Al goes to the Philippines (and tries to get back home!)

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Al goes to the Philippines (and tries to get back home!)

Post by Alacrity » Mar Wed 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Not a Disney related trip but an adventure none the less! Just a run down of the "adventure" of getting to and from the Philippines.

A link to the pics: http://dbeedle.com/Photos/Phil-Feb2014/index.html

As a scuba diver, I, and happily, my wife, think I need to go diving every once and a while. And we think that every once in a while it should be a "big" trip to somewhere sandy, salty and warm. This time it was to the Philippines and the PADI Ocean Safari. PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors), for non-divers, is one of the scuba certifying agencies which train and certify folks for scuba diving. They also put together some events a couple times a year and the Ocean Safari - Philippines was one of those events. The package included transportation from Manila, the hotel, food and diving for the week. I and a group of 11 others from the local dive shop signed up and the planning began!

Not much to plan really, it was a package deal after all, but we did have to get to Manila. We worked with PADI Travel (PADI does some travel agency work) to book tickets from LAX to Manila and we had to get to LA by our own efforts. We didn't know it yet but this would cause problems later on. Important travel tip: book all your travel from point A to point B on the same carrier. In our case we we're booked on Philippines Air to Manila and on another regional carrier, Cebu Pacific, from Manila to Dumeguete CIty our final destination. I had points on American Air and was able to book a flight to LA, no problem. Another travel tip, we were booked on a group ticket LA to Manila and this causes confusion with the airlines. Individual tickets are easier to deal with.

American did just fine! It didn't hurt that I used my points to book in first class either. I could get spoiled by that. Too bad it costs so much! Me and my travel buddy (Bob) back in coach made it to LA in good time with only one issue, one of Bob's bags stayed in Chicago. American promised to send it along later. At least he had the bag containing the important stuff, scuba gear! A couple T-shirts can go a long way as a wardrobe on a scuba trip after all! Anyway, we we're in LA 6 1/2 hours before our Manila flight so we had the time to collect our bags, deal with filing the bag claim, walk over to the international terminal (next door), check in for our flight and grab some food.

Then the trouble started. The flight was delayed. They say the flight coming in was delayed and I suspect it was the crew that was delayed as I'm pretty certain the 747 sitting outside the window was there when we wandered up. I could be wrong but it's hard to hide a 747. Anyway, we left LA an hour or so late and then, strike 2, we were diverted to Guam for fuel. Another hour or so delay. In the end we arrived in Manila around 3 hours late.

We did have some time planned in Manila, 4 hours, which would usually be enough time to get though immigration/customs and recheck on the domestic flight in another terminal. The Manila airport, by the way, has 3 or 4 terminals that are spread over a pretty wide area. It's a 15-20 minute cab/bus ride to any other terminal on a good day...and we were not having a good day! So, after getting our bags and doing the immigration/customs thing we had no flight to get to, it had left. This is where we learn about the level of cooperation between the airlines of the Philippines: there is none. In the US there seems to be a certain level of cooperation between the airlines, here, the two that we we were dealing with are in direct competition. Again, had we booked one airline all the way though it would have been easier but such was not the case. As far as Cebu was concerned we we're simply no-shows so, too bad. So, getting over to the domestic terminal was OK and our local contacts went to work to get us on a flight to Dumeguete some how. Philippines Air, no help, just a sorry we were late but not out problem. Cebu, no help, though they were happy to sell us another ticket on an upcoming flight. In the end that is what we had to do. Kudos to PADI Travel and the resort (Atlantis Dive Resort); they got together and helped to defray the cost of the tickers getting it down to 50 some odd bucks. Still, if we had been on the one airline it would have been the airlines problem. As it was they got to point fingers at one another. Next time, fly the same airline all the way. At least as much as possible.

Finally arriving in Dumeguete, we make our way to the Resort several hours late but in time for the opening festivities. Atlantis Dive Resort was great! Nice rooms, attentive staff, good food, WiFi and all the stuff a diver needs. All of the staff knew all of our names after the first night (no idea how they do that) and once we put our gear together the first time we didn't have to fiddle with it again until it was time to collect it for packing. And the diving was great! I'll have a link to all the pics coming up. In all, a great place and I would recommend it...if you can get there. Oh and Bob's bag of cloths showed up about day 4. Better late than never.

