Subsonic Radio wants your ideas for updates.

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Subsonic Radio wants your ideas for updates.

Post by subsonic » Jul Wed 14, 2010 9:36 am

I feel Subsonic Radio hasn't had an site update in a while. Rdeacon has been great about adding tracks and we both did a forum upgrade, but overal, there hasn't been a new code feature in quite some time. Now, I have a Google doc filled with ideas that I wanted to do but with my schedule it seems I never get around to them and they might not be the most desired thing by you, the listeners.

So, what I want to know is, what would YOU like to see as an enhancement to the website?

Post your suggestions and ideas here. I may or may not use them due to the complexity or stupidity of your idea but this is your chance to help the site grow. I will then take the do-able suggestions and make a poll and have users vote to see which will make it in.

I'm looking forward to hearing your input and making this site grow!
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Subsonic Radio wants your ideas for updates.

Post by subsonic » Jul Wed 14, 2010 10:23 am

I also want to throw out an idea I've been thinking about/discussing for a little while now. When SR was just starting out, the forums weren't nearly as active as they are now. It was one of the reasons I had points increase with posts, it gave users incentive to be active on the forums. Of course, it had it's drawbacks with users posting nonsense just to request some of the longer tracks. Nowadays, the forums are in full swing. I can't keep up anymore. I feel gaining points when posting isn't as necessary.

So, what I was thinking was removing the post/point ratio and giving every user the same amount of points (raising the cap as well). In addition, making long tracks unavailable to be requested. Your thoughts?
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jul Wed 14, 2010 11:10 am

A feature I would like to see would be different ways to sort and search for tracks. Could there be a link you click which sorts the tracks in ascending order according to how many times they have been requested? I like to request the stuff we don't hear as much and is not requested that often... Or on the other end, maybe a link to show which tracks are on most peoples treasured lists?

Sub, in response to your idea... I have no problem with everyone having the same number of points. I think the core group of people who post on here would tend to agree that we don't do it for points or status anyway. I can never seem to use all my points in one day. Also, when you say we can't request the long tracks, does that mean the option of requesting the 72 minute EE loop will be taken away from Jacca5660 forever? :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jul Wed 14, 2010 11:28 am

Going along with NaCler's Suggestion, perhaps a sort by park as well?

As far as making the long loops unavailable to request, I understand that they do clog up the request stream, however there are many users who like to listen to those loops when working, studying, cleaning...etc

Listening to the background station is great, but there is no way of listening to any given loop at any given time. Unless there is a way to add a "loop only" stream where people can only request long loops. (Sorry if that's a candidate for the stupid idea bag...)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Wed 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Actually, I came into this the other way around: I joined for the forum and the whole radio request line was a "bonus" thing. But I agree if people joined for the reason the other way around than there could be a reason to abuse posting for points.

You could always revise that each ticket level had a flat amount of points regardless of the number of postings. You would advance from ticket to ticket based on postings, but while you're that ticket level you would have the flat amount of points available until you reach the next ticket level:

0 - 100 postings = A Ticket = 2,000 points
101 - 300 postings = B Ticket = 5,000 points
301 - 600 postings = C Ticket = 10,000 points
601 - 1000 postings = D Ticket = 20,000 points
1001 - 4000 postings = E Ticket = 40,000 points
4001 - postings = F Ticket = 50,000 points max

...or some kind of graduated scale like that. There should be a cap on points IMHO. Really, who needs more than 50,000 points ever??? I would like to keep the job titles. It's fun to see what job titles pop up. The job titles would continue to based on the # of postings, and you can add some new job titles (maybe the highest you can reach is to be the CEO of Walt Disney Co. LOL!).

larrym1959

Post by larrym1959 » Jul Wed 14, 2010 2:23 pm

It would be nice to have an all day channel of just background music from the parks. You could just click and go about your day. Like you did for Soarin

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Wed 14, 2010 4:10 pm

I agree with MmeLeota. I love some of the long loops, and a stream featuring only those would be pretty cool. I definitely would beg you not to discard them, though. Several of them are my favorites. So maybe dividing the streams would be a good idea: requests of 15 minutes or less on one stream, longer requests on another.
As for capping the points, I don't see a problem with that. Just leave us enough to be able to request a couple hours' worth of stuff in a given 24 hr. period. Many times I request my 30 minutes worth, and then when those run out I request 30 minutes more, etc. Sometimes I spend an afternoon that way when I'm working around the house 'n stuff. I'd hate to lose that ability.

Another suggestion from a personal angle: how about making that last photo I sent you into a background? :mrgreen:
More backgrounds would be cool, and you did say you liked that one..... :mrgreen:

Other than that, I love this site just as it is, personally. I really can't think of any way to improve it! :D

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Wed 14, 2010 4:11 pm

larrym1959 wrote:It would be nice to have an all day channel of just background music from the parks. You could just click and go about your day. Like you did for Soarin
There already is one, bro. :mrgreen:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 14, 2010 8:44 pm

I would hate to see the longer loops go away and be unavailable. Those are the ones I generally enjoy the most since they aren't ones I have in my personal collection. So, I would second, well third after Mousekedude, MmeLeota's loop stream. That way people who want to listen to longer tracks can, while others who don't want to, don't.
I definitely want to keep some sort of tickets and job titles. I haven't requested anything - yet - so I'm definitely not posting for points. A majority of the time I'm not even listening to the stream, I'm just forum-ing! Mostly I really enjoy being able to talk Disney with other people who "get" Disney :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Wed 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Amy wrote:I would hate to see the longer loops go away and be unavailable. Those are the ones I generally enjoy the most since they aren't ones I have in my personal collection. So, I would second, well third after Mousekedude, MmeLeota's loop stream. That way people who want to listen to longer tracks can, while others who don't want to, don't.
I definitely want to keep some sort of tickets and job titles. I haven't requested anything - yet - so I'm definitely not posting for points. A majority of the time I'm not even listening to the stream, I'm just forum-ing! Mostly I really enjoy being able to talk Disney with other people who "get" Disney :D
I have to admit I have requested the longer tracks, but I've done like at 10 PM or later, or on the weekend, when there's very little requests if any in the queue.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Wed 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Sub, it seems like a good idea to get rid of the points for post idea. However, there should be some separation on point amounts that relates to posts. I like the idea of how Mindflipper set it up. I personally have close to 35,000 points and see no need for that many. I do think that the maximum amount of points an account who has surpassed "x" number of posts could be like 12,000. The reason behind this number is that the longest loops are about 4,000 points each. This allows that person to request up to three big loops.

I think the requests list should be updated to allow different types of sorting. I think you should be allowed to sort by length (ascending/descending) and also maybe by number of comments. Another feature I would love to see added is to sort tracks by age. I know rdeacon always puts up a list of what he adds, but it is tough to keep track of it. There could even be a "What's new" tab.

As for the longer loops, I honestly think they should be kept in the request pool and allowed to be requested. I thoroughly enjoy requesting and listening to those tracks. A lot of my favorite and treasured tracks are a bit on the lengthier side of things.

Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinion on ways to improve this great place!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Lumiere
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Lumiere » Jul Thu 15, 2010 9:06 am

First, thanks to all who make this site work!

I'd hate to see the long tracks go away, most of them are great. If they were moved to the background channel they couldn't be requested and it would simply be the luck of the draw. It would be nice to see whats in the play list for the next hour (or two or three) on the background channel.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Thu 15, 2010 11:47 am

I would hate to see the long tracks go away as well. And like others have said, I like to request longer loops and then request more tracks once my 30min. limit is up. Usually on weekends, or late at night when not alot of people are requesting.

And not to sound like a broken record but thanks for this site, I think there would be alot of us that would be lost w/o it!!!

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Jul Thu 15, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm also in the group that wouldn't want to get rid of long tracks. Late at night, they're perfect for studying, and if we were held to a 30 min. limit, 2 random songs would be queued before I could make my next request. Sometimes, that's okay. Sometimes, those random songs are crazy, which means I'd be more likely to change channels. :cry:

Would it be possible to limit the hours when long tracks could be played? Maybe 10 pm - 8 am? That might solve the problem. Plus Sundays.

I'd also like to have a wider search and sort capability - by length, by times played, by .... who knows.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jul Thu 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Definitely not vital but is there a way we can add a delete your request button? I know it has happened on here several times where someone is requesting several tracks that go together, i.e. parade tracks, and someone will request the first 2 or 3, then someone else will request a track and it is stuck in the middle of the parade tracks. If this happens, then the person that requested the parade tracks could delete their requests and try again later to get them all playing back-to-back. Again, not vital but a nice feature nonetheless.

And I think momeja has it figured out the best. It seems like the most popular part of the day for requesting tracks is between 10a - 4pm EST. Why not make anything longer than 30 minutes unavailable to request during this time period? It would definitely get more requests in during this period. I do like the long loops as well, except for one... but, I understand the need for changing this.