Amy's Zoo Escape 1/12/13

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Amy's Zoo Escape 1/12/13

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Here are a few more photos from my impromptu zoo trip. The Potawatomi Zoo in South Bend is fairly small, so no giraffes or elephants, but it really was a nice diversion from a grey winter's day. And what a nice surprise to have the one winter day they are open for the month turn out to be almost 60 degrees! The otters weren't out unfortunately (I've never seen them since they were added to the zoo), but a majority of the animals were on exhibit.

I must apologize for the less than stellar quality of this picture, but the white tiger is so beautiful I had to share. She was sort of back in an alcove and the windows to the exhibit were less than clean, but I still liked this photo.

I'm sure Animal Kingdom has Takin, but I don't remember if they do for sure. Maybe along the Pangani Exploration Trail?

This one struck me as amusing as the flamingos were by the "How do flamingos communicate" sign and they were super vocal on this visit!

These guys are right next to the Lion enclosure. Guess they get along ok though.

The zoo has two male lions and they were both awake during my visit. Unlike those lazy bums in AK who always seem to be sleeping on the job! :roll: :lol:

I have another photo of this chimpanzee right before this one. Guess what she was picking, examination and sniffing right before I captured this one of her smiling?? :shock: Ugh!

I spent the last half hour or so of my visit by the tiger. She was pretty active and was close to the glass several times. I got a good feel for how large and powerful this animal was as she passed by me just inches away on the other side of the glass.

I made a deal with myself that I really wanted a picture of the tiger yawning. I had photos of the lion and white tiger yawning and there is something so endearing about them that I really wanted on of the tiger doing the same. She was reluctant, but gave a few tentative openings before launching forth with this beauty! And my visit was complete.

It was a fair substitute for the Animal Kingdom, and a great bargain for $5 for a day in January with the beautiful animals :D

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: Amy's Zoo Escape 1/12/13

Post by Sleepy90 » Jan Sun 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Looks like you had a great day. Absolutely fantastic photos.

My favourites are the big cats and my absolute fav is the Bob cat.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:Looks like you had a great day. Absolutely fantastic photos.

My favourites are the big cats and my absolute fav is the Bob cat.
Thanks :D I'm surprised they have a Bobcat as one of the animals as we have them around here in pretty good numbers in the wild. The one big cat I didn't get a good photo of was the Snow Leopard. He was on his perch and I just couldn't get a high enough angle to capture him. I think he was bummed it was so warm ;)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Sun 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Great pics Amy!
I don't know what it is, but taking photos of big cats (and most animals in general) is top on my list too! I love the tiger yawns...but those yawns tend to be contagious. :shock: :roll:

We'll be heading down to Chi-town in a couple of weeks (thank you D23). If we need to fill some time, we may find ourselves at Lincoln Park Zoo.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 13, 2013 11:39 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Great pics Amy!
I don't know what it is, but taking photos of big cats (and most animals in general) is top on my list too! I love the tiger yawns...but those yawns tend to be contagious. :shock: :roll:

We'll be heading down to Chi-town in a couple of weeks (thank you D23). If we need to fill some time, we may find ourselves at Lincoln Park Zoo.
Lincoln Park Zoo was fun. Visit it and the adjacent botanical gardens. It's worth it. The zoo has been modernizing slowly over the years. The last time I was there (years ago) the large cats were kept in the old style animal houses from the turn of the century. I was wondering if they ever replaced those old structures.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 14, 2013 9:30 am

mindflipper wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Great pics Amy!

Lincoln Park Zoo was fun. Visit it and the adjacent botanical gardens. It's worth it. The zoo has been modernizing slowly over the years. The last time I was there (years ago) the large cats were kept in the old style animal houses from the turn of the century. I was wondering if they ever replaced those old structures.
Yeah, let me know what date you end up heading that way. Maybe I can make it into the city and meet up with you!
I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo last summer with my family, or maybe it was two summers ago. Anyhow, it was super nice for a free city zoo. The parking costs a small fortune :shock: but the zoo is super nice! And yes mindflipper, the cats are still in those old style houses. It really is quite charming :D

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Mon 14, 2013 1:35 pm

When I read Amy's zoo escape, I thought you finally got out of Michigan!! ;+0
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Mon 14, 2013 3:52 pm

They don't let people out of Michigan that easily. Ever since the southern migration of the early 1980s, when 1/4 the population of Detroit went to Texas to work the oil fields. They make you leave something of high value, like a mother, behind at the border so they know you'll return when your vacation is over.

