I hope not! Sounds too much like Universal Studios! I don't want Disney to go down that dark path! :evil:
Me too!!! :(

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Wed 30, 2011 12:46 pm

They do sort of have a principal like that though when it comes to admission during busy days, if you're not staying on-site or are not an AP holder then you're going to be locked out first.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Thu 31, 2011 4:48 pm

mindflipper wrote:

I have never seen or heard of it at WDW. Maybe MadEye or some other current/past CM from WDW would know.

As for FP "sell-outs" that happens at WDW quite often, most current examples are Soarin' and TSMM.
Have you ever tried going to the parks on Independence Day? MK will start phase closing by early afternoon. The signs that give the arrow to each park will say closed and not have an arrow to the park. That occured when it is only resort guests allowed into the park.

Wizzard, do you have the feeling about the HM cemetery? I feel having the cemetery really adds to the experience of the attraction. It does set the mood. The only thing I can give you is the names on the tombstones. Other than that, the cemetery provides a great preshow.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Thu 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Barely anybody is going to stop to observe the queue line. Only crazy Annual Passholders that have been on the ride so many times they have nothing else to do.

I remember going on Indiana Jones when it first opened. They used to go hand out decoder cards for you to translate the text of Maraglyphics on the wall. Those did unfold a story. I'll bet most people don't even notice the glyphs now because most of that part of the queue is walked through quickly.

If theme, storytelling, and mood wasn't so important why do other parks imitate Disney? Islands of adventure is a good example.

I guess, ultimately, we'll never convince the other which way is right. But, I strongly believe in the Theme in Theme Park.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Len90 wrote:
Wizzard, do you have the feeling about the HM cemetery? I feel having the cemetery really adds to the experience of the attraction. It does set the mood. The only thing I can give you is the names on the tombstones. Other than that, the cemetery provides a great preshow.
The US ones are ok, I don't see them adding experience or anything to the story like Phantom Manor does. All it really does is, like anything added to the queues, distract the people from the wait.

Weren't the beloved stones, for DL, moved to the public area in the mid 80's? I forgot who was ceo during the 80's and 90's? :twisted:

Most parks/thrill rides still don't imitate Disney, so they don't bother with story. I bet waiting in a queue at Cedar Point sucks out loud, bad enough you're in the midwest, but then you're outside in the humid heat.

One of the reasons that Universal's attractions/theme have improved so much is that most imagineers are (and have always been) contract, so they get the same experienced artists to design for them. I am surprised Disney doesn't force a non-compete on them so that it cuts off the competition at the knees.

haunt1000
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by haunt1000 » Apr Wed 13, 2011 11:14 am

In 2005 I was at DLR on my birthday which is between Christmas and New Years. It just so happened that the two teams playing in the Rose Bowl, which was the National Championship that year, were being introduced that day into the park for some fun -The University of Texas and USC. Since there was so much special attention that day, extra media and people, the park reached max capacity before 10 am which I am told is appx 80,000 people. All they did was stop selling tickets to DL. If you had a ticket, all you had to do was wait for someone to leave for you to get in. People were forced over into CA. Space Mountain's FP's were sold out by noon. I total utilized the FP system and rode a total of 16 attractions between both parks, SM 3 times and not to mention a couple of shows and the Blue Bayou for dinner. I knew FP's were great for days like this since we got on the train at Toon Town around 11pm and heard a child complaining that they only got on 4 attractions the whole day. I did come back to a few attractions after the FP return time which they allow. I also found some FP's which were tossed aside due to the return time, picked them up and used them.

I see what you are saying about skipping the queue and not getting the maximum set-up and excitement for the attraction, but on a busy day the FP cant be beat!
Is this haunted website actually streching? Or is it your imagination? Hmmm?

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Apr Mon 25, 2011 9:58 am

I love Fast Pass, it has always worked for us. We were able to ride everything at Magic Kingdom a couple weeks ago all on a Saturday!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Apr Tue 26, 2011 10:14 am

We pretty much have FP down to a fine science including getting to Studios early enough to get Toy Story Mania FP!