http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/ ... art-2.html

This man shares a lot of my opinions.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Imagineering Disney : Decades in Review Part 2

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Mon 14, 2011 3:49 pm

On the plus side he at least noted that he does have a sharp bias and is stubborn. Good on him.

I do kind of disagree that the "best years" were the early years he stated, I would agree they had the most advancement (going from 0 to anything is a big leap), but they had a lot of forgettable attractions too, such as the viewliner, the phantom boats, the aluminum thing, etc.

It's easy to say something is a bad decision when you're not funding it and you're taking an outsider's stance. You could spend half a billion dollars on a concept that seems great, story, etc. but it could still be a total bomb.

Defintiely, change can be good or bad, but when you start complaining about change before it happens, or during the construction witout seeing the final product then it really doesn't matter what gets put there because you will either hate it or do the "Well they finally got something right" speech.

jacobcary1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by jacobcary1 » Mar Tue 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I agree, Somethings are unforgettable attractions, but other I sometimes can barely remember. I Have decided you retain what appeals to you and what your fond memories are.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Sun 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Wow!! I'm not on the soapbox all by myself! I had to laugh while reading the boards the other night when someone said that Disney should make the parks more like the mid 90's. Since, to me, this is when Eisner's evil empire started to dismantle Walts dream.

They say the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Now we have Igor and are expecting things to get better!?!? Disney has been and is a cash machine. Since the Eisner years that seem to be all it's been. I can't see it getting much better with the current management. As long as the attendance levels stay where they are, we won't see a change for the better. It makes me sad!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Sun 27, 2011 2:05 pm

But if attendance levels stay high, doesn't that mean that most of public are satisfied with current management's direction for the parks? If the attendance dropped, and cash flow dipped, only then would Disney do something in order to keep the cash machine flowing...

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Sun 27, 2011 3:57 pm

mindflipper wrote:But if attendance levels stay high, doesn't that mean that most of public are satisfied with current management's direction for the parks? If the attendance dropped, and cash flow dipped, only then would Disney do something in order to keep the cash machine flowing...
It just means that the vacation of a lifetime crowd doesn't know any better!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 27, 2011 6:53 pm

The average guest to the WDW resort isn't going every year so they don't have the need to build quite as fast. If a significant chunk of visitors came back every year or so then you might see more new stuff.

It's not so much satisfied, since you can't just go into guest relations and complain about the VP, CEO, etc. as they would then have to pretend to take you seriously, but it's more that the revenue is at or above expectations and is stable.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Mon 28, 2011 12:03 pm

You're right, there really isn't much we can do but just sit back and see the parks decline and the "vacation of a lifetime crowd" (well said) won't know any better. Complaining doesn't help much, but we hope to eventually reach someone who might care.

But, honestly, don't you find it sad that Disneyland wasn't created just to make money but to make people happy? It was set to EXCEED expectations not just meet them. Disney set their own standards high and I will always continue to hold them to that. Until then, I will always complain if something isn't created with "vision".

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Mon 28, 2011 12:22 pm

subsonic wrote: But, honestly, don't you find it sad that Disneyland wasn't created just to make money but to make people happy? It was set to EXCEED expectations not just meet them. Disney set their own standards high and I will always continue to hold them to that. Until then, I will always complain if something isn't created with "vision".
You and me both. We set the bar high for Disney and always want that either met or exceed since Disney originally did that. We complain because we are disappointed and know deep down that Disney can do so much better with the resources they have available. I do wonder if some of the recent major changes (redoing California Adventure, Fantasyland expansion, updating Star Tours) are Disney starting to listen to the complaining or for the ultimate bank benefits. Fantasyland to knock Harry Potter land and California Adventure since the park was not turning the turnstiles. I guess this all goes back to mindflippers question...

Jacca, as for Florida. If only I was able to remember those golden years in EPCOT before Eisner destroyed the parked. Sadly, I was too young to recall and enjoy all the greats like Horizons, World of Motion, and original JII in person. Luckily, thanks to others we can all reminisce from all the old pictures and videos available at our disposal.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Mon 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Len90, people like you make me proud. :) I love hearing about people looking back at videos and pictures of old EPCOT, taking the time to see how the park used to be, and understand that it wasn't for everybody, but those that it was for it was amazing.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Mon 28, 2011 1:02 pm

All we can continue doing is railing at the machine! It's just so sad to see what's going on and then realize most people don't even understand the Disney has become a shadow of it's once former greatness!! Do get me wrong, I love Disney, It's just sad to see what it was and what it is!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Mon 28, 2011 1:07 pm

subsonic wrote:But, honestly, don't you find it sad that Disneyland wasn't created just to make money but to make people happy?

Pretty much, from concept to now, the true point of the parks have always been to make money, either through promotion of movies (such as Cinderella, Peter Pan, etc.), tv programs, corporate sponsors, etc. You can give all the PR speeches about how it was made "for everyone" or how you were inspired by having to sit on a bench at a park. But it has always been a money grab and empire expansion.

You can cling to the Willie Wonka like story if you want, but it's not the whole truth.

And quit saying "They don't know any better"! They paid their money, and they want to have fun too.:D