On another note, I have conducted two teacher workshops at the Lafflin Memorial Building on the grounds of Lincoln Park. BEAUTIFUL building - would be wonderful for a wedding reception or similar event. I've only ever been to Lincoln Park in cold weather so I've never hung around to check out the zoo, but it surely does look nice from the outside looking in, and if you can find a place to park on the street you don't have to pay the arm and leg they charge for parking.

What is it about Chicago and ransom-high parking rates? Is it that high in NY and LA, too? Parking in the loop is now $6.50 per hour! :shock:

Nice photos, Amy. I love looking at pictures of the big cats. Makes me wish I could just go up to them and give them a good scratch on their necks, tops of their heads, and cheeks. Big kitties, big scratches. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Mon 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Come to Chattanooga. We have a wonderful Zoo, a WORLD CLASS AQUARIUM, great restaurants, and you can park for the day for $4!!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:When I read Amy's zoo escape, I thought you finally got out of Michigan!! ;+0
:lol:
cy1229 wrote:They don't let people out of Michigan that easily. Ever since the southern migration of the early 1980s, when 1/4 the population of Detroit went to Texas to work the oil fields. They make you leave something of high value, like a mother, behind at the border so they know you'll return when your vacation is over.

On another note, I have conducted two teacher workshops at the Lafflin Memorial Building on the grounds of Lincoln Park. BEAUTIFUL building - would be wonderful for a wedding reception or similar event. I've only ever been to Lincoln Park in cold weather so I've never hung around to check out the zoo, but it surely does look nice from the outside looking in, and if you can find a place to park on the street you don't have to pay the arm and leg they charge for parking.

What is it about Chicago and ransom-high parking rates? Is it that high in NY and LA, too? Parking in the loop is now $6.50 per hour! :shock:

Nice photos, Amy. I love looking at pictures of the big cats. Makes me wish I could just go up to them and give them a good scratch on their necks, tops of their heads, and cheeks. Big kitties, big scratches. :)
:lol: That's why I'm taking the Momma with me when I move to Florida ;) I'll leave behind something else of value instead!
I don't know if Chicago is really high on parking rates or not. I don't think I've ever had to pay for parking around here, one of the perks of living in the country :lol: I will keep the street parking in mind if I can make it to meet up with MmeLeota and Cbog40 though. Since it is winter, I doubt F1gment will venture out so I can park a little further away and hoof it in ~ thanks for the tip! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Come to Chattanooga. We have a wonderful Zoo, a WORLD CLASS AQUARIUM, great restaurants, and you can park for the day for $4!!!
I We will be visiting you one day Jacca. I simply have to meet the man, the myth, the legend in person. Plus you keep offering to feed me good Italian food! :goofy_bounce:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Mon 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Come to Chattanooga. We have a wonderful Zoo, a WORLD CLASS AQUARIUM, great restaurants, and you can park for the day for $4!!!
But I'm not sure I know anyone in Chattanooga who is worth visiting... :wink: :lol: 8-)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 14, 2013 10:22 pm

cy1229 wrote:
But I'm not sure I know anyone in Chattanooga who is worth visiting... :wink: :lol: 8-)
Oh no she didn't :shock: :shock: :shock:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Tue 15, 2013 10:58 am

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
Oh no she didn't :shock: :shock: :shock:
Heeheeheehee Jacca knows I heart him. I just like pushing his buttons.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 15, 2013 12:05 pm

cy1229 wrote:Heeheeheehee Jacca knows I heart him. I just like pushing his buttons.
Yeah, he's just a big ole teddy bear :D