The week went quickly and after Apo Island and Cebu Island to snorkel with whale sharks, it was time to go. We got our rides to the Dumeguete airport and got all checked in and waited for the flight. And waited. And waited. Seems that late flights are pretty much the norm in the Philippines. As we were waiting for our flight a storm rolled in. High winds, lots of rain, short runway and a plane that, after trying several times, couldn't land and diverted to Cebu City. Rather than come back later, the flight was canceled and we're kinda stuck in Dumeguete. This time Cebu is a little more cooperative and they can get us on flights out of Cebu City tomorrow afternoon...in Cebu City...a 6 hour trip away. We also get a special letter from them explaining the situation. This is to help with Philippines Air later on. Fortunately Atlantis is able to offer us a bed at a special rate, a good chunk of their incoming customers were on the plane that couldn't land and is now in Cebu City! So, back to the resort fro some sleep and up early to make the trek via bus, car ferry, van and car to Cebu City. That flight we make and we find ourselves in Manila. One step home down.

But the next step is a tough one. Since we missed the initial flight out of Dumeguete all our other flights have been missed. We've been on the phone and IMing back home to get domestic flights taken care of. We get re-booking codes for most of them and two of us have booked on points. Re-booking codes only indicate that we've followed the rules in letting the airlines know in good time that we have to cancel a flight and there is a possibility of getting re-booked for a fee. Atlantis talks to Philippines Air for us. In Manila, Philippines Air is more understanding since it was weather that caused our flight cancellation and missing out flight to LA. More understanding but that is about it. They do let us sign up to fly standby on the flight to LA but it is sold out. As the time gets nearer for the flight all the folks check in so we have no seats. In fact the flight to LA is sold out the next several nights and it is unlikely that we will get on those flights. At this point we decide to punt. So, after two days work of travel we all hop online and buy new tickets on a different airline (thanks Delta). Given what we would spend on hotels and food for the chance to get home we elect to book a certainty. At least far more certain that flying stand-by on sold out flights. Important travel tip two: buy trip insurance! Some of our group had trip insurance that covers the flights. Me, I'm out $750 for a Delta flight back to LA. But hey, I got to go to Japan for the first time! And I get all those miles! And I get to go home! I elected to skip the trip insurance for this trip. Shame on me. A few of the others were out quite a lot more.

So, now it's 10:30pm in Manila and the flight home is at 7:30am. The terminal we need opens at 4am. So, rather than try to find a hotel for a few hours late at night in Manila, we stay put in the International terminal at the airport (open 7x24). The security guards agree that it's safer here then some other places and there's food! The floor is pretty hard but we get some little bit of sleep. In the morning (3am) we make out way to the next terminal and get in line! The line is out the door already. Seems you spend lots of time in lines in airports in the Philippines. Oh, and back home, calls, texts and emails to our help back there have gotten us re-booked on out domestic flights. Travel tip 3: booking on points is nice! My ticket on points in re-booked no problem. I loose the first class seat home but I'm willing to take that. I just wanna go home. Remember the re-booking codes? They will re-book at a special rate. Unfortunately, in this case, the special rate is higher than buying a new ticket. Note to self again, book on points or buy the travel insurance next time! My travel buddy Bob has insurance and will get his $450 back from American.

Over all, minus the air travel, the trip was great. Nice resort with great folks. Air travel was an adventure that I could have done without but these things happen sometimes.

Still working on getting the pics and video shorted out but have most uploaded: http://dbeedle.com/Photos/Phil-Feb2014/index.html Mostly underwater stuff. I didn't take many shots of the travel was a little busy being frazzled! :mickey:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Al goes to the Philippines (and tries to get back home!)

