Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 66

pgreger

Read any good books lately???

Post by pgreger » Jul Mon 12, 2004 3:52 am

So, I'm a big fan of Fantasy books - J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore, Robin Hobb and the like - but I'll read almost anything... except sci-fi, for some reason I have trouble getting into sci-fi... :shock:

Anyone else like to read? If so what kind of stuff? Got any recomendations? Any reviews?

I'm in the midst of R.A. Salvatore's "Demonwars Saga". Just finished the 5th book "Ascendance". That was a good read. In fact I was late getting back from my lunch break today because I was so close to the end, all wrapped up in the story and not paying attention to the time.

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

getting ready to read...

Post by sockfire » Jul Mon 12, 2004 11:25 am

I'm getting ready to read R.A.Salvatore's The Two Swords which comes out in a few months. Until then I plan to read Alice in Wonderland.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jul Mon 12, 2004 11:59 am

My woman bought me Eragon. It's a fantasy book written by this kid who was 15. He finally got it published, and at 19, the books now on the best seller list. I'm close to finishing it. So far I've enjoyed it. The pace is good. At times though, I've found some of the events too coincidental. Like you can tell it's been written by a kid.

hmfreak13
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by hmfreak13 » Jul Fri 16, 2004 12:40 am

anyone read the Dune books?
The wonderful world of Disney...I mean Rose...;)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jul Fri 16, 2004 9:28 am

hmfreak13 wrote:anyone read the Dune books?
I've read the first book. It was a while ago. I remember it not being like the movie that much. That threw me off. I should read it again and see what I think.

Manncab

Post by Manncab » Jul Fri 16, 2004 3:06 pm

the last book i read was the novel based on the haunted mansion movie

and before that was from the mk to the movie on the haunted mansion

pgreger

Post by pgreger » Sep Fri 10, 2004 12:42 pm

After I finished "Ascendence" (the book I talked about in the 1st post in this topic) I took a break from that series and read the 1st 3 books in the "War of the Spider Queen". Interesting series because each book (there will be 7 of them) is written by a different author. Through the 1st 3 books it seemed pretty well done. Each author has done their homework and they've been well edited. If you read them back to back the very beginning of each book throws you a little for a chapter or 2 as you get used to the new author's style. When you do though, it's easy to get absorbed in to the storyline and forget about the multiple author thing.

1 problem, I bought the 1st 3 books in paperback and the rest are available only in hardcover now!!! Well, I've got to have the whole series in the same size books otherwise my shelves will look funny, right? :wink:

pgreger

Post by pgreger » Sep Fri 10, 2004 12:57 pm

Now that I'm waiting for the next books in the "War of the Spider Queen" series to come out I went back to R.A Salvatore's "Second Demonwars Saga" and the book that followed "Ascendence", "Transcendence".

Now that was a great read! "Transcendence" follows 2 characters who split out at the beginning of "Ascendence" through their adventures which unfold in the same time frame as the rest of "Ascendence". The books in this series just keep getting better and better!

So now I'm off to the series' conclusion "Immortalis"... but, a friend at work just gave me the 1st book in a series he really liked, "the Death Gate Cycle"... maybe I'll read that one first...

Manncab

Post by Manncab » Sep Fri 10, 2004 9:17 pm

Does the writing on the Men's Room Wall Count ???

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by eagle4life69 » Sep Sat 11, 2004 1:32 pm

no but reading it does. lol

Me not a big reader I read on my computer at work all day, so when I get home I don't even Touch my PC.

I get on my XBOX :lol:

amychester

Post by amychester » Oct Mon 11, 2004 11:47 am

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
(all by Orson Scott Card)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Oct Mon 11, 2004 12:17 pm

Wow, there's a lot of people that like Ender's Game

eagle4life69

Post by eagle4life69 » Oct Mon 18, 2004 4:17 pm

my newest book is the new Dr. Phil Book but I didn't read it I got books on Tape/CD

sockfire

Two Swords

Post by sockfire » Oct Tue 19, 2004 1:18 am

The official street date for R.A. Salvatore's The Two Swords is tomorrow! All bets are off once that arrives.

Belle

Post by Belle » Nov Sat 20, 2004 7:21 am

hey i'm a tolkien fan too!! :D But i strangly prefer to read his books translated to portuguese :S

I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown

and now I'm reading Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

i recommend both of them :D