Broadway Across America

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Broadway Across America

Post by NaCler » Mar Fri 09, 2012 10:15 pm

As was mentioned in another thread... Thanks ladies...

Post anything about your favorite shows here.

My top three would have to be...
1) Les Mis
2) Phantom (Webber version)
3) Wicked/Spamalot (tie)

Going to see Jersey Boys for the first time in less than two weeks.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Broadway Across America

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 10, 2012 7:48 am

I've never seen a Broadway show ~ but I hope to someday! I do have a lot of students that play music from the various songs though.
I would love to see Wicked ~ so many good songs. Phantom is one of my least favorite as far as piano arrangements go. Too much repetition and banging bass happening for me :roll: I'm sure the show would be better with a full orchestra...but it remains a popular option for my students. The youngest playing something out of Phantom is only 8 :shock: and she absolutely adores the music!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Mar Sat 10, 2012 8:57 am

The music I like the most in Phantom are the ones you don't hear that often outside of the show, such as "Notes" and "Masquerade" not so much "Music of the Night" or "Phantom of the Opera"

I think you would really enjoy Wicked, going on what I know about you and your tastes. It is a lot funnier than what I was prepared for. Elphaba's sarcasm and Gaa-Linda's ditziness really make the show entertaining.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Apr Sun 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Just a quick update on my show-seeing lately. I saw Spamalot in February for the first time ever and it was wonderful of course. It is a must see for any Monty Python fan.

I also saw Jersey Boys in late March and not seeing the show before or knowing the story, I was a little skeptical. However, I was blown away by the show. The music is wonderful, of course. The story line was great as it was told by each member of the Four Seasons so you get a variety of points of view. Go see it if you can.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Thu 10, 2012 9:25 am

Lion King is playing here in Orlando but I didn't go, no time and no money, much as I'd love to see it.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Thu 10, 2012 9:52 am

In the morning, when my family is trying not to talk, I will break into Oklahoma!!! I think I've cheated death a few times!!! :lol: :roll: :wink: :twisted:
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Sun 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Ok, I just came across this topic...

I can't really "rank" my favorite musicals, but Les Mis and Wicked are definitely top the list!
I love Phantom, but like you NaCler, my fave songs are ones not heard much outside of the show...Masquerade and Point of No Return.

We've never seen Jersey Boys or Spamalot (though both shows had Vegas runs), but we LOVE the soundtrack to Spamalot!

Avenue Q and Seussical are among favorites for me as well...one very obscure one is BIG: The Musical...we've never seen the show, but the soundtrack is catchy.

We recently heard the soundtrack for "The Book of Mormon" and are currently obsessed with it! It's from the writers of South Park and Avenue Q, not reccommended for the easily offended. But if you can handle the jokes and profanity, it's hysterical!

The Lion King was a great show! A lttle dry in the middle for my liking, but the sets/scenery/costumes were breathtaking!

I really could go on an on about shows and show soundtracks! RENT, Fiddler on the Roof, CATS, The Sound of Music, Tarzan, South Pacific, How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Bye Bye Birdie, Anything Goes, Oliver, Joeseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Starlight Express....

Ok, I'd better stop now... :roll:

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by DisneySpin » Jul Wed 04, 2012 12:32 am

I couldn't possibly rank these, but I have enjoyed The Producers, Wicked, Spamalot, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (w/ Matthew Broderick), and going back, Grease w/ Barry Bostwick, (also in Robber Bridegroom, another good one), and in the park, Pirates of Penzance w/ Kevin Kline. Oh, and Guys and Dolls w/ Nathan Lane!
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jul Sun 08, 2012 8:54 am

Phantom is definitely my favourite, although Beauty and the Beast is equally wonderful. I'm waiting for Wicked to come back to Orlando, it came to Jacksonville right before I moved here in Janaury... missed it by THAT much!

MmeLeota- when I was at BYU, they were all up in arms over The Book of Mormon musical, but personally, I think the plotline and music is hilarious! And it points out some truths the church ignores...

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Jun Sun 29, 2014 11:16 am

Grrr, I had the whole post written and then hit 'submit' and lost it because I'd been logged out. :( So here goes again.

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a question I was hoping some like minded Broadway fans out there could help me with. It's also a fitting time to ask given this week is July 4.

I recently discovered the musical "1776" about the writing of the Declaration of Independence. The original production ran for >1000 performances from 1969-1972 and starred William Daniels (who I know as Mr. Feeny from "Boy Meets World" so pretty weird to see him in a different role and singing!). A movie with many of the original cast was made in 1972 as well. A Broadway revival was mounted in 1997 and unfortunately only lasted 333 performances. That's the production I really want to see. I've listened to all the songs I can find from both cast recordings and think Brent Spiner (Adams in the revival) suits the role really well, and has a better voice. Some of the lines in the songs/play just beg to see what he did with the acting. There are audio clips on youtube if anyone wants to check it out. The opening monologue to "Sit Down John" is awesome (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jo6bCk62IQ).

Apparently the New York City library has recorded a number of musicals and plays for posterity (The Theatre on Film and Tape Archive). These are viewable by the public if you have a "legitimate" reason. According to the website these reasons include theatre professionals, students, or researchers with work or study- related reasons for viewing.

Has anyone taken advantage of this service? How closely do they check your reasons? I'd have to go with a research related one but if they check that you're actually writing a book or something I'd get denied access. It won't be happening this summer, but a trip to NYC has been on my bucket list for years, and I'd LOVE to be able to see "1776" and even some other musicals (did anyone see "The Little Mermaid"?) that never toured. Any comments/suggestions welcome and Happy Early July 4! :)
Last edited by ImagineerWannabe on Aug Sat 16, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 29, 2014 12:07 pm

Sounds interesting. I would stick pretty close to the truth. If they allow students to watch it for study-related purposes that might be your best bet. I can't imagine they have a ton of requests and unless someone else is currently watching it when you arrive, I don't know why they wouldn't allow you to see it. You might want to take the time to call them directly and ask. Then you know exactly what you will need before you get there and you won't be disappointed.
And I completely understand where you are coming from on a lost post after you have carefully typed it all out and got it to sound just like you want. Computers are not always our friends :evil: