Deacon on Disney - Fastpasses

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Deacon on Disney - Fastpasses

Post by rdeacon » Apr Mon 07, 2008 11:46 am

Today’s topic should raise a heated debate. It seems there is a lot of feelings on both sides of the FASTPASS argument. So lets get into it.

I can honestly say when FASTPASS first came out I thought it was a great idea. I like most other well informed guests I jumped in line to get my FASTPASS to avoid waiting in line. There is a sweet joy walking past all the other guest waiting in line to get on a ride, or in a attraction without waiting in the heat for hours. I still enjoy that part of the FASTPASS. But walking thru the queue past the other guest got me to thinking about the FASTPASS system in greater depth.

Here are my top 6 issues with the current FASTPASS system.
  • 1. Division of guests – Disney has always been about the guest experience. I feel FASTPASS has created a divide amongst guests. If you stand on the “otherâ€
Last edited by rdeacon on Apr Mon 07, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Deacon on Disney - Fastpasses

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Apr Mon 07, 2008 11:56 am

rdeacon wrote:Today’s topic should raise a heated debate.
To say the least!
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

TheCheshireStitch
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Apr Mon 07, 2008 12:01 pm

i definitely see all of your points. at first, i figured i'd say that hey, no one is making you use fastpasses...so feel free to wait in line to enjoy the queues and to avoid running from one land to another to get fastpasses....but then you made the observation that normal lines are longer, and that makes sense seeing that they have to fit the fastpass people in with the normal line people.

personally, i'm a lot happier with fastpass. though there are some definite cons, i feel the pros of fastpass outweigh them (again, for me...i'm not saying this goes for everybody). for people with medical issues, i feel fastpass makes things more tolerable than standing for a long time in the heat. i know that some queues allow for wheelchairs and people with medical issues to cut a substantial part of the line in how they work, but not every ride is like that.

also, i enjoy going on many rides in one day instead of just a few due to hour (or more) long waits for certain rides. for me, a long line can really affect how much i enjoy a ride. for example, my husband and i waited for 2 hours for soarin' when it first opened (during extra magic hours, no less) and by the time we got on the ride, we really didn't see it as anything special. the next time we used fastpass, and we LOVED soarin'. it was amazing for us to see just how much that 2 hour line spoiled it for us the first time.

so, yea, that's my 2 cents. again, this is just my personal preference...i definitely can understand that others could feel a lot differently.
DVC member SSR, Annual Passholder

Disney pin trading nut!

Hubby and I are Disney fanatics! Visit "the world" 3 times a year. <3

:ccat: :jack: :figment:

flyingcowofdoom
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by flyingcowofdoom » Apr Mon 07, 2008 12:14 pm

I've got an even better idea! They should stop offering ADRs! Everyone should have to wait for a table, every time. No seriously! But it will be ok, because Tony's has a TV playing Lady and the Tramp on a loop so you can watch it 1.2 times while you're waiting for your table! I think this will be a good idea, because with the current system people that didn't make a reservation are forced to wait a long time for a table. This creates a divide between the prepared guests and the unprepared ones. We wouldn't want the dumb people that don't make a plan for their vacation to feel awkward about stupidly not making reservations, now would we?

--FCOD
[img]http://images6.theimagehosting.com/fcod_userbar.gif[/img]

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Apr Mon 07, 2008 2:02 pm

rdeacon, I agree with you on every single one of your points. I'm glad you could categorize and organize them. :D I won't re-iterate anything because you did a great job, but I do have one more point to add.

This may seem a little nit-picky, but another reason I don't like fast passes is because of the fastpass machines themselves. They're ugly. Disney can theme them however they want, but everyone still knows what they are and they become an eyesore. Most are right in front of the ride (BTM comes to mind) and besides the structures that block most of what was a carefully crafted view of the attraction, there are also lines of people using the machines. I cringe when I walk up to big thunder now, through the crowds and passed the wonderfully detailed, but obtrusive fast pass structure. It used to seem like you were walking into a deserted mining building. Soarin' and RnR are really infamous too. Too many people in such a small spce. About the only one that dosen't bother me is ToT's because it's hidden. If they must have fast pass, I wish they would put them out of the way, yet close by like ToT's.

You can tell all the rides that use fast pass because the entrances are marked with hundreds of people.

faxprincess
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by faxprincess » Apr Mon 07, 2008 2:49 pm

It's so funny - when I have them, I love them. When I don't, I hate everyone that does. But I won't wait for ANY ride more than about 30 minutes anyway. I made that mistake once - The Rocket Rods. Almost 3 hours. Never. Never. Never again. I do agree that part of the fun of the ride is the line - Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain. It builds the excitement, as long as you dont' have to wait too long.

P.S. The whole early dining reservation thing is ridiculous! I don't plan my trips that way - I like to decide that day where I want to eat. Maybe I don't feel like eating at the Blue Bayou on Tuesday! Maybe I want to go Thursday, but I can't, because the reservations have been taken 3 months ago!!

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Re: Deacon on Disney - Fastpasses

Post by DisBeamer » Apr Mon 07, 2008 3:35 pm

I second Cheshire seconding rdeacon. You've got everything I think about FPs right there - couldn't have said it any better myself. :)
rdeacon wrote:5. Poor Queue designs – The worst offender of this is Soarin in Epcot. I know they have made some modifications to slightly entertain guest in the standby line, but over the entire queue is just really boring. Originally it was just pictures of landscapes with some repeating trivia facts. That type of queue might be fine for people going right into the attraction, but if you are on the standby line it’s painful.
I didn't realize those games were added and not original. I actually waited in the standby line in December and have to admit we had a pretty good time with those games. The wait was about ... 75 minutes(?) I would guess (interestingly the wait on FastPass, from what I could tell, was about 30 and most of that was beyond the screens so they had nothing at all to look at). I can't imagine having done that and just stared at the walls. The interior is so bland. Ick. I find it strange they put so little effort into it and so much into Expedition Everest (the queues, not the rides).
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Guy
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Guy » Apr Mon 07, 2008 3:42 pm

Mmm - interesting. I totally agree with having the fastpass system; it made the trip for me. My wife and I went in May 2007 and by using the FP system we were able to go on everything we wanted more than once. When trips to WDW are few and far between (we live in the UK) it is very easy not to get the whole experience - by using the pass to go on rides and then using the normal queues on other occasions we were able to see both lines and therefore all the 'pre-show' stuff.

I feel that the argument that FP lines make normal lines longer is slightly flawed as the same amount of people are in the parks and and are therefore still distributed across the rides in the usual manner. I also disagree with the other argument that the system has a psychological factor (people in normal lines resent those in FP etc.). This would be true if only certain guests were allowed FPs. Yes, one does raise an eyebrow when seeing the FP queue moving faster, but it is quid pro quo (one is likely to be in front of those people in another queue if they are not using FP).

Pre-show or no pre-show there is only so long I am able to stand in the heat in a queue before I start questioning whether I could really be doing something better with my day.

A good topic to argue on :?

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Apr Mon 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Guy wrote:I feel that the argument that FP lines make normal lines longer is slightly flawed as the same amount of people are in the parks and and are therefore still distributed across the rides in the usual manner.
I don't think they are, though. If I am in the standby line for Test Track and hold a FastPass for Soarin' - particularly one with a return time close to when I will be finished with Test Track - I am effectively in two lines at once. They even advertise it that way; 'it holds your place in line'. You can't do that without FastPass. Or a portal device of some sort (which would be cool... I would support DisneyPortals :lol: ).

It's that 'doubling' that I believe causes the problems since you're upping the number of people in the queue - virtual queue, in this case - but the ride capacity, whatever it is, remains the same.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

sunny34
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by sunny34 » Apr Mon 07, 2008 3:56 pm

As for the Fast Pass issue.. All good points. I really could take them or leave them. I won't get in a line if the wait is over 30 minutes. There are so many other things to do that I would rather just come back later. I've found that during the extra magic hours we can usually do just about anything we want with little or no wait.

As for the disney dining reservations... We always book for the Rose & Crown. We love it and any day works for us. We usually go to DW for a week.. and I may book two meals the whole time.. the rest of the time we wing it. But sometimes I just like knowing that I won't miss eating at one of our favorite places because it happens to be an extremely busy day.

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by secondstar » Apr Mon 07, 2008 4:53 pm

rdeacon, while I agree with ALL your observations, I am still not ready to give up my FastPass.

Yes, one of my biggest complaints is missing on the queue's story. That is why I always take the stand-by line on a first run of any ride. However, after I've learned all there is to learn from the queue, I just want to ride the ride. I don't need to wait in the lobby (again) at TOT to absorb the ambience. I just want to ride.

I also have noticed the growing animosity between lines. This concerns me as it detracts from the "Disney" experience. It is something Disney will have to work out. However, the way Disney limits the number of FastPasses you can hold at one time, it does seem to make it fair for all when you consider the entire day. At some point, you're going to be the FastPass holder and at other times, you're going to be in stand-by. It just seems to work out.

My biggest complaint with FastPass is, as you've properly noted, you have to pre-plan out your entire day PRIOR to arrival. In fact, it almost starts months in advance. I've already had things down to: They'll check in for breakfast while I run over to E:E with everyone's tickets for FastPasses. After breakfast, we'll walk the Pangani Trail and Maharajeh Trek, then check if FastPasses are ready. If so, I'll run to Kilimanjaro Safari for new FastPasses while others ride E:E. Then..., well you get the idea. And this is figured out months in advance, including meal times. And FastPass is making sit-down dining more crowded.

Still, I have a 4-year-old and FastPass is a must. Moreover, with a shopper like my DW, it just gives us more time to browse shops. Given the choice of having it or not, I'll take it. It just needs to be improved upon!
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Apr Mon 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Some good points rdeacon, but I too and not ready to give up the fastpass. Since many of the fastpass rides are our favorites we sometimes go through the fastpass line only to finish the attraction and immediately get into the regular line to go on it again! This gives you the best of both systems; you get to ride right away and you see the que line. I have never felt hatred or envy of people in the fastpass line because we have used it so often ourselves. Yes, sometimes you have to do a lot of preplanning, but wouldn't everyone agree that a well planned trip to WDW is better? Bottom line: keep the fastpass and take advantage of it when you can.

RREng77
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by RREng77 » Apr Mon 07, 2008 9:28 pm

Great article, rdeacon.

My DW and I are really fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type people, and even so are on the proverbial fence on this topic. We've taken advantage of the FP's before and found it much better than waiting in line. On the other hand, I've only ever been frustrated queueing in PPF. FP is worth all the other disadvantage for its use on that ride alone :!:

On the other hand, when we're in line we not only get the advantage of the well-designed queues, but we get to spend time with one another (and the sons). After all, time together is why we choose to visit WDW - we can all hang out together and still find things we all enjoy! :mickey:
To do the improbable, we first have to dream the impossible.

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7058/userbar646708dw8.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3340/userbar646714dx9.gif[/img][/url]

rmorton50

Post by rmorton50 » Apr Mon 07, 2008 9:31 pm

I like the fastpasses and think they really help the guest experience most of the time. I do agree wholeheartedly, that boring queue lines such as soarin' are not acceptable. I could go to Six Flags and see that. I do wait in line sometimes for things that I know have a good queue, such as Expedition Everest or Indiana Jones. I sometimes pass up a ride that has too long a queue for me. I make that decision on the fly - depends on how I feel right then. All in all, I would be sad to see fastpass go away.

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Apr Tue 08, 2008 1:46 am

I don't have strong feelings about this one either way, but my gut is that any perk that comes at the expense of other guests, regardless of the reason, is bad form and probably doesn't belong in a Disney park.

I'm also swayed by the argument of it ruining your day by having to rush around and try to plan meals and shows around specific ride times. It also ruins any chance a casual rider might have of happening upon a short line at a popular ride, since it systematically pads any possible short wait time with more people. In that sense, it seems like something some pencil pusher came up with that improves "flow" by forcing guests to behave in a way that's best for the company, not for the guests themselves.

Universal has a similar system that has many of the same problems (rides weren't designed for the second line, the queue is missed, creates a have/have-not culture, etc.) but at least it's many times more convenient for anyone using the system. At any time, on any ride, you can go to the front of the line (once per ride per day, if/when they choose to enforce the rule). Again, it's a perk that comes at the expense of others, but it's an easy perk to get (it's "free" when you stay on-site) and you don't have to deal with extra paperwork or schedules. You just show your room key when you want to get on (and if you've lost that, you have other problems).

Both systems are "unfair", but at least at Universal, there's no added stress. You can still be a casual rider and get the bennies.

Disney has way too many hotel rooms for this to work. They could probably pull it off if they only did it for the Deluxe resorts, which still is pretty unfair, but somehow wouldn't anger me as much, since I know they're paying through the nose for the privilege.

That aspect of the system works better with Universal's more reasonable rates for nice rooms, but oh well...