Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Steve Jobs passes away at 56

Post by Soarin08 » Oct Wed 05, 2011 6:50 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/steve- ... d=14383813

Needless to say, I am beyond shocked. I saw it on Tumblr but had to Google to confirm. I knew he'd been having health issues but this was a surprise to say the least.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Steve Jobs passes away at 56

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Wed 05, 2011 6:54 pm

RIP Mr. Jobs. Sad to say, I am not exactly surprised. I figured he must not have been well, once he stepped down as CEO of Apple. :(

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Wed 05, 2011 6:58 pm

I just heard!!! another one of my HEROES is gone!! RIP and Prayers to his family!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Oct Wed 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:I just heard!!! another one of my HEROES is gone!! RIP and Prayers to his family!
I'm with you on that one, Jacca. Greatly admired the man and his innovation in the technology world. Definitely revolutionized things for us.

DAR
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by DAR » Oct Wed 05, 2011 7:07 pm

Truly a visionary

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Wed 05, 2011 9:52 pm

RIP

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Wed 05, 2011 10:53 pm

I was not surprised, but I hadn't expected it so soon. You may say what you want to about Apple and Microsoft, but without either of them personal computers would not be where it is today without either.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Oct Wed 05, 2011 10:54 pm

I found out about this at around 7:00PM eastern and have been in shock. It was well publicized that he was succumbing to his pancreatic cancer. As many are probably aware, Steve Jobs was the man behind PIXAR when the Walt Disney Company bought it in 2006 for over $7 billion. It made Jobs the largest shareholder in Disney with a 7% stake in the company. He was on the Disney board of directors and just recently played a key role in the rebranding of the Disney Store and the imagination park concept. His ideas of dream bigger are what helped push the Disney Store pass a regular remodel. Most notably Steve Jobs will be remembered for Apple Computer Co and all the greatness that came out of it.

The next time you walk into your IP Disney Store, pick up a call on your iPhone, listen to your iPod, go on Mac computer, or play around on an iPad, think about the great man who in some way was behind all of that. The world has lost a creative force that improved the computer, movie, and music industries.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Wed 05, 2011 11:15 pm

You also have to remember that Windows was largely "modeled" after the Mac's. Way back when, personal computers were very pricey and so was the software you could put on it. Apple and Microsoft changed it and companies that made it soooooo pricey back then like IBM and Lotus were cut down to size by these companies. Yes, Jobs did step on some throats on the way up. I can't think of any major successful entrepeneur that hasn't, but we wouldn't be on Subsonic if it wasn't him and Gates...

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 06, 2011 1:08 am

The weird thing was how the roles reversed, Gates became the "nice guy" and Jobs went total d-bag, well went public with it since it's documented how he hates to lose.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Oct Thu 06, 2011 9:53 am

I am deeply saddened. Steve Jobs and Apple has had a profound impact on our family. We cannot get along without our Apple products on a daily basis. Prayers go out to his family, and strength to his company which must go on without his leadership.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Thu 06, 2011 10:13 am

Len90 wrote:The next time you walk into your IP Disney Store, pick up a call on your iPhone, listen to your iPod, go on Mac computer, or play around on an iPad, think about the great man who in some way was behind all of that. The world has lost a creative force that improved the computer, movie, and music industries.
...and it goes way beyond that too. Anyone who listens to music through any sort of mp3 player, has any sort of smartphone, or a tablet computer...has been touched by Steve Jobs. With the creation of the ipod, iphone and ipad, our lives will never be the same. These innovative ideas (even though the tablet has been around for years) have given the world new ways of living. Even though there are many companies making these types of products out there, the innovator was (and is) Apple.

Though I do not personally own Apple products, I do have an admiration for them.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Oct Thu 06, 2011 1:30 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Len90 wrote:The next time you walk into your IP Disney Store, pick up a call on your iPhone, listen to your iPod, go on Mac computer, or play around on an iPad, think about the great man who in some way was behind all of that. The world has lost a creative force that improved the computer, movie, and music industries.
...and it goes way beyond that too. Anyone who listens to music through any sort of mp3 player, has any sort of smartphone, or a tablet computer...has been touched by Steve Jobs. With the creation of the ipod, iphone and ipad, our lives will never be the same. These innovative ideas (even though the tablet has been around for years) have given the world new ways of living. Even though there are many companies making these types of products out there, the innovator was (and is) Apple.

Though I do not personally own Apple products, I do have an admiration for them.
Or watches a Pixar movie. I hope they dedicate the next one to his memory.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Thu 06, 2011 1:47 pm

Soarin08 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:

Very true Soarin!!!! That would be a nice dedication...
I believe "Brave" is the next one due out...could be fitting. Sounds like the main character is one who is trying to make changes by trying bold, new things.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Oct Fri 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Soarin08 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:

Very true. I honestly think that none of us can go about a single day without benefiting from a product or idea that Steve Jobs had.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"