Deacon on Disney - Annoyed

Current News

Moderator: Moderators

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Deacon on Disney - Annoyed

Post by rdeacon » Feb Mon 25, 2008 3:12 pm

I must say I am annoyed at Disney today. I fail to understand why make certain decisions, that are purely profit driven. This had been gnawing at for a few weeks, why, huh you say?

Well, as I troll around the web getting my daily Disney news fix, I occasionally stumble upon cool interesting news items. I also find some that annoy me, or some that cause a delayed reaction.

It just so happened I stumbled upon a cool news story a few weeks back. The story was about Disney rebuilding the treehouses. I was amazed and quite happy at this news. Then my delayed reaction kicked in.

Here is the post for reference: Tree Houses are Back

For those of you don’t want to read it the post, it goes into details on how Disney is going to knock down the old tree houses and build new ones. Now that news in itself is not the most awe inspiring news, well it is cool they are building new ones, but it’s the back story that leads to my disappointment.

Disney has not touch the tree houses for years. A couple of months ago the tree houses where used for cast member housing. Disney had an issue with where the tree houses were built. The tree houses are built in a flood plan are forced to adhere to strict guidelines about the footprint size of the foundation. For years Disney was saying they could not do anything with them, because if they tore them down they would be unable to rebuild them, since the original design was grandfathered in. Well the smarty folks at WDI thought of a way around the law. It’s pretty simple actually. The entire tree house will sit on pillars and as a result take up less of a footprint and have a reduced second floor square footage. Pretty snazzy huh.

Ok at this point you are saying, what’s to be annoyed about, tree houses good, more square footage good… what’s the beef.

I don’t have a beef with the tree houses, I personally can’t wait to stay in one. The issue I have is Disney’s thinking towards the way the decide to ignore certain eyesores while they redevelop other areas.

My biggest issue with this policy is River Country. I know I know.. its been closed for years, why is this a new issue? The tree house story got me thinking about River Country and the other areas that are currently being ignored. If they can overcome the technical hurdles of the tree houses, they can fix river country

River Country is a sad, sad sight. It’s extremely depressing. Disney has made no attempt to do anything with the property, just let it degrade. We have never gotten a concrete answer to why it closed, but most blame the lake water. The lakes has been blamed because the water is not clear enough to see thru, or it contains a small amoeba that lives in the lakes and can be deadly once the lake hits 80 degrees. I tend to think the latter is more the issue they closed. Either way you can’t tell me WDI can’t redesign River County to be a close system of chlorinated water. Surely the fine folks at WDI can fix this issue. How cool would a redesigned River County be, sandwiched between the campground and the expanded Wilderness Lodge.

Another pet peeve of mine is the 2nd story of the Imagination pavilion. How many years will it site unused? Is there nothing that WDI can imagine for the second floor. How about a figment lab? Revamped touch, taste and smell zones? Heck at this point I would be happy with a kick butt Figment gift shop.

I know Disney is a company that is out to make money. I guess the tree houses trigger a reaction to Disney’s latest desire to make profits and ignore the some of the small details. I feel Disney would have ignored the tree houses for many more years. Its just now they realized they can make a premium of them if they redesign them. I just find it sad that recently tend to learn towards profit over the “Disneyâ€
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

YZFDonor
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by YZFDonor » Feb Mon 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Your description sounds more like transformation from a true Tree House that they are now to more of a Beach House!

I really hope I am wrong! That would be awful... :evil:

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Feb Mon 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Rich, I totally agree. Perhaps my biggest peave with Disney over the last few years is the way they have ignored problem areas. In Spring 2004 we exited SSE to what used to be the exhibit area, only it looked more like a deserted convention hall. It was vacant from wall to wall and looked terrible. :?

RC has been ignored for far too long. If they don't intend to fix it, then clear it out and get rid of the eysore it has become. As for the Treehouses, I hated to see what they had been reduced to. It was the first place my family stayed back in the 70s, and they had become a sad site.

