Camera Discussion

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Camera Discussion

Post by Len90 » Feb Fri 22, 2013 8:33 pm

CY have you tried moving to keep up with the motion? You might be able to pull off a really cool effect with that. Lock on with the focus and match the movement of the swimmer. I've tried it on a speeding ambulance with just my point and shoot and it looks like something that can work pretty well.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Feb Sun 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Len90 wrote:CY have you tried moving to keep up with the motion? You might be able to pull off a really cool effect with that. Lock on with the focus and match the movement of the swimmer. I've tried it on a speeding ambulance with just my point and shoot and it looks like something that can work pretty well.
That's what I always shoot for.

Haha shoot for

It works when I'm on a second-floor viewing area, but is really hard when the kids are swimming right toward me.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Sun 17, 2013 7:37 pm

So after coming back from San Francisco and looking at a couple of pictures, I went ahead and returned the 7D. Was getting too much noise on full size pictures with ISO 100 along with some back focusing. I do know from reading up on it those are issues people have had and I just didn't want that headache. Looks like a 6D is going to be the next choice for me.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Len90 wrote:So after coming back from San Francisco and looking at a couple of pictures, I went ahead and returned the 7D. Was getting too much noise on full size pictures with ISO 100 along with some back focusing. I do know from reading up on it those are issues people have had and I just didn't want that headache. Looks like a 6D is going to be the next choice for me.
Is the 6D an older model or a newer model?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Sun 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Amy wrote:
Len90 wrote:So after coming back from San Francisco and looking at a couple of pictures, I went ahead and returned the 7D. Was getting too much noise on full size pictures with ISO 100 along with some back focusing. I do know from reading up on it those are issues people have had and I just didn't want that headache. Looks like a 6D is going to be the next choice for me.
6D is actually a newer model. The 7D is a cropped sensor while the 6D is a full frame. The model numbering with Canon is pretty weird.
- Len90

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 18, 2013 7:27 am

Len90 wrote:
Amy wrote:
6D is actually a newer model. The 7D is a cropped sensor while the 6D is a full frame. The model numbering with Canon is pretty weird.
I was thinking it was the newer model, but as you said, Canon's numbering system is weird so I wasn't sure. Hope the newer camera works out better for you!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 12:32 am

Real test for the camera will be on a trip when it is being fully utilized. That might be sooner rather than later.

One more question I will bring up: Filters on lenses? I used to be a huge fan of putting a UV protection filter on to protect the outter glass from scratches, debris, dust, etc. However, I noticed on my nighttime shots they lead to a lot of reflections and flares in the pictures. My new thinking right now is to go without filters and just always use the lens hoods to provide some protection.
- Len90

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 8:00 am

Len90 wrote:Real test for the camera will be on a trip when it is being fully utilized. That might be sooner rather than later.

One more question I will bring up: Filters on lenses? I used to be a huge fan of putting a UV protection filter on to protect the outter glass from scratches, debris, dust, etc. However, I noticed on my nighttime shots they lead to a lot of reflections and flares in the pictures. My new thinking right now is to go without filters and just always use the lens hoods to provide some protection.
Any additional pieces of glass will add some distortion to the image. This used to be a serious issue when 35mm was the standard format for most people except art photographers, but now, with digital sensors becoming more and more advanced I'm not sure it's as much of an issue especially with computer adjustments. However, if you are properly caring for your camera lenses, that extra measure of protection is largely unnecessary unless you're backpacking, rock climbing, and capturing images all at once.

My standard filter is a circular polarizer or my Moose's filter (combination polarizing and warming filter). I've also been known to pop a ND filter on once in awhile, but not that often.

What do you anticipate such that lens protection is necessary? If you always wrap your strap around your neck or wrist, dropping the camera becomes virtually nonexistent, and if you put the lens cap back on when you're not using your camera (such as walking from here to there) you'll protect it that way, too.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Len90 wrote:Real test for the camera will be on a trip when it is being fully utilized. That might be sooner rather than later.

Keep the UV filter on the lens and a suitable hood for the daytime. It shouldn't get flare unless the sun gets a direct line to your lens.
When taking night time shots (or in dark places anyway) ditch the filter. Light can go through the filter, reflect off the lens, reflect back of the inside of the filter and go back into the lens giving ghost images and strange eerie lights. (I have some examples somewhere. I learned through trial and error :)...and error....and error :lol: )
Also if taking shots using a tripod, or leaning on a solid surface, remember to switch off the auto stab on your canon. It is all to do with the way the autostab works, just trust me on this....more trial and error on my part.

I expect to see some jaw dropping pictures fairy soon.
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 7:36 pm

...autostab?

Sounds like something needed when queuing up behind a Brasilian tour group. :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:...When taking night time shots (or in dark places anyway) ditch the filter. Light can go through the filter, reflect off the lens, reflect back of the inside of the filter and go back into the lens giving ghost images and strange eerie lights. (I have some examples somewhere. I learned through trial and error :)...and error....and error :lol: ) .....
Ghosts images and eerie lights actually sound pretty cool if you are trying to produce some fun pictures! But not on everyday photos though :(
cy1229 wrote:...autostab?

Sounds like something needed when queuing up behind a Brasilian tour group. :D
I'm curious what an autostab setting is too!! :shock: I only have Sonys and I'm pretty sure they are the most peaceful of the cameras as they don't have that feature ;)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Wed 20, 2013 1:25 am

Joe90 wrote: Keep the UV filter on the lens and a suitable hood for the daytime. It shouldn't get flare unless the sun gets a direct line to your lens.
When taking night time shots (or in dark places anyway) ditch the filter. Light can go through the filter, reflect off the lens, reflect back of the inside of the filter and go back into the lens giving ghost images and strange eerie lights. (I have some examples somewhere. I learned through trial and error :)...and error....and error :lol: )
Also if taking shots using a tripod, or leaning on a solid surface, remember to switch off the auto stab on your canon. It is all to do with the way the autostab works, just trust me on this....more trial and error on my part.

I expect to see some jaw dropping pictures fairy soon.
I would keep the UV filter on during the day, but it just got too annoying having to take it on and off in San Fran whenever I would change my shooting direction and for the nighttime. I am aware of the IS and a tripod with Canon lenses. I've learned that one too the hard way :D

Amy: Canon's lenses have a feature called Image Stabilization (IS) where the lens has sensors and gyro motors that correct for motion when someone is taking a picture. It allows for sharper and less blurry pictures. When on a tripod, there is no movement but the lens is still trying to correct for movement. If shooting at nighttime with a slower shutter speed the pictures turn out kind of blurry.
cy1229 wrote:[
What do you anticipate such that lens protection is necessary? If you always wrap your strap around your neck or wrist, dropping the camera becomes virtually nonexistent, and if you put the lens cap back on when you're not using your camera (such as walking from here to there) you'll protect it that way, too.
I personally do always have the camera around the neck and try to keep the lens capped as often as possible. However, I always worry about something getting blown by the wind into the lens or that it can get bumped when in a crowded area (like MK after the night parade or fireworks).
- Len90

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 20, 2013 8:11 am

Ahhh, image stabilization! Never heard it referred to as autostab :lol:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Wed 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Amy wrote:Ahhh, image stabilization! Never heard it referred to as autostab :lol:
I like my explanation better.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 20, 2013 6:20 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:Ahhh, image stabilization! Never heard it referred to as autostab :lol:
I like my explanation better.
Your explanation is definitely more creative...