Subsonic Radio wants your ideas for updates.

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: Subsonic Radio wants your ideas for updates.

Post by rphillips14 » Aug Mon 16, 2010 8:39 pm

The one small change I wish I could make would be to play the "Good Morning Song" (as you go into the MK) each morning on demand as I LOVE to start my day with that happy song!

Fantastory
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by Fantastory » Aug Sun 22, 2010 3:24 pm

I love the radio but I don't often feel that I have useful info to contribute to discussions: I settle for my tiny amount of points rather than annoy people by posting unnecessary crap. That said, I love the idea of dropping the post/point system yet still giving everyone a limit. Speaking for those of us who love music but don't always have much to say, I think the ticket system that some people have proposed (A = 2000 points, B = 5000 etc) leaves us out in the cold. I don't know what I would do with more than 5K points but I would certainly want more than 2K...and would still have to post a ton of unnecessary crap to get there. I understand that some people have been contributing here much longer than others, but why should the awesomeness and beauty that is Disney be restricted based on who is naturally talkative and who is naturally quiet?

As far as the crazy-long tracks are concerned, I add my vote to the seperate Long Track Channel. I can't request them myself but I love listening to some of them, like the Innoventions Plaza loop and ToT queue. While nighttime is a popular time for the long tracks, I want to throw out that some of us work strange schedules and would still like to hear the long stuff in the middle of the day. The seperate stream seems like the perfect solution. But please don't get rid of the Holiday channel - that becomes my life at Halloween.

I would LOVE to be able to see the name of the tracks as they play on the Schedule and Background streams. I tend to be listening and find that I love a song, and then have no idea where it's from or what it's called and will never be able to find it again.

I do like the proposed idea of being able to sort the tracks by amount of requests.

I would request a "Parades and Shows" channel but I'm afraid that the half-dozen different versions of each show *coughIllumiNationscough* would clog it up.

I wish there was an easier way to submit tracks. I sent a live recording of the WDW Main Street Trolley Show to rdeacon nearly 10 months ago and it hasn't been added.

And once again...Thank you for this wonderful site! You make my life magical. ^_^
"Gosh, Minnie. You've always been a princess to me." -Mickey

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Sun 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Fantastory I think if you keep track, you'll find that the people with the most points request the least.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Aug Sun 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Fantastory I think if you keep track, you'll find that the people with the most points request the least.
Take me for example. The last time I ever requested something was sometime in April and had a few day spree July 31st-August 5th (on my birthday) and now I just listen to the background stream on the iPod touch with the application.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sun 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Fantastory I think if you keep track, you'll find that the people with the most points request the least.
Very true. The last time I really requested anything was on May 29. The only thing I have requested then was to test if the system was working with a 30 second piece on July 13. I will say that I do request a bit when I'm studying for finals, but I am considerate with that and only request a lot at the off hours when nobody else is requesting.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

skull
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by skull » Aug Tue 24, 2010 8:23 am

I don't know how the WMP streams are setup, cause I never use them... but for the shoutcast stream, I have a suggestion...

Right now, in the playlist, it shows up like this.

SUBSONICRADIO.COM - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)

So in winamp, it looks like this

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7706/winampu.jpg

I keep all 3 streams in my playlist, so I can switch easily without having to goto the site, and without stretching out my playlist screen, I can't tell which is which. So, what I propose, is to change it to show up something like this.

SUBSONICRADIO.COM - REQ - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)
SUBSONICRADIO.COM - SCH - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)
SUBSONICRADIO.COM - BGM - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)

That way, it shows up in the playlist without having to expand the playlist, which stream is which! :)
Last edited by skull on Aug Tue 24, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.adamandshannan.info/skull/skullsm.jpg[/img]

skull

Post by skull » Aug Tue 24, 2010 8:38 am

hmm... actually, I just took a look on the server... seems the SUBCONICRADIO.COM part is part of the trackname.. so this will not work :(

Perhaps something like this then?

SCH - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)
BGM - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)
REQ - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)
[img]http://www.adamandshannan.info/skull/skullsm.jpg[/img]

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Tue 24, 2010 9:17 am

I haven't requested anything since June 3!!! And even at that, I only requested at night when the queue is empty.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Thu 09, 2010 1:00 pm

Mindflipper: I like your HM avatar :)

I've been reading the thread. I know I asked this quite a while ago and nothing has been done on the site about it (which has been my M.O. for a while) but I want to say some decisions based on what I've read.

Long tracks: Will not be removed from requesting. So many people like them. :)
Sorting Requests: I'll get some of this in.
More Streams: Probably not going to happen due to technical and bandwidth limitations.
Preview of streams: While I like this idea, this would be a major increase of bandwidth and I wouldn't begin to know where to start technically.
Same Points for everybody: I started this system because the forums were so dead and wanted more people to post. Now, I think the forums are popular enough where that's not necessary and, in fact, at times, can be counter-productive because some people post "crap" (as Fantastory so eloquently put it) just for points. I'll look into this as well.

The main thing people have been talking about are the non-removal of long tracks, so don't worry, we won't change that, it doesn't need to be talked about anymore. :)

Thanks everybody for your input thus far.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 16, 2010 8:18 pm

subsonic wrote: Same Points for everybody: I started this system because the forums were so dead and wanted more people to post. Now, I think the forums are popular enough where that's not necessary and, in fact, at times, can be counter-productive because some people post "crap" (as Fantastory so eloquently put it) just for points. I'll look into this as well.
I agree about the posting of "crap" for points...but since the change to the forums, I like that some topics still add points while others do not (i.e. "Games"...I always felt guilty for posting in the games forum). I really enjoy getting to the different ticket levels/job titles!

As far as everyone having the same number of points goes, why not increase the starting point to a number where a newbie or a non-talkative person would have enough points to request almost anything (including longer tracks)? Perhaps instead of 1,800 (I think that was the starting point), maybe start with 3,500. This way, those who are talkative and enjoy seeing the job title changes/ticket changes can still do so, but not alienate those who are new to the site or just not interested in sharing on the forums. (I think there's enough blabber-mouths here to keep the forums alive :lol: )

Just a thought... :)

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Sep Fri 17, 2010 2:37 am

Ha, breathe, Jacca. We're just a talkative bunch.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Fri 17, 2010 5:44 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just knew Jacca was going to weigh in on that one! I was all like, "wait for it.... wait for it....."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For the record, though, I know I'm one of 'em, so.....
But hey, that's why we call ourselves the Mayhem Marauders! :D

On topic, I like MmeLeota's idea of starting everyone off with more points to begin with. For those of us who just like to post for fun, it doesn't hurt anything, but for those who don't care for all the posting and would rather just request music, it gives them a fair shot. I like it...

BayLakeTowers
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by BayLakeTowers » Sep Fri 17, 2010 10:55 am

What if we were allowed to post in 12 hour increments rather than 24? Recently I have enough points that I can fill up a 30 minute block with plenty of points to spare. What if after a set time, like four or six hours later, we could use the remaining points to post another block? I'm not saying regenerate the points faster, just allow a user the opportunity to use the points they have. I usually request music to work by during my office hours, but not at night. Now that I think about it, a 12 hour reset wouldn't do me any good, but every four hours, for example, would allow someone to put in two sets of requests during a working day. Right now, there's really no point in having more than about 2500 points because 99% of the music is under that and will fill up a 30min block of audio.

BleuLlama
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by BleuLlama » Sep Fri 17, 2010 11:35 am

skull wrote:hmm... actually, I just took a look on the server... seems the SUBCONICRADIO.COM part is part of the trackname.. so this will not work :(

Perhaps something like this then?

SCH - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)
BGM - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)
REQ - TRACKNAME - (SUBSONIC'S DISNEY THEME PARK AUDIO & MUSIC - SCHEDULED STREAM)
YES! SECONDED!
1978: WDW MK, River Country -- Fort Wilderness
1985: WDW MK, EPCOT, River Country -- Polynesian
2011: DLR, DCA (one day)
2012: WDW Poly (one evening)
All of that, and part of me is still there.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Fri 17, 2010 11:43 am

BayLakeTowers wrote:What if we were allowed to post in 12 hour increments rather than 24? Recently I have enough points that I can fill up a 30 minute block with plenty of points to spare. What if after a set time, like four or six hours later, we could use the remaining points to post another block? I'm not saying regenerate the points faster, just allow a user the opportunity to use the points they have. I usually request music to work by during my office hours, but not at night. Now that I think about it, a 12 hour reset wouldn't do me any good, but every four hours, for example, would allow someone to put in two sets of requests during a working day. Right now, there's really no point in having more than about 2500 points because 99% of the music is under that and will fill up a 30min block of audio.
Actually, you've always had the power to go home, Dorothy....

You don't need to wait 12 or 24 or even 1 hour! The only restriction is that you can't have more than 30-minutes worth of music in the queue at any given time. But as soon as your tracks start playing, you can request more. For example, say you've filled up a 30-minute slot, and the first track is 5 minutes long. After it plays, you can actually request another 5 minute track right away. You can keep on doing this for as long as you have enough points. Mouseoholic and I frequently do that on late nights or off days when no one is on there. We just keep requesting stuff as soon as our time slots free up enough for the next tracks that we want. There have been times that between the two of us we had the queue filled up for hours straight because no one else was requesting. :D