One of Walt's mantras was to never let the guests see an unfinished product. I would say that would also go for products and attractions that have fallen in to disrepair, etc. There is no way in the world Walt would have let the Treehouses or RC sit and rot the way they have. OK, I'm off to take a dep breath. :x
Last edited by SimonTemplar on Feb Tue 26, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

miceman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by miceman » Feb Mon 25, 2008 8:27 pm

I have an friend who was on the second level of the Imagination venue about six months back. Guess Disney is using the space for trying out full mock ups of new kiosk or whatever you call them for an Innovations sponsor. Select guest would be brought upstairs to try something out, give feedback, etc.

So I guess the space is being used, but c'mon, couldn't WDI just as easily do that somewhere backstage and not tie up guest accesible areas.

Add to my own list of area's I'd like to see used again for something or just put into general use by the normal everyday guest: 20k or at MK, WOL @ Epcot, Odessy House @ Epcot, That multiple pavilion pavilion over near Canada @ Epcot, and Discovery Island out in Bay Lake. Hearing they just use certain spaces for special events or have no use for it doesn't fly with me.

As far as the Treehouses, I can't wait to stay in them again!

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Feb Mon 25, 2008 9:17 pm

miceman wrote:Add to my own list of area's I'd like to see used again for something or just put into general use by the normal everyday guest: 20k or at MK, WOL @ Epcot, Odessy House @ Epcot, That multiple pavilion pavilion over near Canada @ Epcot, and Discovery Island out in Bay Lake. Hearing they just use certain spaces for special events or have no use for it doesn't fly with me.
the problem with this statement is, only 4 out of the 5 places you mention are still standing/able to be readily used. 20K was paved over, and the subs are long gone and dismantled (I think 1 was sent down to the Disney island/DCL).
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

miceman

Post by miceman » Feb Mon 25, 2008 11:33 pm

Right on 20k. That's the problem, they just paved over it even though it was prime real estate for a new attraction. That's what I meant by put back into general use. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

<sarcasm> And like Disney needs more parking space anyhow! </sarcasm> :mrgreen:

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Feb Tue 26, 2008 4:25 am

miceman wrote:As far as the Treehouses, I can't wait to stay in them again!
And here's why they will never listen to us. A thread full of grumbling and both you and Deacon are anxious to give them lots of money anyway.

I don't really have a solution, as WDW is unique so there's really no free market option, other than boycott, which you guys have clearly demonstrated would never work. (If the hardest of the hardcore won't take action, the average guest is never even going to give it a second thought.)

Anyway, I don't mean to attack anyone's opinion or decisions, just making an observation.

cfd3rd
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by cfd3rd » Feb Tue 26, 2008 8:57 am

Here's another example of a forgotten property.....Pop Century Legendary years. You want to talk about creepy and a sad state. We stayed at Pop in January and saw the abandoned buildings and grounds. What a shame to see what was built being left to rot. In Disney speak it's a "bad show"! The guests should never see an unfinished product especially like this. I know I know some will say because of 9/11..... Still I think the way the property was left is a total shame. Do a search for Pop on the web and you'll find a video showing the property and buildings in the condition they are in. All of which is visable from the Classic years side of the resort.

Calypso

Post by Calypso » Feb Tue 26, 2008 8:57 am

I personally don't mind Disney waiting to revamp areas. If their goal is to quickly replace something just so its not so much an eyesore, we'll get some half-a@* attraction. When Disney is in a rush to capitalize on something, we usually get stuck with a less than stellar result.

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Feb Tue 26, 2008 9:30 am

cfd3rd wrote:Here's another example of a forgotten property.....Pop Century Legendary years. You want to talk about creepy and a sad state. We stayed at Pop in January and saw the abandoned buildings and grounds. What a shame to see what was built being left to rot. In Disney speak it's a "bad show"! The guests should never see an unfinished product especially like this. I know I know some will say because of 9/11..... Still I think the way the property was left is a total shame. Do a search for Pop on the web and you'll find a video showing the property and buildings in the condition they are in. All of which is visable from the Classic years side of the resort.
Nice one.. I forgot about the abandoned years resort... That really is an eyesore. Worse its been that way for years..just left to ruin the magical experience.

Captain Schnemo......

I do grumble about things I don't like, but I try to look past them so I can still enjoy most of the parks. I refused to punish myself for Disney's shortcomings. I just hope they would eventually look to the past, where Walt would not have stood for abandoned hotels, 1/2 full pavillions and degrading water parks.

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Feb Tue 26, 2008 10:53 am

rdeacon wrote:I refused to punish myself for Disney's shortcomings. I just hope they would eventually look to the past, where Walt would not have stood for abandoned hotels, 1/2 full pavillions and degrading water parks.
I totally understand where you're coming from, but you have to wonder why on earth they'd look to the past when the money is still rolling in faster than they can count it.

Again, I'm not judging anyone...just pointing out that it is highly unlikely that Disney will ever do what we'd like them to, simply because there's nothing in it for them. Walt was a real risk-taker but if your business is protecting a multi-billion dollar empire with stockholders demanding unreasonable returns every year, you're bound to get conservative (especially considering that Walt took the risks because he knew he had great ideas, and lately Disney has running quite low on those).

It's just that I've been reading Internet comments to the effect of "maybe they will see the light" for at least dozen years now, and in all that time, there's been no evidence that it might happen or that they would have anything to gain from it, even if it did.

People are happy enough with what they're getting, so that's what they're going to get.

miceman

Post by miceman » Feb Tue 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Captain Schnemo wrote:A thread full of grumbling and both you and Deacon are anxious to give them lots of money anyway.
Actually, not completely true.

I been down to Disney close to forty times total in my life, so I tend to give them a buck or two. Currently however, I'm just starting to go back.

I've been twice in the last two years. The previous five years before that, I decided it wasn't worth it and stayed away. Before that period, I'd go three times in one year if I had the time and finances.

Property problems were one thing and also lousy service from cast members day after day was another. It took some major reassuring from family who work at Disney that, yes, they know there have been problems and yes they were fixing them.

Somewhere along the line, someone must of been listening inbetween counting stacks of fifties. Probably several of mine. ;)

YZFDonor
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by YZFDonor » Feb Tue 26, 2008 12:32 pm

but you have to wonder why on earth they'd look to the past when the money is still rolling in faster than they can count it.
You apparently have different bean counters than Disney! THEY say the company is bankrupt already!! :)

jbvenn

Post by jbvenn » Feb Tue 26, 2008 9:29 pm

Captain Schnemo wrote:
miceman wrote:As far as the Treehouses, I can't wait to stay in them again!
And here's why they will never listen to us. A thread full of grumbling and both you and Deacon are anxious to give them lots of money anyway.

I don't really have a solution, as WDW is unique so there's really no free market option, other than boycott, which you guys have clearly demonstrated would never work. (If the hardest of the hardcore won't take action, the average guest is never even going to give it a second thought.)

Anyway, I don't mean to attack anyone's opinion or decisions, just making an observation.
This really hits home for me because it reflects a debate that has been going on in our household for several years: what to do about Disney. My SO has been disappointed for several years about issues like the one Rich writes about. Profit trumps quality, areas that used to be vital and interesting are allowed to lie dormant, etc.

One of us feels the only way to register our disapproval is to stop visiting WDW. One of us just can't muster the intestinal fortitude to say, "never again." Guess which one I am. :wink:
"Hey, you goldbricks, this ain't a spectator sport! Where do you think you are, Disney World?" -- General Knowledge

[img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/jbvenn/epcot2.gif[/img]
[img]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/jbvenn/port-orleans-2.gif[/img]

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Feb Tue 26, 2008 9:51 pm

I am positive that if there was a way to make River Country profitable again, Disney would jump at the opportunity.