No
14%

Total votes: 66

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Read any good books lately???

Post by Amy » May Wed 08, 2013 9:18 pm

MetalRage wrote:I'm actually working on writing a book. It's in its early stages right now, but I really hope I can get it published one day. =)
Anything Disney related? Or just a regular sort of book?

DAR
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DAR » Jun Sat 01, 2013 7:16 am

Currently reading Dan Brown's Inferno

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Mon 17, 2014 8:53 pm

I recently finished "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom". I stumbled across it at the library. It's definitely futuristic and quite odd. I hope the future doesn't end up like it describes, particularly when it comes to Disney attractions.

Currently though I'm reading a Star Trek novel, fluff reading for the gym :)

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Aug Sun 24, 2014 3:16 pm

I want to write my bachelor thesis about a Disney related topic. Can anyone recommend a biography about Walt Disney?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Epcotmaniac wrote:I want to write my bachelor thesis about a Disney related topic. Can anyone recommend a biography about Walt Disney?
This one looks interesting ~ The Animated Man: A Life Of Walt Disney by Michael Barrier, (although it appears to have some mixed reviews when I pulled it up to look at it closer)
This one looks good and has very good reviews ~ Inside the Dream: The Personal Story of Walt Disney, by Katherine Greene, Richard Greene, Wendy Lefkon (Editor)
And one more that pulled up in my search ~ Walt Disney: A Biography, by Louise Krasniewicz
I've not read any of these personally, but they all look worthy of a closer look perhaps

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Aug Mon 25, 2014 7:29 pm

I've read "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination" by Neal Gabler. From what I remember it was very detailed. It's about 2 inches thick.

What degree program are you taking? If it's science/engineering related maybe you could lean towards an imagineering type book for a thesis? I really enjoyed "Dream It! Do It!: My Half-Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms" by Marty Sklar.

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Aug Tue 26, 2014 10:13 am

I will major in American Studies. I can write my thesis either in cultural studies or in literature studies.

I have several possible topics in my mind. Maybe the role and emancipation of women in the Disney movies from Snow White to Frozen.

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Aug Tue 26, 2014 12:43 pm

"American Nomads" by Richard Grant
"Safe Area: Gorozde" by Joe Sacco

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Aug Tue 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Epcotmaniac wrote:I will major in American Studies. I can write my thesis either in cultural studies or in literature studies.

I have several possible topics in my mind. Maybe the role and emancipation of women in the Disney movies from Snow White to Frozen.
That sounds like a really interesting topic! Good luck with the writing :)

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Sep Sun 21, 2014 8:07 am

I just finished "Ears of Steel: A Real Man's Guide to Walt Disney World" by Bart Scott. I am not the target audience, not being a man, but thought it would be a funny read. It was quite enjoyable. The copyright date is 2014 so I was a bit surprised that the new fast pass program wasn't mentioned at all. Maybe it was written for a while before being published.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Oct Wed 01, 2014 1:50 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:I just finished "Ears of Steel: A Real Man's Guide to Walt Disney World" by Bart Scott. I am not the target audience, not being a man, but thought it would be a funny read. It was quite enjoyable. The copyright date is 2014 so I was a bit surprised that the new fast pass program wasn't mentioned at all. Maybe it was written for a while before being published.
This sounds ridiculous. I'm going to look for it now.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Oct Thu 02, 2014 5:27 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:
ImagineerWannabe wrote:I just finished "Ears of Steel: A Real Man's Guide to Walt Disney World" by Bart Scott. I am not the target audience, not being a man, but thought it would be a funny read. It was quite enjoyable. The copyright date is 2014 so I was a bit surprised that the new fast pass program wasn't mentioned at all. Maybe it was written for a while before being published.
This sounds ridiculous. I'm going to look for it now.
There are definitely some very funny moments. Let us know what you think if you find it.

I saw it recommended somewhere on the forums and just finished "Designing Disney: Imagineering and The Art of the Show" by John Hench. It's always been a saying in my family, usually in situations that have involved a very bad waiting experience somewhere, that no one moves people like Disney. One of the opening stories in this book was about that very thing. It was planned, studied and made the best it could be. When people were walking through a flower bed and someone told Walt they'd better put up a fence, his response was, "No. You'd better pave the path." What a unique way to think!

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » May Sun 17, 2015 12:18 pm

Technically I listened to it rather than read it, but that was the way to go in this case. The book: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, the narrator: Jeremy Irons. After re-finding the thread that mentioned Irons being able to read the phonebook and make it sound good, I checked if he'd done any audiobooks. I found this one at the library and really enjoyed it, both the performance and the story.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 17, 2015 7:10 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:Technically I listened to it rather than read it, but that was the way to go in this case. The book: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, the narrator: Jeremy Irons. After re-finding the thread that mentioned Irons being able to read the phonebook and make it sound good, I checked if he'd done any audiobooks. I found this one at the library and really enjoyed it, both the performance and the story.
I'll have to recommend that to Figment ~ she enjoys listening to audiobooks. I just can't seem to concentrate on them, but maybe with Jeremy Irons narrating it I might :lol:

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by bcgm3 » May Sun 24, 2015 9:04 am

I'm about halfway through "A Clash of Kings," the second book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (aka, Game of Thrones). Haven't really done any solid reading like this since high school, but I'm really into these!