Star Wars is here

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

AlexLoup
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by AlexLoup » May Wed 25, 2005 4:19 pm

And did anyone catch the cameo of Keisha Castle-Hughes(ya, know- the whale rider)? She was the queen of naboo during Padme's funeral procession.
Warn people of spoilers next time Lion, I have yet to see it and now I know that Padme dies... oh well I didn't like her anyway.
I've gone full circle on my avatars.

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » May Wed 25, 2005 6:35 pm

Sorry about that- I assumed that everyone knew it was going to happen despite not even watching the film.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

AlexLoup

Post by AlexLoup » May Wed 25, 2005 10:56 pm

A couple of my friends thought that she would hand Luke to his uncle then give Leia to what's-his-face and she kinda becomes a nanny to Leia. :shock:

borjoyzee

Post by borjoyzee » May Thu 26, 2005 11:12 am

Yes, I work at AMC, so I got to see the movie the day before it came out and plus I got to see a midnight showing wen night.

The movie is AWESOME!
Love Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but hard to decide to which one is best.

Love RCT3

Fantasrick
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Episode III

Post by Fantasrick » May Fri 27, 2005 1:08 pm

What I really liked about the film is that everyone knew along the lines about what was going to happen plot wiseand it was cool to see how it all goes down.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » May Fri 27, 2005 1:13 pm

I watched ep 4 last night and everything all of a sudden made sense. Everything has come full circle(despite plot holes).

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

AlexLoup

Post by AlexLoup » May Fri 27, 2005 9:16 pm

Did Lucas make a cameo like I read, I think is is a senator.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jun Mon 06, 2005 1:40 pm

I've also heard ET is a senator, I've seen it twice and i didn't see him.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jun Mon 06, 2005 3:34 pm

jrcohen wrote:I've also heard ET is a senator, I've seen it twice and i didn't see him.
LOL, that's awesome. There are sooo many senators, you would probably have to pause and look at each one.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Fantasrick
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Episode III

Post by Fantasrick » Jun Thu 09, 2005 12:14 pm

Saw it again last night. It's just as good the second time. I still get choked up at the end.

Fantasrick
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Also

Post by Fantasrick » Jun Thu 09, 2005 12:16 pm

After I watched episode III I watched a little of Ep. IV and it made more sense to me why Obi Wan let's Darth Vader defeat him. It has to do with him protecting Luke and Leia, and what he said abou becoming more powerful, also the fact that is mentioned at the end of ep. III with Obi Wan being able to commune with Qui Gon.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jun Sun 12, 2005 1:54 am

Yeah. Too bad qui gon wasn't mentioned in ep 4. Does anyone feel that lightsabers aren't as cool now? I don't know, but the coolness and novelty has kinda worn off for me.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

mking624
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by mking624 » Jun Mon 13, 2005 10:00 am

I was watching E4-6 the other day and noticed a couple of inconsistancies.....

Obi-Wan tells Luke that he hasn't gone by the name "Obi-Wan" since before he was born. Yet we see in E3 that this is not true. He was still using the name "Obi-Wan" even after Luke was born and there was never a mention that he should and would change his name. I actually found it odd they never even brought up a name change from "Obi-Wan" to "Ben"...considering that's how everyone knew him in E4.

Obi-Wan hands Luke a lightsaber (obviously Anakin's) and says his father wanted him to have it when he was old enough. Yet in E3, Anakin has no idea that Padme even survived long enough to give birth to his children. All he knows at the time is that Padme died. He's told that in his anger, he killed her. He knows he never saw her come back to consciousness, so it would make sense that he believes he killed her by his own hand...and that he wouldn't know his child(ren) even survived. And no where in E3 does he ever mention that he'd want his future child to own the lightsaber.

A big one that stood out to me was when Luke was talking to Leia in E6 and asks her "do you remember your mother? I mean your real mother." Obviously, this is implying that he is referring to Padme since by this point in the movie, we know that Luke & Leia are twins who were separated and put into hiding and it implies that Luke is NOT referring to her adopted mother when he stresses her "real mother". Leia responds that she only really remembers images, but that she was very beautiful and kind. Unless she's got some sort of memory that starts at the moment of birth, they kind of messed up on that one since Padme died mere moments after their birth. Yet she remembers her real mother? This is why many people believed that Padme lived for a time...particularly close in proximity to Leia.

There were other inconsistancies as well...can't remember them all, but those were the big ones I remember specifically. E3 still did a good job at wrapping up many other questions.

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

nah

Post by sockfire » Jun Mon 13, 2005 11:03 pm

mking624 wrote:I was watching E4-6 the other day and noticed a couple of inconsistancies.....

Obi-Wan tells Luke that he hasn't gone by the name "Obi-Wan" since before he was born. Yet we see in E3 that this is not true. He was still using the name "Obi-Wan" even after Luke was born and there was never a mention that he should and would change his name. I actually found it odd they never even brought up a name change from "Obi-Wan" to "Ben"...considering that's how everyone knew him in E4.

Obi-Wan hands Luke a lightsaber (obviously Anakin's) and says his father wanted him to have it when he was old enough. Yet in E3, Anakin has no idea that Padme even survived long enough to give birth to his children. All he knows at the time is that Padme died. He's told that in his anger, he killed her. He knows he never saw her come back to consciousness, so it would make sense that he believes he killed her by his own hand...and that he wouldn't know his child(ren) even survived. And no where in E3 does he ever mention that he'd want his future child to own the lightsaber.

A big one that stood out to me was when Luke was talking to Leia in E6 and asks her "do you remember your mother? I mean your real mother." Obviously, this is implying that he is referring to Padme since by this point in the movie, we know that Luke & Leia are twins who were separated and put into hiding and it implies that Luke is NOT referring to her adopted mother when he stresses her "real mother". Leia responds that she only really remembers images, but that she was very beautiful and kind. Unless she's got some sort of memory that starts at the moment of birth, they kind of messed up on that one since Padme died mere moments after their birth. Yet she remembers her real mother? This is why many people believed that Padme lived for a time...particularly close in proximity to Leia.

There were other inconsistancies as well...can't remember them all, but those were the big ones I remember specifically. E3 still did a good job at wrapping up many other questions.
That's all believable, but it's a little nitpicky. All this stuff could have happened off screen.

Obi-Wan was referred to as Master Kenobi most of Ep3. I think only Anakin and Padme refer to him as ObiWan. I'll have to see if anyone calls him Obi-wan after the birth, but I don't think anyone does. Maybe Yoda. This would be a technicality, I know.

Obi-wan and Anakin were best friends and could easily have discussed passing on a lightsaber to an offspring. Doesn't have to be Luke in particular. Plus, Obi-Wan was trying to entice Luke to be interested in the Force. So he stretched the truth a little. "So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." Obi-Wan admits to stretching the truth when he's talking to Luke on Dagobah after our little green friend fades away.

I'm sure Leia knew she was adopted by the fact that she didn't look like the royal family of Alderaan. And the Organas could have shown her photos and told her nice things about her real mother.

8)

mking624

Post by mking624 » Jun Mon 13, 2005 11:42 pm

I don't exactly consider it nitpicky. These were pretty big things. If they made a point to stress these issues in the original trilogy, it would make sense to discuss them in the prequels. If we're going to use the logic of "well it could have happened off screen" then there isn't a point to ANY of the prequels because all of it could have happened off screen...so what's the point of showing you anything?
Obi-Wan was referred to as Master Kenobi most of Ep3. I think only Anakin and Padme refer to him as ObiWan. I'll have to see if anyone calls him Obi-wan after the birth, but I don't think anyone does. Maybe Yoda. This would be a technicality, I know.
It's the fact that E3 doesn't mention a name change at all. And yet somehow, everyone in the original trilogy knows him as Ben. For something as big as that, you'd think they'd want to at least make a minimal explanation. I understand it's the whole "going into hiding" thing (which still is a lame reason...like they wouldn't be able to figure out that Obi-wan Kenobi and Old Ben Kenobi were the exact same person), but if they made the point to stress a name change in E4, you'd think they'd cover it a tad in E3 especially when one of the remaining Jedi (Yoda) didn't change his name (regardless of the fact that he was isolated). Obi-Wan didn't stop using his name before he was born...there was no indication that he just gave up his name. If I am referred to as "Mrs. Last Name", it doesn't mean I stop ceasing to go by the name "Mary." Since the Jedi going into hiding didn't happen until after the twins were born, it wouldn't make sense to have Kenobi change his name until after that point. So a simple explanation would have been suitable if they were to be consistant with "I haven't gone by that name since before you were born" so that it flowed better.
Obi-wan and Anakin were best friends and could easily have discussed passing on a lightsaber to an offspring. Doesn't have to be Luke in particular. Plus, Obi-Wan was trying to entice Luke to be interested in the Force. So he stretched the truth a little. "So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." Obi-Wan admits to stretching the truth when he's talking to Luke on Dagobah after our little green friend fades away.
See that's a little part where you're mistaken. Obi-Wan and Anakin would not have discussed passing on a lightsaber to offspring because Obi-Wan had no idea that Anakin was going to be a father until after Anakin had already turned to the Dark Side and Obi-Wan had confronted Padme with the truth about him...and that's when he discovered that Anakin was the father of her baby. The Jedi were forbidden from falling in love...let alone marrying and having babies...so this information was hidden from Obi-Wan even though Padme had attempted to convince Anakin to tell him....it was hidden from him until the bond of "best friends" no longer existed. And the "stretching the truth" thing is a bit far I think...when Obi-Wan stretched the truth to Luke, he was trying to protect Luke from Vader. Stretching the truth about a lightsaber serves no purpose...and the Jedi weren't trained to lie for no good reason.
I'm sure Leia knew she was adopted by the fact that she didn't look like the royal family of Alderaan. And the Organas could have shown her photos and told her nice things about her real mother.
That's not quite the same. If someone asked you if you remembered someone you had only been told about, you're answer wouldn't be "yes I do." You'd say "well, I've heard about so-and-so and have seen pictures." It wouldn't be in a way that strongly indicates that you truly did know the person at one point. Leia's answer to Luke was the reason why rumors had been flying around pre-E3 that Padme remained alive for a time...whether she had helped in taking care of Leia or something else (in fact, one big rumor for awhile was that she was actually Mon Mothma...the rumor was quickly squashed when an actress was cast for that role).