Star Wars is here

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jun Tue 14, 2005 12:40 am

For the Leia remembering her mother, That can be explained as a by-product of the Force. In The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda teaches Luke in the ways of the Force. While explaining the Force, he says:
Yoda wrote:Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Yes. Good. Calm, yes. Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future...the past. Old friends long gone.
In Return of the Jedi, When Luke asks Leia if she knew her mother, Leia seems to think for a moment, almost as if drawing from the Force.

As for the Lightsaber, I think that this can be explained with the statement on point-of-view. I do believe that Anakin Skywalker would want for his lightsaber to be passed down to his offspring. Whether said aloud or not, I do believe that with the way he used to show-boat, he'd want to show his kid(s) everything he knew, which would include any lightsaber tricks, and giving the lightsaber would probably be included.

And finally, the name. As we never see him say his name to Owen or Beru Lars, I think we can write that off to a few things. 1) he was trying to hide, and also commune with the Force (and Qui-Gon) at the end of Revenge of the Sith. 2) as he was hiding out, word of him there may have reached the local villages/inhabitants, and his name somehow "leaked". however, this could be construed as a case of that "telephone" game you play in school (where a phrase is started at one end, then told person-to-person until the end with no repeating, then see how accurate it is at the end). Te name just ot changed over time, and as he was trying to hide, Obi-wan never bothered to correct them.

I know I could be stretching things a bit, but I feel these are kind of easily explained. Now, I'd like to know how Obi-Wan goes from looking 30 to looking 60 in the span of about 16-18 years. Also, how is it that Technology (and species) takes a nose-dive and things go from big to tiny in the course of that same 16-18 years.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by sockfire » Jun Tue 14, 2005 12:51 am

mking624 wrote:I don't exactly consider it nitpicky. These were pretty big things. If they made a point to stress these issues in the original trilogy, it would make sense to discuss them in the prequels. If we're going to use the logic of "well it could have happened off screen" then there isn't a point to ANY of the prequels because all of it could have happened off screen...so what's the point of showing you anything?
Obi-Wan was referred to as Master Kenobi most of Ep3. I think only Anakin and Padme refer to him as ObiWan. I'll have to see if anyone calls him Obi-wan after the birth, but I don't think anyone does. Maybe Yoda. This would be a technicality, I know.
It's the fact that E3 doesn't mention a name change at all. And yet somehow, everyone in the original trilogy knows him as Ben. For something as big as that, you'd think they'd want to at least make a minimal explanation. I understand it's the whole "going into hiding" thing (which still is a lame reason...like they wouldn't be able to figure out that Obi-wan Kenobi and Old Ben Kenobi were the exact same person), but if they made the point to stress a name change in E4, you'd think they'd cover it a tad in E3 especially when one of the remaining Jedi (Yoda) didn't change his name (regardless of the fact that he was isolated). Obi-Wan didn't stop using his name before he was born...there was no indication that he just gave up his name. If I am referred to as "Mrs. Last Name", it doesn't mean I stop ceasing to go by the name "Mary." Since the Jedi going into hiding didn't happen until after the twins were born, it wouldn't make sense to have Kenobi change his name until after that point. So a simple explanation would have been suitable if they were to be consistant with "I haven't gone by that name since before you were born" so that it flowed better.
Obi-wan and Anakin were best friends and could easily have discussed passing on a lightsaber to an offspring. Doesn't have to be Luke in particular. Plus, Obi-Wan was trying to entice Luke to be interested in the Force. So he stretched the truth a little. "So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." Obi-Wan admits to stretching the truth when he's talking to Luke on Dagobah after our little green friend fades away.
See that's a little part where you're mistaken. Obi-Wan and Anakin would not have discussed passing on a lightsaber to offspring because Obi-Wan had no idea that Anakin was going to be a father until after Anakin had already turned to the Dark Side and Obi-Wan had confronted Padme with the truth about him...and that's when he discovered that Anakin was the father of her baby. The Jedi were forbidden from falling in love...let alone marrying and having babies...so this information was hidden from Obi-Wan even though Padme had attempted to convince Anakin to tell him....it was hidden from him until the bond of "best friends" no longer existed. And the "stretching the truth" thing is a bit far I think...when Obi-Wan stretched the truth to Luke, he was trying to protect Luke from Vader. Stretching the truth about a lightsaber serves no purpose...and the Jedi weren't trained to lie for no good reason.
I'm sure Leia knew she was adopted by the fact that she didn't look like the royal family of Alderaan. And the Organas could have shown her photos and told her nice things about her real mother.
That's not quite the same. If someone asked you if you remembered someone you had only been told about, you're answer wouldn't be "yes I do." You'd say "well, I've heard about so-and-so and have seen pictures." It wouldn't be in a way that strongly indicates that you truly did know the person at one point. Leia's answer to Luke was the reason why rumors had been flying around pre-E3 that Padme remained alive for a time...whether she had helped in taking care of Leia or something else (in fact, one big rumor for awhile was that she was actually Mon Mothma...the rumor was quickly squashed when an actress was cast for that role).
I totally agree with all your points. I'm just saying it's all gesticulation. How could we possibly say for sure? 8)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jun Wed 15, 2005 11:02 am

I still hate medichlorians.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z