Skateboarding anyone?

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Skateboarding anyone?

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Thu 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm realizing now that a lot of folks on this forum are part of the.....err....well...yeah, the "older than me" crowd. But I don't think that should affect the enthusiasm I have for skateboarding, most notably of the old-school variety. Did any member here skate back in the day or possibly still do? Went to go see the new Bones Brigade: An Autobiography film the other night and loved every minute of it. Really lit a fire under my butt regarding skating more and just generally enjoying life more.

Here's a pic of my current setup:

The board on the left is a 1989 Mike McGill deck that I snagged for $30, the center board is a Chris Haslam pool deck that I painted and re-gripped. it was too small for me so I ended up bumping up to the board on the right. It's an AntiHero Generic Series Retro Board with some Indy 169's and OJ Hot Juice wheels. Carves like butter and has a really nice surfy feel.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Skateboarding anyone?

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Thu 08, 2012 6:10 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:I'm realizing now that a lot of folks on this forum are part of the.....err....well...yeah, the "older than me" crowd. But I don't think that should affect the enthusiasm I have for skateboarding, most notably of the old-school variety. Did any member here skate back in the day or possibly still do? Went to go see the new Bones Brigade: An Autobiography film the other night and loved every minute of it. Really lit a fire under my butt regarding skating more and just generally enjoying life more.

Here's a pic of my current setup:

The board on the left is a 1989 Mike McGill deck that I snagged for $30, the center board is a Chris Haslam pool deck that I painted and re-gripped. it was too small for me so I ended up bumping up to the board on the right. It's an AntiHero Generic Series Retro Board with some Indy 169's and OJ Hot Juice wheels. Carves like butter and has a really nice surfy feel.
NOT ME!!! I look at those and see a WHEEL CHAIR!!! When I was younger, YES!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Thu 08, 2012 6:16 pm

I don't blame ya! I'm 25 and even I don't have the guts to do alot of stuff on my board, I've taken some nasty spills so those probably set me back some.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Thu 08, 2012 9:35 pm

One of my brothers did a little skateboarding when he was younger. I mostly used his board to sit on and fly down the driveway ~ but only when he wasn't home, I wasn't allowed to touch it ;) :lol:
I never got into the skateboarding thing really. I did win one at an Easter egg hunt one year, but it wasn't a very good one. I preferred roller blading myself.
A friend of mine in college was a serious skateboarder...he took his board everywhere!
I am a member of the "older than you on the boards" category...sigh. But it's always fun to look back and reminisce :D

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Fri 09, 2012 12:44 am

Amy wrote:One of my brothers did a little skateboarding when he was younger. I mostly used his board to sit on and fly down the driveway ~ but only when he wasn't home, I wasn't allowed to touch it ;) :lol:
I never got into the skateboarding thing really. I did win one at an Easter egg hunt one year, but it wasn't a very good one. I preferred roller blading myself.
A friend of mine in college was a serious skateboarder...he took his board everywhere!
I am a member of the "older than you on the boards" category...sigh. But it's always fun to look back and reminisce :D
Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to make that sound rude or anything. What kind of board was it that you won? Maybe I could shed some light on it?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Fri 09, 2012 6:49 am

TikiTikiRoom wrote:
Amy wrote:One of my brothers did a little skateboarding when he was younger. I mostly used his board to sit on and fly down the driveway ~ but only when he wasn't home, I wasn't allowed to touch it ;) :lol:
Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to make that sound rude or anything. What kind of board was it that you won? Maybe I could shed some light on it?
No, not rude at all. We are born when we are born. I just would have liked to avoid spending my childhood in the late 70's plaids and stripes and checks :shock: especially since they were my brother's hand me downs from the late 60's :roll: I've given my Mom some grief over it when looking through old photos, but she said I didn't really care what I wore and I believe her. I was happiest when climbing trees, reading books, and swimming in the creek ~ thankfully I got my "own" swimsuits! :lol: I'm still young at heart though...and I look like I'm in my early 20's...or at least that's what people tell me :mrgreen:
My skateboard? Uh, yeah, it wasn't a brand name or anything. It was a heavy sort of plastic and a pretty blue. Don't remember what color the wheels were even, possibly red-ish. I know it got utilized around the outside of the house as a caster board of sorts to move heavy things. Don't really remember using it as a skateboard much. My brother's was a sort of custom deck I think. It was made of wood, and had a no-slip top ~ I would have preferred something cushier to sit on ;) and he changed out the wheels to make them something really, really fast. My brother was always tinkering and is now an engineer ~ still tinkers :lol:

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Sat 10, 2012 11:55 am

ah bummer. You said Blue Plastic and the first one that came to mind was a Globe Bantam but that's not it at all, those are too new i believe.

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Sat 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Also did a quick search around and my next solid guess (going by when I THINK you grew up) would be this Roller Derby board. It was pretty cheap and mass produced. Sold in toy stores and what not.

Am I close? hahha

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 10, 2012 4:56 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Also did a quick search around and my next solid guess (going by when I THINK you grew up) would be this Roller Derby board. It was pretty cheap and mass produced. Sold in toy stores and what not.

Am I close? hahha
Hmmm, that looks fancier than my model was. That's the right shade of blue though, and probably about the right size. I don't think my wheels were that big though. And I remember the front as being rounder. I'll have to poke around the old photos and see if it ever got caught on film ~ yes, film!

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Nov Sat 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Hmmm, the only thing I can add to this conversation was that I always wanted a Power Peralta board with Rat Bone wheels... never got it though, as they were too expensive.

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Sun 11, 2012 12:23 am

Powell Peralta boards are a main stay in the skate community! I actually just went to an exclusive viewing of "Bones Brigade: An Autobiography". A film documenting and interviewing various members of the Bones Brigade, a Powell Peralta skate team from the 80's. That pink board in the pic I posted is a Powell Peralta board from 1989. Peralta boards almost always (to me) have some of the best graphics. Cool stuff

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 13, 2012 5:53 pm

I have a brand new skateboard - courtesy of my happy meal :lol: it's a young justice superman board with icy blue wheels :lol:

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Tue 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Amy wrote:I have a brand new skateboard - courtesy of my happy meal :lol: it's a young justice superman board with icy blue wheels :lol:
Congrats! Now go outside and ride it! hahaha

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Tue 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Amy wrote:I have a brand new skateboard - courtesy of my happy meal :lol: it's a young justice superman board with icy blue wheels :lol:
HAPPY MEAL?
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 13, 2012 8:46 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:
Congrats! Now go outside and ride it! hahaha
:lol: If only I were tiny enough to fit on it, I probably would! But I would to be about Tinkerbelle sized. And if I had wings, I would just fly ;)
Jacca5660 wrote:
HAPPY MEAL?
Coupon! Behave yourself young man :twisted: