Nice post about bag checks (I hate these)

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Nice post about bag checks (I hate these)

Post by Len90 » Jan Tue 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Future Guy, you are 100% correct. I was trying to find the silver lining in those bag checks. The bag checks are most likely going to remain a permanent thing to give the impression of security. Removing them would definitely attract attention from ALL media outlets. Not just Fox news. I'm sure CNN would have a news truck in the parking lot of each park... After all they had a car driving around Manhattan to provide round the clock live online coverage of the blizzard.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 04, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm not sure about WDW (if I recall it's the same as DLR) but those tents are permanent, there was actual media coverage (I forgot the figure but it was crazy expensive for tents) of them switching from temporary tents to what they have now.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Tue 04, 2011 9:53 pm

I remember the day they went to permanent fixtures. In fact, I think that's when I started a thread about them here. I HATE THEM!

Not only do I hate them at all parks, they also ruined a very fond memory of mine. Over 10 years ago, shortly after quitting working at DIsneyland I visited WDW. I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and took the ferry into MK. I was delighted and amazed how open the entrance was to MK. There were not tall gates like at DL. Basically, someone could walk right over where the flowers were and get in (like after hours). The only thing stopping people from doing so was the fact that the only access to MK was by boat or monorail. It was a glorious site seeing such openness.

Then, about 3 years ago, my most recent visit to WDW, I was looking forward to this same view, I kept ranting on and on about how cool it looked, only to be thwarted by the horrible view of bag checks!!! I HATE THEM!
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 05, 2011 2:01 pm

For anyone else who goes to DLR, is it just me or has the police presence dropped a lot since 2004 or so? They use to always have a gem parked there and the scarecrow squadcar that was parked by in a service driveway near the exit of the structure, but now I don't see either of them when I go.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Wed 05, 2011 3:02 pm

I never noticed that. Perhaps DLR built in a side entrance for Anaheim PD. I remember I used to see them all the time back stage.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 05, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm not even sure if it was for park security but rather to serve as means of tricking people into driving at the speed limit, which various local depts. utilized in the past. It was always empty and facing outwards towards the road.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Thu 06, 2011 6:52 pm

I know for WDW they tend to keep a car in one of the bus circles at the MK, the little turnaround in front of AK, and by the bus stops in DHS. As far as backstage goes, there is always a lot of cars in the parking lot behind Tomorrowland and Main Streeet. It is really impressive to see how many police cars are back there as you walk through the alternate overflow exit.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 07, 2011 1:14 am

I'm not sure I would use the word impressive when it comes to that since they aren't really doing anything with government resources but are spending state money.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Fri 14, 2011 2:15 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I'm not sure I would use the word impressive when it comes to that since they aren't really doing anything with government resources but are spending state money.
The reason I used the word impressive is actually that I didn't expect to see around 10 police cars sitting in the parking lot behind Main Street USA. Keep in mind when in Disney you have the "perfect world" nothing with happen ideas in your head. It is an eye-opener to see that many parked there.
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Are we talking actual police cars here, or Disney security? Technically, their cars may look alike, but they're not the same thing.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Len90 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I'm not sure I would use the word impressive when it comes to that since they aren't really doing anything with government resources but are spending state money.
The reason I used the word impressive is actually that I didn't expect to see around 10 police cars sitting in the parking lot behind Main Street USA. Keep in mind when in Disney you have the "perfect world" nothing with happen ideas in your head. It is an eye-opener to see that many parked there.
Oh, I got what you meant. I was referencing that the officers were making (according to their site) between 41 and 67k a year, possibly more since it may be overtime, to be glorified mall cops. If their unions and pension programs are the norm for the country then that also means it's going to cost the florida taxpayer a lot more since they can get up to and over 100% of their highest earning year's salary as their pension.

Torylovesdisney
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Torylovesdisney » Jan Tue 25, 2011 8:17 am

But you know if WDW didn't have bag checks and then something did happen the media would jump all over them, saying, "they didn't care enough to spend the money to at least make an attempt". I think in this situation Disney can't win, they're darn if they do and darn if they don't :(

Personally I don't mind the line, to me it is at least an attempt -- tory
[color=red][b]Only [i]Disney People[/i] understand [i]Disney People[/i]![/b][/color]

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Conversely, if something did happen and the checks were in place, wouldn't you then be able to say "They didn't do any better than no checks at all"?

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Tue 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Conversely, if something did happen and the checks were in place, wouldn't you then be able to say "They didn't do any better than no checks at all"?
You know I read the post before and hadn't though of the reverse of that. Very true.

Do away with them Disney!

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Jan Sat 29, 2011 1:55 pm

I think the bag checks are like when you see a police car driving through your neighborhood. You know they are not going to stop anyone from breaking into your house, but none the less, for most people just seeing a car/police officer it makes them feel better. I also noticed a lot more police at the entrances now then before.