86%
No
14%

Total votes: 66

Magique
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Magique » Jul Thu 05, 2007 8:12 pm

Esmeralda wrote:If you like sci-fi that's campy and a bit off the wall, I'd try the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Bizarre, but I found them quite amusing! Doesn't look like it quite matches your list, but that's about as sci-fi as I get!
I agree. Hitchhiker's Guide is great. I'm attempting to read all of them. (I got a book that includes five). The strange thing about those books is that they start off great, but the endings are a bit disappointing. (No satisfactory endings).

In regards to Pride and Prejudice, being discussed above, I've read it for a class and really enjoyed it. Much more so than Wuthering Heights at least.

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Jul Fri 06, 2007 7:29 am

Has anyone read the other Jane Austen books (besides Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility)? Recommend them?

Any murder mystery fans out there? I cruised through about all the Agatha Christie's in high school and have gotten into Rex Stout. Lately, I've been trying Hannah Swenson (that's the detective) mysteries because they involve food and are located in MN, my home!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

DAR
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DAR » Jul Sat 07, 2007 1:44 pm

I decided to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince to get myself ready for book 7 which I will pick up the day after I get back from WDW.

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jul Sat 07, 2007 2:16 pm

DAR wrote:I decided to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince to get myself ready for book 7 which I will pick up the day after I get back from WDW.
That's right. Harry Potter 7 is almost here.

I just finished a book called Kite Runner. The fictional narrative is told from a boy's point of view about his privileged life in pre-taliban Afghanistan, to his fleeing to America in the 80s, to his adult return to Taliban-ruled Afghanistan to redeem himself from a childhood wrong-doing.

It definitely opened up a world to me that I never knew about. The emotions are just so raw.

I think there's a film coming out about it as well.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Magique
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Magique » Jul Sat 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Esmeralda wrote:Has anyone read the other Jane Austen books (besides Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility)? Recommend them?

Any murder mystery fans out there? I cruised through about all the Agatha Christie's in high school and have gotten into Rex Stout. Lately, I've been trying Hannah Swenson (that's the detective) mysteries because they involve food and are located in MN, my home!
I've read a few Agatha Christie books (The Mousetrap, Ten Little Indians, Murder on the Orient Express, Murder of Roger Ackroyd) and I had to read Maigret tend un piege (Maigret sets a trap) for French class. I think those are the only murder mysteries I've read... but mysteries are fun. (So long as they aren't entirely predictable).

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Jul Sat 07, 2007 9:12 pm

Esmeralda wrote:Has anyone read the other Jane Austen books (besides Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility)? Recommend them?
I read Mansfield Park and thought it was awful.

I'll be at Barnes & Noble at midnight for the last Harry Potter book.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jul Mon 09, 2007 10:51 am

Esmeralda wrote:If you like sci-fi that's campy and a bit off the wall, I'd try the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Bizarre, but I found them quite amusing! Doesn't look like it quite matches your list, but that's about as sci-fi as I get!
Of course I've read those :) I have the book, as well, that has all the stories in one.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Jul Mon 09, 2007 12:46 pm

subsonic wrote:
Of course I've read those :) I have the book, as well, that has all the stories in one.
I should have known you'd have good taste like that! I still have to read the 5th one when I get the time.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Breegan
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by Breegan » Jul Tue 24, 2007 6:56 pm

Harry Potter books!!!!!! Those are prolly my ultimate favorite books. the Lurlene McDaniel books are really good too. they are about cancer or losses that have happened to teenagers mostly. Has anyone read those?
"Why should i sail with any of you? Four of you tried to kill me in the past! ...One of you succeeded."

"Shoot him, and cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue. And trim that sgraggly beard."

(Tia Dalma:) "You know I demand payment." - ( Jack:) "I brought payment. Look!" (shoots the monkey) "An undead monkey! Top that!"

"Son....Im Captain Jack Sparrow...savvy?"

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Jul Thu 26, 2007 5:57 pm

I recently finished a book called "World War Z" by Max Brooks. It's about the recovery of the world after being devastated by a world-wide epidemic of zombies (Night of the Living Dead-type). It was a fascinating read. Not an elementary read either.

I used to read the "Left-Behind" series until it finished.

Don't really want to get into Harry Potter. Kept falling asleep during the first movie. :x
Image Image

Breegan

Post by Breegan » Jul Fri 27, 2007 8:05 pm

oh my!! you have nooo idea what u r missing lol. the books are wayyyy better than the movies. much more detail. the 1st one is pretty slow moving but as you get into them they are fantastic!!
"Why should i sail with any of you? Four of you tried to kill me in the past! ...One of you succeeded."

"Shoot him, and cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue. And trim that sgraggly beard."

(Tia Dalma:) "You know I demand payment." - ( Jack:) "I brought payment. Look!" (shoots the monkey) "An undead monkey! Top that!"

"Son....Im Captain Jack Sparrow...savvy?"

SWHorn

Post by SWHorn » Jul Sun 29, 2007 6:55 pm

BuDz211 wrote:I used to read the "Left-Behind" series until it finished.

Don't really want to get into Harry Potter. Kept falling asleep during the first movie. :x
I read all 11 of the first books, and I got half-way through the Glorious Appearing and didn't finish. How lame am I? Geez, they dragged that out. And then they put out a series of prequels to it. :shock:

Harry Potter is awesome. I am a rather large fantasy geek, though, so take it from the source. My husband wasn't into it at all, and wasn't even too thrilled with the first film. But, he watched the rest of the movies, and now he too has read all 7 books...and he loves them.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Sun 29, 2007 7:11 pm

A lot of people may have already read them, but for those that didn't and for those who like Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Prydain (aka: The Black Cauldron Series) is a great overlooked fantasy series. They're similar to Narnia in that the stories aren't really connected that well together (however they are connected better than Narnia), but the individual stories are very well thought out and well written. They almost feel like classic British literature (which I'm a big fan of), like a cross between Macbeth and King Arthur.

Nothing can beat Lewis Carroll's nonsense though... :ccat:

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » Aug Mon 06, 2007 6:40 am

I spend all day reading and writing. If I am going to read anything in my down time it has to be an easy read that doesn't require much thought. :|

Any of the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett fit the bill and they are funny. :lol:
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

SpaceyMounty
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by SpaceyMounty » Nov Sun 04, 2007 1:00 pm

Lately, I've been reading a book called Eragon. That's a really good book, but when I just need something funny and more realistic, I read any David Sedaris book! He's HILARIOUS!
Just one book of his left I have yet to read and I plan on getting it today.

P.S. haven't been to the boards in forever! Need to post more often.
Disneyland is the best!