Report Site and Station bugs here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. G
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Connection problem with new laptop

Post by Dr. G » Jan Tue 10, 2006 9:22 pm

Hi all:

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I just got a new laptop at work and am unable to connect to Subsonic with it. Here's some background information.

The old laptop still connects if I plug the network cable into it (thankfully I can get a little bit of a Sub fix during the day by doing this). The old laptop would connect automatically using RealPlayer when I clicked the listen buttons.

On the new laptop, I've loaded Winamp (version 5.12), RealPlayer (version 10.5) and Windows Media Player (version 10) and none of them work for Subsonic.

I can connect to other Shoutcast stations using RealPlayer and Winamp (haven't tried WMP) from the Shoutcast website and it works just fine. However, on any of the Subsonic stations I get a time out error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by eagle4life69 » Jan Tue 10, 2006 10:53 pm

what version of windows. Try to use our player see if that helps. no real reason it wouldn't work

Dr. G

Post by Dr. G » Jan Wed 11, 2006 9:12 am

I'm on Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 2.

I'll try the SR Player and let you know. Thanks for the response.

Dr. G

Post by Dr. G » Jan Wed 11, 2006 9:22 am

Am I supposed to click the links in your signature? The SR Player link takes me here:

http://www.arhynes.org/stream/player/in ... yer=128sig

where the screen is completely blank. The Subsonic IE Player brings up a player. When I click the play button, it says "Opening Media", pauses for a bit, then says "Ready" but no sound. If I click play again, it does the same thing again.

I've turned off the popup blocker. Any ideas?

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Wed 11, 2006 12:17 pm

Dr. G

Which link are you trying to click on? The ones from the left of this site or shoutcast.com's

I'd try both. They contain different header information that might work differently.

Also, do you get any error messages?

This is a very strange issue.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Dr. G

Post by Dr. G » Jan Wed 11, 2006 3:15 pm

I've tried both the links on the left of the page and the shoutcast links by searching for "subsonic". Neither work. I can, however, listen to other stations at shoutcast (I picked the top one on the list and it came up just fine in Winamp).

I get a message in winamp "timed out"

Weird, eh?

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Jan Wed 11, 2006 3:26 pm

your being blocked for some reason. you've tried all the streams? ummmmmmmmmm you can try the Subsonic Player again it works now. (forgot a second = when coding sorry)

Dr. G

Post by Dr. G » Jan Thu 12, 2006 10:02 am

I tried both players and neither work. The Subsonic IE Player says "Connecting to Media" for awhile then it just says "Ready". If I click play, it goes through the same cycle again. The SR Player doesn't do anything when I click the buttons either.

Thanks to all for trying to help. It's so odd because the old laptop works just fine--it's still sitting here next to the new laptop so I can just move the network cable between the machines if I need a fix (and don't need access to the work network on the new laptop). It's got to be a setting somewhere within the new laptop, since the connection information has to all be the same.

Unless someone has any other ideas, I'll just work on it from my end. Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Eventually I'll need to give up the old laptop to another staff member so if I can't figure it out soon, I guess I'll be done at Subsonic :( . Here's hoping I can find the problem!

Have a great day!

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jan Thu 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Do you have Real Player on the Laptop? Thats what I use for the stations I listen too.

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Jan Thu 12, 2006 11:07 pm

what it sounds like to me is a connection issue with the laptop. you say work Laptop is it used at work? are you able to listen to SR on any other pc at work? My work has blocked the connection so I get the same message as you. they could have blocked the IP. the Port anything. check that.

Dr. G

Post by Dr. G » Jan Fri 13, 2006 2:14 am

Dr. R: Thanks for the concern. I do have Realplayer and it works just great on the laptop if I try to listen to other stations at shoutcast.com. This is the weirdest thing.

Eagle4life69: I can take the network cable out of the back of the new laptop, plug it into the old laptop, and listen to SR just fine on the old one at work. So, it's the same cable, same LAN, same everything I think except the laptop. Would the ports be on the new laptop or would they be on our server somewhere?

Would the Windows Firewall affect anything? I looked on both laptops and they both appear to have the same settings on the firewall. I've even gone through all the Internet Settings for Explorer on both laptops and made sure all options/settings are exactly the same.

So, do you think I'm desperate to get SR at work? :wink: I've got to give up the old laptop soon and then I'll be no-go at work.

I really appreciate all the suggestions--it's nice to have people who don't even know me try to help out. Give yourselves a pat on the back. :D

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jan Mon 16, 2006 1:14 pm

Are you still having the problem? It appears a lot of people are having connection issues since we did some configuration changes that I'm trying to remove.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Jan Mon 16, 2006 3:11 pm

the change is removed sorry. Now if this doesn't fix it we'll need to take a look at what is the actual problem is. :?

Dr. G

Post by Dr. G » Jan Mon 16, 2006 3:51 pm

I'm still having problems with the new laptop. I just tried with RealPlayer & Winamp. Same problems. I was able to listen this morning on the old laptop just fine.

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Jan Mon 16, 2006 6:01 pm

it has to be on that new laptop. something in the windows firewall or maybe an system admin issue. its running xp pro you said so it has to be that laptop. don't know unless I see it. Sorry :cry: