Camera Discussion

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Camera Discussion

Post by Len90 » Mar Wed 27, 2013 8:03 pm

So the 6D FINALLY came today after what felt like an eternity of a week. I will say that immediately there is a HUGE difference going from a crop sensor to a full frame. My 24-105 is now an ultimate walk around sine it is now a true 24-105. However, the extra zoom I will miss from my 70-200 lens, especially at sports games where I was at full zoom and benefited a lot from the crop sensor.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 27, 2013 9:36 pm

OH! After reading here I found a sports mode on my camera that is like a steady cam function.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Thu 28, 2013 9:00 am

Jacca5660 wrote:OH! After reading here I found a sports mode on my camera that is like a steady cam function.
That sports mode is a godsend. Works at campfires, too. :)

I'm anxious to get out and shoot, but I'm pretty busy with work lately. sigh Maybe in a couple of weeks.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Thu 28, 2013 9:17 am

Isn't a sports mode pretty much a higher ISO, fully open aperture, and a faster shutter?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 28, 2013 11:33 am

Len90 wrote:Isn't a sports mode pretty much a higher ISO, fully open aperture, and a faster shutter?
That's the way it is on my outdated digital camera. I had seen some that have advertised anti-shake/steady features to their cameras. Wouldn't be bad in sports mode.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Thu 28, 2013 1:08 pm

Len90 wrote:Isn't a sports mode pretty much a higher ISO, fully open aperture, and a faster shutter?
Maybe. But mine also allows me to shoot multiple frames in rapid succession by holding the button down, rather than just one at a time, without having to manually change that setting. In short, dialing over to sports mode is faster than changing ISO, aperture, shutter, and exposure mode.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Sat 30, 2013 11:57 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Maybe. But mine also allows me to shoot multiple frames in rapid succession by holding the button down, rather than just one at a time, without having to manually change that setting. In short, dialing over to sports mode is faster than changing ISO, aperture, shutter, and exposure mode.
Oh but I always keep my SLR set to burst. I always want to be able to hold down the button and keep taking pictures. It can always come in handy. However, changing modes takes all the fun out of guessing and testing :D
- Len90

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Thu 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Kind of hate having a double post, but after a week with the 6D I have some interesting findings. I took the camera to the NY Auto show. Since I wasn't really fully familiar with it I left it in auto, but did play around a bit with using my Speedlite (no built in flash on the 6D). The results were great and I'll try and post a quick sample picture in the next day or so.

The issue I have now with a full frame is that I lost the magnification of a crop sensor and it does affect me. The 70-200 used to be a 105-300 (rough estimate) which means at full zoom I lost 1/3. My quick fix for compensating is to get a 1.4 extender. It would make the lens about a 100-280 thus recovering my loss but raising it from a fixed f4 to a fixed f5.6 and with a decrease in focusing speeds. Anyone else ever try extenders and have great results? I'm hoping to maintain sharpness and have no quality loss. The immediate need for this is for Kilimanjaro Safari where that lens was perfect for me on a crop sensor.
- Len90

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Apr Thu 18, 2013 4:50 pm

I need a new Camera for my trip to WDW. I always had a Point-and-shoot camera but now I want to buy a DSLR camera.

At the moment they are selling the Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i for a very good price of 460€ with an 18-55 DC lens or for 529 € with an 18-55mm IS II lens.

I am not an expert but is this camera a good choice and what are the differences between those two lenses?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Thu 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Epcotmaniac wrote:I need a new Camera for my trip to WDW. I always had a Point-and-shoot camera but now I want to buy a DSLR camera.

At the moment they are selling the Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i for a very good price of 460€ with an 18-55 DC lens or for 529 € with an 18-55mm IS II lens.

I am not an expert but is this camera a good choice and what are the differences between those two lenses?
Send a PM to Len90. Here's our resident camera expert.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Thu 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Epcotmaniac wrote:I need a new Camera for my trip to WDW. I always had a Point-and-shoot camera but now I want to buy a DSLR camera.

