Mackinac Island Trip Report 9/9-9/13

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Mackinac Island Trip Report 9/9-9/13

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Wed 18, 2013 10:51 pm

mindflipper wrote:Holy Kodachrome, B-babe, that was a great trip report! :shock: The photos are excellent! You're not quite the photog novice you lead us to believe you are! :D
:lol: Thank you mindflipper! I still have much to learn, but it's starting to make sense to me now!!! We really did have a great trip! Thanks again!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 19, 2013 7:30 am

boilerbabe wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Glad you had a fabulous time at Mackinac Island!

Horses are brighter creatures than most people give them credit. If B-dude's horse sensed he was uncomfortable and didn't want to be there, maybe he was trying to find a way to help B-dude not be there and be more comfortable on the ground! ;-)

I've never had success with posting videos either. Maybe upload it to YOUTUBE as private, and then cut/paste the link into your trip report??
Thanks mindflipper! And yes, horses are extremely intelligent! I think Dusty was testing bdude to see what he could get away with, by running him into branches and would stop every now and then for no reason, lol. I thought it was funny! But overall, bdude did great!

We didn't have much luck with the video, maybe I will try your idea with youtube! Thanks! Pics and report to come today!
Good point mindflipper :lol:
Yeah, that's one reason that I am not so excited about riding horses. They are really high off the ground, and they have minds of their own. I definitely wouldn't trust one named Dusty ~ sounds like they like to roll around in the dirt :shock: ;)
I uploaded a few videos to facebook for someone that attended the same workshop as me. I imagine that you could share a video link from there the same as sharing photos...it took forever to load, but it was going to take the same time to upload to youtube, so maybe I am missing something in how you are supposed to upload videos quicker :?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 19, 2013 7:50 am

Beautiful photos b-babe! The last picture of the butterfly with his little rolled up proboscis is amazing!! That is a sweet photo of your parents by the church :D
I was thinking b-dude looked pretty comfy on Dusty in the first picture, then I scrolled down and saw the second picture and about fell off my chair laughing :lol: The look on the horse's face is too funny ~ and b-dude looks like he is definitely in whoa-horsey mode! :lol: Did you notice the hidden mickeys on Dusty?
That was funny about your horse knowing it was on the wrong path too, they really are smart :D
It looks like the island was fairly deserted. Did you run into very many people? I'm sure it slows down quite a lot after the big Labor Day weekend but I figured there would be a few folks out and about.

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Thu 19, 2013 7:55 am

On the main streets there were a scattering of people here and there but nothing resembling a crowd. The trails were empty and the island is pretty much empty for the most part. And Dust would try an eat every 5 minutes :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 19, 2013 8:10 am

Boilerdude wrote:On the main streets there were a scattering of people here and there but nothing resembling a crowd. The trails were empty and the island is pretty much empty for the most part. And Dust would try an eat every 5 minutes :)
I laugh, but I wouldn't have fared any better on a horse :oops:

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Thu 19, 2013 9:39 am

You would have done great. I was being a poop before and trying to get out of it :lol:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Thu 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Boilerdude wrote:You would have done great. I was being a poop before and trying to get out of it :lol:
And aren't you glad you tried it?!?!

I still can't post the video to youtube either. :evil:

Amy, I didn't notice the hidden Mickey's on Dusty, OMG! I will go back and check! Bdude did find hidden Mickey's in the carpet at Grand Hotel, the carpet that lead up the stairs to the Cupola Bar were stars and he spotted Mickey Ears! The pic. didn't turn out though.

*Just checked Dusty and YES, there is in fact a Hidden Mickey on him!!!!* Good sighting Amy!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 19, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks ~ I look for/see Disney just about everywhere, but that was pretty clear on the horsie :mickey:
Are you on FB? I have successfully uploaded a video there ~ it took awhile (the video was about 6 minutes) but then I believe you could share it from there.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Thu 19, 2013 2:43 pm

No, I don't FB. From what bdude is saying, my video would need to be converted into a different format and it seems to be a pain in ... which makes me sad b/c I'd like to share my video with you guys. I think it turned out pretty neat! *sigh*

Don't know how to convert the file to AV1, that seems to be the issue.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Thu 19, 2013 11:34 pm

From my past experience with FB, you want be able to upload there either. I uploaded some small videos with music one time. Only three got uploaded, not the fourth. They sent me a message the fourth was rejected because it had copyrighted music. The other three probably did too, but it was somehow music that they did not recognize. FB does check those things out.

As for your video file problems: Boilerbabe, you got a techno-geek living under your roof - put him to work! This is a job for Boilerdude! (insert superman theme music here) :wink: :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Thu 19, 2013 11:37 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Holy Kodachrome, B-babe, that was a great trip report! :shock: The photos are excellent! You're not quite the photog novice you lead us to believe you are! :D
:lol: Thank you mindflipper! I still have much to learn, but it's starting to make sense to me now!!! We really did have a great trip! Thanks again!
You're making me feel insecure about finishing my trip report this weekend because my photos are not the quality of yours... :oops:

Boilerdude

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Fri 20, 2013 7:26 am

mindflipper wrote:As for your video file problems: Boilerbabe, you got a techno-geek living under your roof - put him to work! This is a job for Boilerdude! (insert superman theme music here) :wink: :lol:
Nice, it was too late in the evening and I shut my brain off for the night :lol:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Fri 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Bdude is lying here, he says he doesn't really know how to convert it and hasn't bothered to figure it out! I just busted out my Sweetie! :shock: Mindflipper just b/c I have my own tech support doesn't mean I always get the help I need!!! :lol: Maybe if you shame him, he will figure this out!?

No need to feel insecure mindflipper! I have enjoyed your pictures thus far and I have much to learn in the world of photography! :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 20, 2013 7:46 pm

boilerbabe wrote:Bdude is lying here, he says he doesn't really know how to convert it and hasn't bothered to figure it out! I just busted out my Sweetie! :shock: Mindflipper just b/c I have my own tech support doesn't mean I always get the help I need!!! :lol: Maybe if you shame him, he will figure this out!?

No need to feel insecure mindflipper! I have enjoyed your pictures thus far and I have much to learn in the world of photography! :wink:
You know what they say about the shoemakers' kids...
My brother is an engineer and my sister-in-law says he never helps her out when her computer is acting up :( We luck out in my house, Mom is pretty good with the hardware and I can get just about any software up and running. Some things are just tricky because you don't have to do them very often so it doesn't become routine. Hang in there b-babe ~ you'll get that video figured out one of these days!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Fri 20, 2013 9:17 pm

:lol: I've putzed around with it but no luck! I will just have to keep bugging bdude!

Bdude did convert the file last night, but it's too large, over 1GB. He is saying any site you upload too ie. flicker, photobucket, youtube, only allows 1GB. Anyone got any other ideas?!