Quickgold's "Big Problems with Walt Disney World"

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quickgold's "Big Problems with Walt Disney World"

Post by subsonic » Aug Wed 25, 2010 11:40 am

I'm a huge nostalgic fan of Disney's past in relation to quality and exceeding our expectations. As a result, I basically complain quite a bit about how Disney is penny pinching too much and not seeing the grand scheme of what the "Disney Standard" is.

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, more and more people are seeing that Disney is creating things, as Roy Disney says, "On the cheap"

Here's Quickgold's take on some of the bigger problems. I whole heartedly agree.
http://www.studioscentral.com/column/st ... sney-world
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

SlueFootSue
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Re: Quickgold's "Big Problems with Walt Disney World"

Post by SlueFootSue » Aug Wed 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Hey Subsonic! I haven't been on the site for a while unfortunately but I just wanted to say first thanks for sharing the article. I too am a Disney traditionalist and believe that Walt's "Quality will out" is the way that The Walt Disney Company should think. In many cases Cast Members try our best, in small roles, to bring to life that magic. I think it's always an important thing to look back and say "What would Walt Do?" sometimes in comparing the present to our past we can realize our dreams of bringing back the original, high quality, above and beyond magic that still exists in the most unexpected of places in the park.

Also the new Thunder Mountain theme is great!! :o)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Wed 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks for posting this on here Sub! I really enjoyed reading this article and it got me thinking about everything and my recent experiences. Over the past few years we have only been able to stay at a Deluxe resort thanks to the deep discounts Disney has had. The Buy 4 Get 3 Free last year and the 35% off this year. I do wonder how much of an effect that the outsourcing has had on the quality of service. Does anybody know if the Friendships are still maintained by Disney or is it done by a third party?

As for the prices, I have noticed the rise over the years. I've been keen to the merchandise price increase and homogenization. I do think this has been done to cut costs as they can make 10,000 pieces of the same plush toy for a lot cheaper than say 2,000 if they were to sell it at one location. I spoke with the store at the YC when I was there in July about the loss of personalized merchandise. They stated that it was due to it not selling. However, that was because it was $35 for a shirt and $55 for a sweatshirt. I know I wouldn't spend that much money on it. Disney found a way to out price themselves and has now started to homogenize in order to charge a price people are unhappy about, but willing to spend. I have been buying less and less over the years. In fact, I ended up buying most of my stuff at the Disney Character Premiere store at the Orlando Premium Outlets. I found out that they sell merchandise at cost or just over cost. A lot of attraction or resort specific merchandise was there at close to 67% off the price. I personally think that the Dooney and Bourke handbags have been a nice touch. They are an outsource, but are priced accordingly and are well made. They offer a bit of trendiness. Finally as far as the DLR/WDW combining of merchandise, I think the worst case of this has to be some of the yearly stuff. The best case of this is the yearly Matchbox bus. One side is decorated for WDW and the other side is decorated for DLR. I guess it would cost too much for Disney to make a seperate bus for each park.

As for the dining and Fantasmic. I have to agree with Matt. He hit nail on the head with his summation. We didn't even try to get into Fantasmic on our previous two vacations due to the horror stories we have heard.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 26, 2010 6:56 am

That was an interesting article. I didn't realize how much was outsourced!
That is sad about Fantasmic too. It makes me wonder if we will get to see it on our trip this year. We were looking forward to seeing it there since it is such a packed nightmare out in DL. We really enjoy it but my Mom won't be able to stand for hours just waiting to get in.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 7:08 am

Amy wrote:That was an interesting article. I didn't realize how much was outsourced!
That is sad about Fantasmic too. It makes me wonder if we will get to see it on our trip this year. We were looking forward to seeing it there since it is such a packed nightmare out in DL. We really enjoy it but my Mom won't be able to stand for hours just waiting to get in.
We tried to get into Fantasmic when we were there in February, what a disaster that was stood in a queue for ages , then when we finally got into the theatre it was standing room only. I am only 5'2" so if some great muckle man stood in front of me I wouldn't have a chance, the options were take a chance or queue for the later showing. We opted for missing the show ,going back to the hotel and having some hot chocolate. We may try again next year.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 26, 2010 7:24 am

Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:That was an interesting article. I didn't realize how much was outsourced!
We tried to get into Fantasmic when we were there in February, what a disaster that was stood in a queue for ages , then when we finally got into the theatre it was standing room only. I am only 5'2" so if some great muckle man stood in front of me I wouldn't have a chance, the options were take a chance or queue for the later showing. We opted for missing the show ,going back to the hotel and having some hot chocolate. We may try again next year.
Were there just not many showings of Fantasmic? Or has it become super popular? I remember walking right in shortly after the ampitheater opened when we were there last time. We sat for awhile before the show started but had no problem getting in. And Disney CM provided entertainment for the crowd while we waited ~ trivia questions, throwing out beach balls and t-shirts and such.

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 7:29 am

Amy wrote:Were there just not many showings of Fantasmic? Or has it become super popular? I remember walking right in shortly after the ampitheater opened when we were there last time. We sat for awhile before the show started but had no problem getting in. And Disney CM provided entertainment for the crowd while we waited ~ trivia questions, throwing out beach balls and t-shirts and such.
They only show it two nights a week now. Well they do at that time of the year, I'm not sure about peak periods but I'm sure someone on the site would know the answer to that. So you have seven days guests competing for two evenings NOT GOOD.

jenhen27
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jenhen27 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 8:48 am

I agree with the article. But he left off parking, which if he has an AP he may not even think about, but every year parking has gone up a dollar. May not sound like a lot but that's a lot of money over the course of the week. Now we use my mom's AP so I'd have to double check on the price but I think it's up to 12 bucks a day! That's outrageous. I can't imagine the parking lot upkeep has gone up that much over the last five years to justify an entire extra dollar a year per day. Heck, half the parking lots are empty when I go. To my knowledge they haven't really built any new roads or anything recently.

As for the homogenization of merchandise. I kind of like that. I like that I don't have to buy something right then, that I could likely find it in another park or DTD, but that's just me.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Oh another outsourced thing Disney has is the groundskeeping. The grasses along WDW roads are cut by third parties.

As for the Fantasmic showings. During the peak season it is usually every other night. There was the rare night on our last stay where they did two showings of it on one of the nights.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Thu 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Wow, that's a real good article there and while I've never been to Disney World, it's good to help broaden my views on what's going on throughout the parks there.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Fri 27, 2010 3:21 pm

I thought that Fantasmic was only being shown on Thursdays and Sundays...I think I saw that on the Studios website that the article was on.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Aug Fri 27, 2010 3:41 pm

jenhen27 wrote: Now we use my mom's AP so I'd have to double check on the price but I think it's up to 12 bucks a day!
$14 actually... :shock:

I wish the people in charge of the parks remembered this quote from Walt himself: "You reach a point where you don't work for money."
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Fri 27, 2010 3:56 pm

This is all actually very depressing. I don't see it getting any better. :cry:
Well, we'll just live it up in December, and hope for the best.

SlueFootSue

Post by SlueFootSue » Aug Mon 30, 2010 3:13 pm

MadEye wrote:
I wish the people in charge of the parks remembered this quote from Walt himself: "You reach a point where you don't work for money."
I agree!! I feel like sometimes those in charge aren't really coming to the parks and listening to the guests. Walt was right, when your passionate and you put your heart into what you do then money isn't what you are thinking about. We should be trying our best to provide that high quality.
Len90 wrote:
As for the prices, I have noticed the rise over the years. I've been keen to the merchandise price increase and homogenization. I do think this has been done to cut costs as they can make 10,000 pieces of the same plush toy for a lot cheaper than say 2,000 if they were to sell it at one location. I spoke with the store at the YC when I was there in July about the loss of personalized merchandise. They stated that it was due to it not selling.
This is a great point! I see it happening everywhere. It made a big impression on me when I used to walk into two different stores in the park, or even on Main Street U.S.A. and see very different merchandise being sold. It is a little sad that everything is conforming to one main stream set of items. I think it takes a little of the personality out of the gift shops and stores. It's sad really the amount of outsourcing that takes place, before this article I didn't realize how far it went.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Mon 30, 2010 3:36 pm

Mousekedude wrote:This is all actually very depressing. I don't see it getting any better. :cry:
Well, we'll just live it up in December, and hope for the best.
That's all we can hope now. At least make the best of it and enjoy it while you can.