First off, love to hear another person making the switch from a point and shoot to a DSLR. Before even making your way towards a camera I would think which brand do I want. With DSLRs the most important aspect is the lens you are using. Each manufacturer has their own mount so Canon lenses are only good on Canon bodies and Nikon lenses are only good for Nikon bodies. Your lenses will outlive the body so you want to plan for the future with that. I personally am a huge Canon fan as I think their L series lenses are the best on the market. Of course that is just my opinion and others can argue that Nikon is better.

I personally would probably avoid the T3i since it is an older model that was replaced by the 650D. The 650D has a lot of Canon's more recent technology like UHS-1 compatibility and the Digic 5 chip. The UHS-1 allows for faster card transfer rates (with compatible card) and the Digic 5 allows more frames per second. The 650D however is slated to be discontinued soon as the 700D was announced recently. With that said I still would get a 650D but not a 600D at this time.

As for the lenses, the difference between those lenses is the "IS" which stands for image stabilization. IS is an important facet for taking pictures with motion or when trying to get a picture in low light with a slower shutter speed and no flash. (As mentioned earlier, don't use IS if using a tripod). The other lens is just a DC which refers to the focus motor. The IS lens is the better lens to start out with. Keep in mind that it is a common "kit" lens so you will definitely want to think about other lenses. The 18-55 can serve well as a walk around lens and take care of wide angle stuff. However, you probably will need to get a telephoto zoom as well. Some options to consider for that are the EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 70-300 IS USM, or the EF 70-200 f4L.

So in short, definitely make the switch to a DSLR since the image quality is a lot better. I personally would look into the 650D over the 600D. Once you do decide on your camera also look for a telephoto lens to complement that 18-55. You'll have instances where the zoom will be important.
- Len90

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Apr Fri 19, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks for the explanations.

My brother has a Canon 550D and 650D and various lenses which I can borrow. I have a lot of overtime at work this months so I think I wait and buy a 650D.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Apr Fri 19, 2013 9:36 am

<fx: pokes head into thread>

So with my Tokyo trip coming up somewhat soon (18 days, to be precise!), I decided it was a good idea to take a look at my camera situation.

Since 2009 I've been using a Canon Digital Ixus 110IS (branded as the PowerShot SD960 in the US), which has been a fantastic little compact camera and has served well (and will continue to, I'm sure).

I've been thinking of getting my first DSLR for a while now, and I decided that now's a good time. I spent a while reading up various reviews, seeing what was available at what price (I set myself the rough upper-limit of £400 or so) and what offers/deals were around. In the end, I went for the Nikon D3200 (with the standard 18-55mm kit lens), which seemed to get very good reviews/recommendations from various sites, and was in my price range.

It arrived today, and now I've got a lot of learning to do in the next two-and-a-half weeks :lol:

I've only had a quick play so far. In the meantime, here's a quick test shot out of the office window.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 19, 2013 6:54 pm

acp wrote:<fx: pokes head into thread>

So with my Tokyo trip coming up somewhat soon (18 days, to be precise!), I decided it was a good idea to take a look at my camera situation.

Since 2009 I've been using a Canon Digital Ixus 110IS (branded as the PowerShot SD960 in the US), which has been a fantastic little compact camera and has served well (and will continue to, I'm sure).

I've been thinking of getting my first DSLR for a while now, and I decided that now's a good time. I spent a while reading up various reviews, seeing what was available at what price (I set myself the rough upper-limit of £400 or so) and what offers/deals were around. In the end, I went for the Nikon D3200 (with the standard 18-55mm kit lens), which seemed to get very good reviews/recommendations from various sites, and was in my price range.

It arrived today, and now I've got a lot of learning to do in the next two-and-a-half weeks :lol:

I've only had a quick play so far. In the meantime, here's a quick test shot out of the office window.
Looks pretty good so far acp. I would suggest taking your old camera with you as well. Never hurts to have a back-up!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Fri 19, 2013 11:35 pm

acp: I've heard a lot of good about the D3200, but never touched it being a loyal Canon person. As I recommended to Epcotmaniac, you should think about getting an additional lens to supplement the 18-55.
Epcotmaniac wrote:Thanks for the explanations.

My brother has a Canon 550D and 650D and various lenses which I can borrow. I have a lot of overtime at work this months so I think I wait and buy a 650D.
Good call. I personally would advise playing with your brother's equipment so you can gain a little familiarity and ensure that it is the right camera for you.
- Len90