New problem connecting to station using RealPlayer

Report Site and Station bugs here.

Moderator: Moderators

DisneyManInSeattle
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

New problem connecting to station using RealPlayer

Post by DisneyManInSeattle » May Fri 20, 2005 2:13 pm

For whatever reason in the past few days I'm starting to get an error from RealPlayer when I try to connect. The error states "Unsupported Document type". What is weird is that it is intermittent, but today I cannot connect at all.

Anyone know of problems?

-mark

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » May Fri 20, 2005 3:23 pm

I would say try contacting Real systems to find out why their player is intermittent like that. as far as I know, the stream plays a PLS file, so you need to have the player set up to allow PLS files. Also, could be that there's a problem with the servers. Sub may know a little more about it.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » May Sun 22, 2005 6:11 pm

I changed the link to the 64k playlist on the left navigation a week ago. I found out that where I was getting the infomation from was very slow and was causing the pages to be slow. That could be the problem. You can try clicking on the shoutcast link below the listen links and try from there.

Personally, I think Real is a bad player. It's bloated. Getting Winamp or iTunes should solve your issues.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Tue 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Maybe it is my RealPlayer as well, but I never had a problem with it until today, it keeps timing out and I get this message when trying to listen
This clip cannot be played.
It contains unexpected data and may be corrupt.
http://198.172.227.156:8000/

So it is my Real Player?
Thanks,
Claudia
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Tue 20, 2005 5:43 pm

that's the link to the 128k stream. as far as if it's your Real Player or not, I'd say to try and listen with something else (like winamp). If you're still getting problems, then it's probably something with the stream and not the player. If the other player works fine, then I'd say it's RP. I'd suggest switching to winamp (I'd suggest it anyways), as that's the one that seems to work the best, due to it being developed by the same people who host the streams. both Shoutcast (the system that hosts the streams) and winamp were developed by Nullsoft. And I'd swear by them any day...

Anyways, I'll see what I can find when I get home from work. stupid job won't let me listen from here...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Tue 20, 2005 6:06 pm

Thanks js3901, I will look into Winamp tomorrow.
I hate that you can't listen online at work, bummer :|
I would probably get more work done if I didn't listen, but there are days that I really need to listen to it, to take the stress of the day away :!:
Thanks again!

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Tue 20, 2005 8:12 pm

no problem. like I said, I'll try some stuff out when I get home (about 12:30am eastern). let me know what you find when you try your thing tomorrow.

As far as not being able to listen here, it's probably best, as I work at an in-bound call center with calls automatically routed to me (like everyone else). and the music would distract us too much from listening to the customers and their "problems". Plus, we just recently got hit with that worm that they were platsering all over the news a few weeks ago. The IT guys here aren't taking any more chances than they have to with the computers, and any chances they DO take are CLOSELY monitored.

oh well...

Site Admin, WDW Freak

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Tue 20, 2005 9:13 pm

Oh I remember my days of working for AOL in their call center......
I work for an IT company now so I know whatcha mean about the worms :evil: they make me so mad!!

I got that message on all the links to the audio playlists so I will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks again.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Wed 21, 2005 8:57 am

Ok, I might work for an IT company but I am not the technical one here, so I have to ask....... I downloaded Winamp now when I click the listen to it tells me access to this file is denied (temp. file) how can I fix it so that it will open the file so I can listen?? Thanks :)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Wed 21, 2005 10:56 am

When you click on the stream, does it prompt you with "open with"? If so, select Winamp.

Please try the 64k port as well. Maybe your work is blocking 8000 (the 128k stream)
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Wed 21, 2005 11:02 am

It did not ask me to Open With, and I think that might be the problem, because originally it opened with RP and never asked me, so I believe it was saved that way. How can I change it?
Thanks!

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Wed 21, 2005 12:58 pm

try this to see if it works:

open Winamp. once the player is up, right-click on the "Play" button. Select the option for "Open URL". In the space provided in the drop down box, copy/paste this: http://216.176.96.16:8004. In addition, you may want to check the preferences in the options menu and look under "File Types". Make sure the "pls" options is highlighted, and if it isn't, highlight it.

let me know if it works...

Site Admin, WDW Freak

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Sep Wed 21, 2005 1:42 pm

Yes that worked, that is what I did earlier, I was wondering if there was a way to make it to where I do not have to enter the URL each time. I had it that way with RP all I had to do was click on under station the listen-128K link and RP popped up and started playing SR. That is what I would like to be able to do with Winamp. But it is still trying to pull from my temp files. I removed RP off my computer, cause I don't need more than one on here :)

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Wed 21, 2005 3:09 pm

you shouldn't have to enter the url each time. If you have it set for allowing pls files in the preferences, it should play if you click the link. I'll check at home later about possible setting changes to make it the default player. beyond that, we'd have to rely on the experience of others or use Eagle4life69's standalone player...

we'll see. as for last night, I was unable to duplicate that problem on my computer, so it might have just been your player or settings.

Site Admin, WDW Freak

js3901

Post by js3901 » Sep Thu 22, 2005 1:19 am

Winamp should keep the url in there for you, ready to go. When you close the program, the last thing playing should be saved within the playlist. All you have to do is click play and it should start for you without a problem. If you do have problems, it's probably some kind of setting on the computer, not the player. Make sure that the IT team there didn't block the port needed due to some "security" concern like my job has...

Site Admin, WDW Freak