Epcot used to mean something

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

jacobcary1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Epcot used to mean something

Post by jacobcary1 » Mar Wed 23, 2011 2:30 pm

This is true with the Star Wars comment. Also puts the whole thing in a different light.

Omnimax
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Omnimax » May Thu 26, 2011 10:21 am

Im 33 years old. The first time I ever set foot on WDW soil was in 2005. I was 27 and I loved every minute of it. But I must say after becoming a Disney nut and listening to the old ride audio from Epcot and watching the ride through videos of rides long gone on youtube, I have to say I feel like I really missed the golden years of the park. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney World! But when you listen to tracks from Horizons and you hear the quality of the music and narration and then you think,"They just deep sixed the whole thing." it makes me worry about some of my favorite rides and music getting the same treatment in the future. I already saw the People mover undergo changes that I don't like. But in the end, I will always go back to the World I love. As long as they dont change the Columbia Harbor House everything will be ok. and they better keep their hands off my star tunnel :)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Thu 26, 2011 11:43 am

Very well said Omnimax. Great name too :) I really do miss some of the old stuff. Personally, I think a lot of those things could have lasted had they taken the time to upgrade them. Like Adventures through Inner-space. If they built that now, I think it would look pretty darn cool and be fascinating at the same time
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Thu 26, 2011 4:49 pm

subsonic wrote:Very well said Omnimax. Great name too :) I really do miss some of the old stuff. Personally, I think a lot of those things could have lasted had they taken the time to upgrade them. Like Adventures through Inner-space. If they built that now, I think it would look pretty darn cool and be fascinating at the same time
If they built ATIS now, they would turn it into a 3D Simulator ride like ST2.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Thu 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Omnimax wrote:Im 33 years old. The first time I ever set foot on WDW soil was in 2005. I was 27 and I loved every minute of it. But I must say after becoming a Disney nut and listening to the old ride audio from Epcot and watching the ride through videos of rides long gone on youtube, I have to say I feel like I really missed the golden years of the park. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney World! But when you listen to tracks from Horizons and you hear the quality of the music and narration and then you think,"They just deep sixed the whole thing." it makes me worry about some of my favorite rides and music getting the same treatment in the future. I already saw the People mover undergo changes that I don't like. But in the end, I will always go back to the World I love. As long as they dont change the Columbia Harbor House everything will be ok. and they better keep their hands off my star tunnel :)
Very well said Omnimax! I have come to understand those golden years of the park the same exact way. I too fear what can happen to other great classic attractions in the future. No matter what I probably will still always want to go back as well. I think the changes of the peoplemover are a great recent example of some of the stuff that took place in the mid-late 90s.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Fri 27, 2011 9:33 am

I think some people may remember the old EPCOT rides with too much nostalgia. If you can actually remember clearly riding these rides, you may not remember them as impressively as you currently believe. I did like Horizons, and was sad about its closing. But Universe of Energy was indeed boring. Unfortunately, Disney's knee-jerk reaction was to take it in 180 degrees different direction and we got Ellen's Energy Adventure. And over the years the entertainment element (including Disney character placement) became the greater determining factor in what to do with the pavilions than trying to be informative. The mistake for EPCOT was trying to find the right balance of both - being informative and entertaining - in going forward.

I found World of Motion boring. I remember the last two large rooms before the future city at the end being empty and having the computer scenes from TRON projected upon the walls. In some ways, the attraction felt cheap in parts and well done in others. But once you rode, you knew it. There wasn't much there to make you ride it again and again. WoM to me did not have a very high "informative" value or entertainment value as well. It needed to go. I don't know if Test Track is a great alternative, but to me it suceeds better than its predecessor. At least it gives a general idea about the scientific testing involved with cars from brakes to steering.

I understand Disney needs to change as time progresses forward, but I think they need to do it more intelligently than they have in the past - so we won't get any more Ellen's Energy Adventures or ETR: UNMs in our future.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 27, 2011 11:53 am

mindflipper wrote:I think some people may remember the old EPCOT rides with too much nostalgia. If you can actually remember clearly riding these rides, you may not remember them as impressively as you currently believe. I did like Horizons, and was sad about its closing. But Universe of Energy was indeed boring. Unfortunately, Disney's knee-jerk reaction was to take it in 180 degrees different direction and we got Ellen's Energy Adventure. And over the years the entertainment element (including Disney character placement) became the greater determining factor in what to do with the pavilions than trying to be informative. The mistake for EPCOT was trying to find the right balance of both - being informative and entertaining - in going forward.

I found World of Motion boring. I remember the last two large rooms before the future city at the end being empty and having the computer scenes from TRON projected upon the walls. In some ways, the attraction felt cheap in parts and well done in others. But once you rode, you knew it. There wasn't much there to make you ride it again and again. WoM to me did not have a very high "informative" value or entertainment value as well. It needed to go. I don't know if Test Track is a great alternative, but to me it suceeds better than its predecessor. At least it gives a general idea about the scientific testing involved with cars from brakes to steering.

I understand Disney needs to change as time progresses forward, but I think they need to do it more intelligently than they have in the past - so we won't get any more Ellen's Energy Adventures or ETR: UNMs in our future.
Y'a think? :D Cpt. Eo is actually a good example of how nostalgia taints thought. After it was taken out people begged and pleaded (trivial pettitons, calls, etc.) to have it brought back. Eventually it was brought back to cash in on MJ and it had the exact same problem it had in the 90's, very little interest from visitors.

Anyway, the people that cry and moan all the time about how they miss the old rides and hate the new rides possibly have a biased opinion against new content. Hell, look at how pretty much every time they want to touch anything the presumption is that it's going to be worse off. They want the impossible and since that want goes unfufilled they will lament it. Like I said before, rides and shows generally don't get removed because they are too popular, they get removed because the guests don't visit it. Since they are a company, not your friend, they go with the money. To quote Horizons "Everyone can choose, majority rules".

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Fri 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Anyway, the people that cry and moan all the time about how they miss the old rides and hate the new rides possibly have a biased opinion against new content. Hell, look at how pretty much every time they want to touch anything the presumption is that it's going to be worse off.
It's a justified reaction from past experiences: Dreamflights, Stitch's Great Escape, JIYI, ETR: UNM, and Light Magic (for those on the West Coast). When you've burned again and again, you tend to be hesitant the next time someone brings a lit torch around.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 27, 2011 1:48 pm

At the same time it wasn't like it was a solid span of bad attractions/shows, it's more hit and miss since they have to predict the future wants/tastes. They have gotten a lot better with it in recent years though. While LM wasn't great, I think what really killed it was that people compared it directly to the predecessor. Still wasn't very good though.

investingdad
Casting

Post by investingdad » Jun Thu 09, 2011 8:07 am

For my first poist, I thought I'd chime in here. I'm a regular listener on the site but don't think I've posted before.

Ok, I'm 37. My first trip to the MK was when I was 5, so that would have been 1978. My parents took me back not too long after Epcot opened, I'd say it was during Year 2 of operation and I was around 11 or so. Living Seas and WoL were not open yet. Epcot made a HUGE impression on me. I was the kid that enjoyed science and learning in school and Epcot was right up my alley. I remember the original Emporium where many of the gifts were science themed and NOT branded in anyway with Mickey Mouse, Epcot, etc. And for what it's worth, Odysee was my favorite place to eat because the cheeseburgers were so darn good.

My favorite pavillion back then was the Land. In fact, 25 years later it STILL is. Why? Because the message of the Land hasn't really changed. The boat ride is truly spectacular. At the age of 11 and after visiting the land, I was motivated to search out books on hydroponics because the whole thing was so futuristic and interesting to me. It was almost enough of an influence to sway me into majoring in biochemistry or plant science in college. I ended up in chemical engineering for a number of reasons. But nonetheless, the Land sparked in me at an early age an interest that led to a scientific pursuit in college. My humble opinion is that this was at least part of the vision of Epcot.

WoL should never have closed because the principles upon which it was built are still good. It just needs to be updated and it could be re-opened as WoL. No need to change the name. The human genome, genetic engineering, modern medicine, replicating organs...I envision a pavillion that focuses on the future of medicine but at the same time reinforces healthy lifestyles. Really not much different than what WoL used to be.

As much as I liked WoM, I'm OK with Test Track. The displays are very interesting and focus on the engineering behind automobile design. It would be nice to emphasize the FUTURE of automobiles a bit more...electric, hybrid, future highways, mass transit, etc in the post show displays. I think it's consistent with the park with a few tweaks.

With the Mars missions currently active and planned by NASA, I see nothing wrong with Mission SPACE. Again, post show is where proper theming and presentation of tech and material is critical to convey the optimistic promise of future space travel. Unfortunately, most of the citizens in this country have become more interested in crap like Jersey Shore and the Kardashians to give much consideration to the wonders of driving around rovers on Mars and future space exploration. I don't know how you fix something like that. It costs too much, NASA is a waste of money, etc. I blame our political leaders for that. Instead of uniting for great leadership most of them spend their time pandering and conducting search and destroy on the opposite party. Why should the populace be any different then what it is?

Finally, Apple. I think the presence of Apple in the Communicores would be great.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Thu 09, 2011 9:45 am

I agree with you investingdad. Great post and I hope you continue to post here!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Thu 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Wow great first post investingdad. I definitely agree with you 100%. I think Apple could be a major key to saving/updating communicore(inventions). I look forwrd to reading more of your posts.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Thu 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Len90 wrote:Wow great first post investingdad. I definitely agree with you 100%. I think Apple could be a major key to saving/updating communicore(inventions). I look forwrd to reading more of your posts.
Maybe now that Apple and Verizon have hugged and made up they can combine forces at WDW...and help offer some more interactive things. It would be a great form of self-advertisement inside of the parks that could actually serve a purpose.

Let's bring the true meaning back to Innoventions.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Thu 09, 2011 1:06 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
Len90 wrote:Wow great first post investingdad. I definitely agree with you 100%. I think Apple could be a major key to saving/updating communicore(inventions). I look forwrd to reading more of your posts.
Maybe now that Apple and Verizon have hugged and made up they can combine forces at WDW...and help offer some more interactive things. It would be a great form of self-advertisement inside of the parks that could actually serve a purpose.

Let's bring the true meaning back to Innoventions.
Don't forget that apple does have some say with the current Disney store design. Their technology is at work in those stores and I believe steve jobs has ownership in Disney.
- Len90

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Thu 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Yeah...Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder of Disney stock...because of the Disney/Pixar merger...and he is on the Board of Directors for The Disney Company.

So...it's safe to say he could probably tell Bob Iger what he wants for breakfast...and Bob will personally deliver it...with fresh coffee. ;)