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Wow ~ what an ordeal! That is great that you managed to work it all out and didn't lose too much money or time in the process though. Travel insurance on a big trip is always worth it...generally such a low price to pay just in case of something just like this scenario. It helps with lost luggage too ~ Bob could have had some nice Philippine clothing :lol:
Off to look at some pretty fishies and other underwater scenes now ~ thanks for taking the time to share :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 05, 2014 9:55 pm

So many beautiful photos! And the videos are great too!
Loved the puffer fish and the pretty white starfish. And what was "That stuff"?? The grasping hands coral stuff ~ that was beautiful!!
Were the yellow things with the blue spots little squids? The flounder is such an interesting (and tasty) fish...
Those frog fish were freaky looking little guys :shock:
Looks like the user fee for the restroom was pretty reasonable. Were the facilities fairly clean since it was a pay to use sort of thing? And how do they know you aren't paying the cheaper price but aren't using the facilities for the higher priced use? Honor system?
How deep were the dives?
I have a friend from high school that has been living in the Philippines for about 10 years. She and her husband and girls are missionaries in Baguio City ~ any idea if that is anywhere near where you were? From her pictures it looks like they are more inland.

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Mar Thu 06, 2014 10:54 am

Amy wrote:So many beautiful photos! And the videos are great too!
Loved the puffer fish and the pretty white starfish. And what was "That stuff"?? The grasping hands coral stuff ~ that was beautiful!!
Were the yellow things with the blue spots little squids? The flounder is such an interesting (and tasty) fish...
Those frog fish were freaky looking little guys :shock:
Looks like the user fee for the restroom was pretty reasonable. Were the facilities fairly clean since it was a pay to use sort of thing? And how do they know you aren't paying the cheaper price but aren't using the facilities for the higher priced use? Honor system?
How deep were the dives?
I have a friend from high school that has been living in the Philippines for about 10 years. She and her husband and girls are missionaries in Baguio City ~ any idea if that is anywhere near where you were? From her pictures it looks like they are more inland.

Thanks! Got a few more to upload. Another day of diving and snorkeling with whale sharks. Hope to get them done by sometime next week then put together a trip video.

"That stuff" (I couldn't remember want the dive master called it), I think is Xenia soft corals, or a Pulse coral. Family Xeniidae. I was kinda intrigued by their movement and took a few videos of the stuff doing their thing! The small multi-legged thing, yellowish with blue spots is a Blue Ringed octopus. One of the most poisonous creatures going. The have a neuro-toxin that is pretty formidable. Also fairly rare. And the frogfish, they ranged in size from finger nail sized to the huge guys in the video. I didn't see the black one to start until it moved! Dives were a max of 70'. Average of 40-60 feet. My log can be found online by the way if you want to take a look: http://dbeedle.com/DiveLog.html . Click the "13" under February 2014. That will get to the dive details.

I didn't use that particular rest room but was amused by the sign! The facilities we did use we clean and reasonably maintained though they didn't have paper towels or, usually, TP. They were also no charge, maybe the extras were for sale or something. I think it's honor system in the pictured case.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Thu 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Next time you "WILL" get the insurance??
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Thu 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks for sharing the photos, they are stunning! Some of those creatures have amazing camouflage. Glad your flights eventually all worked out.

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Mar Fri 07, 2014 8:57 am

Jacca5660 wrote:Next time you "WILL" get the insurance??
Yup. I have for the "big" trips in the past but never had to use it. Figured I wouldn't need it this time. Wrong answer! :?

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Fri 07, 2014 9:54 am

Alacrity wrote:
Yup. I have for the "big" trips in the past but never had to use it. Figured I wouldn't need it this time. Wrong answer! :?
I've heard that the diving is wonderful in the Philippines, but it sounds like you went through hell. You should have named your trip through hell and back!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Fri 07, 2014 11:44 am

Alacrity wrote:
Ya never think you're going to need insurance until you need it. Or something like that. :D

Glad you made it through relatively unscathed! I bet the trip was amazing in spite of the travel woes.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Apr Tue 29, 2014 9:42 am

Finally got a highlights video of the trip together!

http://www.dbeedle.com/Photos/Phil-Feb2 ... lights.mp4