Subsonic Radio Updated Forums to PHPBB3

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Subsonic Radio Updated Forums to PHPBB3

Post by NaCler » May Sat 22, 2010 1:56 pm

I thought I saw something like that the other day. I posted several times but it still said I was stuck on 861 posts. I didn't watch the point totals though.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » May Sat 22, 2010 6:13 pm

NaCler wrote:I thought I saw something like that the other day. I posted several times but it still said I was stuck on 861 posts. I didn't watch the point totals though.
From what I can tell, the points only go up for the non-game/off-topic boards.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 22, 2010 6:24 pm

Correct, MadEye. As part of the upgrade no points are given towards posting to the game threads.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » May Sat 22, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone will be ok with that. Most of the people that post on the games have more points than they will ever need.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 22, 2010 6:35 pm

There are other topics too, like the Milestones thread and some others that accrue points for posting as well...(like this one)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 22, 2010 7:01 pm

mindflipper wrote:There are other topics too, like the Milestones thread and some others that accrue points for posting as well...(like this one)
That's interesting...how do you know which topics accrue and which don't? And does it just affect point totals or post totals? Whichever it is, I hope people don't stop playing games ~ they are one of my favorite parts!
I bought a Disneyland board game and tried to play it with my Friday night cards and board games friends. They were not at all amused :( so now I have no one to play it with ~ Subsonic helps fill in the Disney game gap! :lol:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 22, 2010 8:09 pm

hmm that is interesting. I didn't think this was even a possibility. The point total is directly related to your post count. IF this is the case, the 30 minute rule limits you more than the point total does.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Len90 wrote:hmm that is interesting. I didn't think this was even a possibility. The point total is directly related to your post count. IF this is the case, the 30 minute rule limits you more than the point total does.
Yes, Len90, some topics will not accrue points anymore. RDeacon told me that in chat the other day - games, Milestone, etc. Part of the whole upgrade changes.

Arete
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Arete » May Sat 22, 2010 8:35 pm

There really needs to be a list of what does and does not accrue points. For those of us who don't have 40,000 points, posting for points is a major draw to the forum. :(

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 22, 2010 8:58 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:hmm that is interesting. I didn't think this was even a possibility. The point total is directly related to your post count. IF this is the case, the 30 minute rule limits you more than the point total does.
Yes, Len90, some topics will not accrue points anymore. RDeacon told me that in chat the other day - games, Milestone, etc. Part of the whole upgrade changes.
Interesting, I had no idea about this, but it does make sense.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » May Sat 22, 2010 11:04 pm

WIth the new forum upgrade it gave us the ability to disable post counts for select topics. This is a feature we have wanted to implement but were unable with the old forums software. We switched off points for topics that generally don't contribute much to the site. Games and Milestones are a good example of that. We understand that people post for points, but that should not be the the only reason they post. We want the forums to add enrichment to the site, not just be a tool to get to request a song or reach a new rank

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Arete

Post by Arete » May Sat 22, 2010 11:34 pm

rdeacon wrote:WIth the new forum upgrade it gave us the ability to disable post counts for select topics. This is a feature we have wanted to implement but were unable with the old forums software. We switched off points for topics that generally don't contribute much to the site. Games and Milestones are a good example of that. We understand that people post for points, but that should not be the the only reason they post. We want the forums to add enrichment to the site, not just be a tool to get to request a song or reach a new rank

Rich
Can we at least get a list of these, or are they marked with a special symbol? I know wdwparksgal is getting really frustrated because she's trying to earn some points (and as a brand new poster she doesn't have many to begin with - she tells me she's made over a dozen posts but only gotten 20 points). I suspect she may just give up posting altogether out of sheer frustration, as may other new people. I would have gotten extremely frustrated if this happened to me when I was new. Since the forums are the only way to earn points for requests, it's not particularly fair to say "these posts don't count" and then not reveal which posts those are.

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » May Sat 22, 2010 11:42 pm

Sadly you are missing my point. You should post to contribute to the community, not to get points. Points will come as you become a member and join in naturally with threads.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » May Sun 23, 2010 2:28 am

It's good that games are out of the points system. I always felt a bit of a fraud getting points for playing games, but now I can happily play and still get points from the other forums.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » May Sun 23, 2010 11:19 am

rdeacon - We appreciate everything you and the admins have done to make this site a better place for us to come in and share our experiences.